Hacking '3x' drive speed.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just because I'm not licensed as one doesn't mean that I'm not a human (though some people will argue that
biggrin.gif
).
Things are what they are even, without a license.

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Slowking said:
Just because I'm not licensed as one doesn't mean that I'm not a human (though some people will argue that
biggrin.gif
).
Things are what they are even, without a license.
But "DVD" only exists as a licensed technology, otherwise it is just an optical disc.

Without licensing from the DVDF a disc cannot be a DVD, just like Philips held the CD-Audio license away from sony when they started protecting audio cd's in the late 90's - the discs never contained a CD logo, as they weren't really a CD.

Humans otoh need no licensing to exist.

Foppzter

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slowking said:
Yeah most of those sites copy from each other. As far as I remember nintendo spokes persons only talked about some kind of addon that would enable the playback, which some site took as meaning a dongle, like with the XBOX. I mean where would you put such a dongle in the front of the Wii. There is no slot. Do you think they redisgned the Wii this much and had plans for a big dongle hanging out? and what is with the IOS that takes only calls from the "DVD channel" and not some dongle?
Btw. even a dongle wouldn't unlock 6x, so I don't see how it is relevant in discussion topics about 3x drive speed. o.O
A dongle could easily look like a USB stick these days.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok ok id you all want to nitpick do so. I'm out of this thread. Final words:

1. If something is made like a DVD, in amchines that normally make DVDs, stores the exact amount of data like a DVD, is read by DVD-lasers and lookes like a DVD, it is a DVD.

2. There was never a dongle planed. No nintendo spokes person ever said so. it was just the sites speculating. There is no sign in the system files that there was ever a check for a DVD dongle, only for the DVD channel, that could still come through the shop channel.

So enjoy taking this post apart.
wink.gif

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Slowking said:
1. If something is made like a DVD, in amchines that normally make DVDs, stores the exact amount of data like a DVD, is read by DVD-lasers and lookes like a DVD, it is a DVD.
No, it's an optical disc. How hard is that to understand.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
It's like generic medicine. Anyone can make a reasonably similar formula using the right ingredients/equipment/etc, but they'd be legally unable to call it by an existing brand name without permission.

To my knowledge Nintendo has not obtained the right to label their consoles or discs as DVD products.

samagon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be possible to write some code to make the Wii eject a legitimate disc without the drive realizing it ejected the disc and then inserting a DVD-R and doing a TOC refresh while still having that DVD-R flagged as a Wii disc? Or is all the ejection related code handled in the drive firmware?

Isaac356

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
samagon said:
Would it be possible to write some code to make the Wii eject a legitimate disc without the drive realizing it ejected the disc and then inserting a DVD-R and doing a TOC refresh while still having that DVD-R flagged as a Wii disc? Or is all the ejection related code handled in the drive firmware?

My guess is that it's probably handled by firmware.

Only thing is, you can't set the booktype to 0xFF. When setting the booktype on a DVD+R, it changes the last 4 bits, not the first four. So unless the first four bits are already 1111 on DVD+Rs and if there's a way to set a custom book type, you're not going to be able to set it to 0xFF

Okay, thanks for the info. I thought we could set all eight bits, but I guess I was wrong.

QUOTE(HowardC @ Oct 27 2008, 12:12 AM)
I hate to interrupt the constant flame fest, but have you guys even tried 0.3 of the loader? While it's still 3x, the delay isn't even noticable anymore. As I suspeceted, the slowdowns in loading were NOT caused by the 3x limitation, but by the loader itself.

The fact of the matter is, unless a game is loading HUGE chunks off the dvd at a time (which btw is completely impractical due to the wii's memory limitations) 3x vs 6x shouldn't make that much of a difference and the new beta proves this.

Unless you have a stop watch with a second-hand, I dare you to see a difference between loading times at this point.

I'd like to see this (my version is less than a couple weeks old, so it must be pretty new). Is it WiiGator's or Wanin's? Any chance you have a link?

EDIT: Just found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fX9AWWXsj4

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Haruhi said:
It's like generic medicine. Anyone can make a reasonably similar formula using the right ingredients/equipment/etc, but they'd be legally unable to call it by an existing brand name without permission.

To my knowledge Nintendo has not obtained the right to label their consoles or discs as DVD products.
Yeah but you'll still call it Aspirin, even though it says ASS on the package.

And btw: GD-Roms are just double layered CDs
tongue.gif

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Slowking said:
And btw: GD-Roms are just double layered CDs :P
A GD-Rom is a optical disc very similar to a Yellowbook disc (CD-Rom) but with shortened pit length (and possibly finer track pitch, I can't remember that long ago =] ). No oduble layers involved. ;p

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!