3DS XL speakers louder than DS Lite's?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by badbob001, Jul 9, 2013.

1. badbob001
    OP

badbob001 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2008
    United States
    The speakers on my DS Lite are not very loud. If I were to get a 3DS XL, would the speakers be louder? I think the 3DS has a surround-sound effect that needs to be turned off to get more volume.

2. McHaggis

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    The 3DS XL speakers are quieter than the 3DS speakers, not sure about the DS Lite. The volume is more than enough for me, but I've heard people complaining about it.

3. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Their penny sized speakers.
    If you want quality sound then you're pretty much forced to buy dedicated ones.
    Or get a good pair of headphones.

4. Coto

Coto GBAtemp Addict

Jun 4, 2010
    Chile
    3DS XL speakers: better fidelity (improved, about 1.45x the ammount of khz the main 3DS speakers), through headphones, the same.

DS Lite speakers: about 0.75 out 1 (compared to 3DS XL) in terms of volume, which is definitely lower than normal 3DS (about 1/3 on the 3DS XL out 1, being normal 3DS).
    fidelity, 0.4 out 1 (compared to 3DS XL, again)

5. donelwero

donelwero GBAtemp Fan

Jul 17, 2008
    Mexico
    León, Gto.
    Yes, you can change the surround settings to stereo to get more volume, but it's not that much. I don't remember if the sound on the XL is louder than in the DS Lite but I'd guess that the DS is louder.

People usually complains about the volume on the XL because they got used to the volume on the normal 3DS, at least, that happened to me.

6. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    I find my DSi being louder than my regular 3DS and a friend's DS Lite, but I never tested it versus a DSi XL or 3DS XL, but remember people posting about the DSi XL being louder than the regular DSi, aside from that the DSi has a better sound chip so the audio is better than previous DS models and I fell the 3DS speakers sounding as clear as the DSi ones but with less bass.