3in1 - Convert Lite version to GBA size

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by montymintypie, Dec 25, 2009.

Dec 25, 2009
  1. montymintypie
    OP

Newcomer montymintypie Advanced Member

Australia
    Sooo.... I'm going to buy a 3in1 expansion pack, but I've got a Phat DS. It's neigh on impossible to find the GBA size one online, and the ones that exist are stupidly expensive.

Not only does the Lite version have more NOR (I believe it has 512Mbit compared to the 256Mbit GBA size one) but it is more easily available and MUCH cheaper.

I'm wondering, how many ways are there to get it into a DS Phat? I know you can unscrew or chop off the dust cover bit and shove it in, but is it true that it is then almost impossible to get out? Is there a way to mod it to that there is some sort of a handhold or grip for easy removal?

Second option: I put it into a GBA cartridge. Is this easy to do? Is it hard to make the contacts align? Is it really worth wasting a perfectly good GBA game?

I'm assuming SOMEONE here knows the answers to these questions. At least it's not me asking ZOMG IMMA N00B PLS HELP ME I CANT USE RUMBLE HURRR DURRR. [​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

2. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    instead of going through all the trouble buy a gba sized version for tha phat ass ds from 0shippingzone

3. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    +1 to buying the phat version from 0SZ

It's not so hard anymore is it?

[​IMG] Yay another phat user. .... Must replace my ds phat sooner or later.

4. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    You can get a GBA sized EZ-Flash IV from DealExtreme.com for about $25 USD shipped. That's basically a 3-in-1 with its own memory card slot as far as GBA game support goes. It doesn't do rumble though.

As for your actual question, you could cut off the bits that prevent the lite sized 3-in-1 from fitting into the slot and affix a ribbon or somesuch so that you could pull it back out. At least one person has fit a 3-in-1 into a GBA cart, but that is not an easy mod. Nothing lines up, nothing is in the right place. It will require major surgery.

5. montymintypie
    OP

Australia
    I've considered this, but I was wondering what's the difference between the added NOR in the 3in1+? Are there ANY homebrew apps or games that actually need this, or is it just for handy multicart GBA roms?

6. Destructobot

United States
    Do you have an EZ-Flash V slot 1 cart? If not, the extra NOR doesn't make any difference at all. AFAIK all other 3-in-1 homebrew and GBA loaders only use 32MB.

Also, NOR isn't required for any homebrew other than Rudolph's DS ROM dumper, and That only uses 32MB. It cannot be used as RAM, and the 3-in-1+ has the same 16MB of RAM as the original.

7. montymintypie
    OP

Australia
    Glad I refreshed before I replied... Destructobot, you're crazy fast!

Thanks for the heads up about the added NOR. I've looked at the EZFlash IV card before, but I decided I needed the RAM (never know when I might find a use for DSLinux [​IMG] ). As for the modding to make it fit, pity it'd be such a bitch to make it fit. Ah well...

I reckon I'll just get the GBA sized one from 0shippingzone then. Thanks for the lightning fast replies everyone, and Merry Christmas!

8. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    You can buy replacement cases for the 3-in-1 on many sites... it's only $0.25 usually.
    It has a White DSLite case, a clear Smoke DSLite case and a clear Smoke DS 'phat' case.

I'll take a look around and see if I can find one again.

Since you can put it into a replacement case, if you have a triwing and an old GBA game that doesn't work or you don't play... scavenge the case from that. You can use some clear/scotch/cellophane or double sided tape to hold it down if it doesn't say snug on its own.

9. Destructobot

United States
    You're thinking of the M3 GBA expansion. The 3-in-1 doesn't have replacement cases because the rumble motor is glued to the inside of the case.

10. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Nah... I'm pretty sure that they were for 3-in-1's.
    Because that's what I was looking at when they'd come up in recommended/related items.
    I didn't know you could buy the M3 GBA expansion without an M3 to be honest.

Which ones are glued in?
    Because I've seen pics of the DS Lite 3-in-1 without their shell.

11. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    So what about the 3in1 PCBs, I have seen them as well.

example with contents listing, a GBA shell, a black lite shell, and smoke black lite shell
    RHS: http://www.realhotstuff.com/expansion-pack-real-p-266.html

You can mod a cheap GBA flashcart shell to put a 3in1+ in, the 3in1+ is only useful if you plan to use the multi-rom mode with a EZ-Flash V slot1 only. The back area of the shell has to be sanded or carved out enough space to fit the PCB in and clearence for the chips. Then you have to use something like a glue gun to hold the PCB down in place from shifting around.

Other than that it is very much cheaper, faster, and less of a headache trying to fit new hardware into a GBA shell; to buy a GBA sized 3in1.

No the 3in1 NEVER came with interchangable shells. The EZ4 lites came with interchangable shells.

12. montymintypie
    OP

Australia
    It's good to know I have absolutely no use for the 3in1+ [​IMG]

I'm going to use AKAIO with my Acekard to do everything.

13. TCJJ

Member TCJJ GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    I have to say thanks to everyone who mentioned 0shippingzone. I had a fake GBA game (a friend got it from Singapore), and I have had a near-impossible time getting a GBA-sized 3 in 1. But this is the perfect (and cheapest as far as I can find) solution.

14. sfg

Member sfg GBAtemp Regular

United States
  15. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    Since PharaohsVizier already said it did and you didn't bother to READ it. Here is a picture of what the RTC looks like is on the M3 GEP.

[​IMG]

16. sfg

Member sfg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks... I know he answered, but that was for the bundle. The link there is for the GEP only (which I'm more interested in buying than the bundle) and anyway, since there are versions without a RTC I want to be sure especially since it isn't listed in the features.

Thanks again.

17. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    You can't buy the ones without RTC because it is like the 3in1 v1, they had supply issues. Anything you buy now is going to be this version, with RTC.