3ds XL top screen protector

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by arapozo, Oct 25, 2013.

1. arapozo
    OP

arapozo GBAtemp Regular

May 19, 2008
    Is there any way to remove the top screen protector that sits in front of the lcd?
    Recently it has gotten a couple of dust particles inside of it and is driving me insane.

2. arapozo
    OP

arapozo GBAtemp Regular

May 19, 2008
    Nobody else has experienced this problem?

3. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view user location.
    You can open it up by removing the screws that are covered up by the 4 rounded corner squares found around the top screen.

Of couse people experience this. People tend to just avoid doing anything that causes this in the first place like putting it in a lint filled pocket.

[​IMG]

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20120802/231891/

4. zb123

zb123 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 24, 2013
    Canada
    I just removed my top shell and replaced it and it's extremely hard to get back on correctly, It's sort of off and causes the edges to be a bit sharp.

5. jax604

jax604 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2012
    Canada
    The CIty
    I would recommend you not to open up that area just to clean it, usually you'll end up with more dust inside than before, unless it's really that bad.

6. Phoenix0806

Phoenix0806 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 27, 2013
    United States
    Agree with what Jax604 said. Do not open the console unless it is so bad that needs to be opened.

7. innercy

innercy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 22, 2006
    my previous experience opening the top cover of 3ds was a disaster!!

8. arapozo
    OP

arapozo GBAtemp Regular

May 19, 2008
    I opened it and close it back again. The screen and the front are actually hold together so it would take some work to separate them.
    That leaves me thinking how the hell does something get inside. Based also on the fact that I do not put this on my pockets or anywhere dusty enough.
    I put one of those screen films on top and is less noticeable, if it gets where I can't stand it I'll sell it and buy an new one.

9. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view user location.
    It is glued together or it is held down by double sided film. If you end up removing too much of the adhesive, I can recommend you get this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WIQW3U/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This will allow you to rebond anything you need since it is normally used in cell phones and small electronics that are have things that are held together with this type of adhesive. You might have to find the EU equivalent seller on from amazon in your region though.

10. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    Get a can of compressed air and just try every possible area? If the dust got in there then there must be a way to push air through. Even if you can't get it out you might be able to push it to the side.