3DS XL D-Pad is loose...

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Thirty3Three, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Thirty3Three
    OP

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    The title pretty much sums it up... I bought it, new, etc. Played it for the first time, and the d-pad is loose, jiggles, and makes an annoying sounds when I TOUCH the d-pad. Like, you can HEAR the loose-ness of it; if that makes sense... Sorry for the vagueness.

Is this normal? Will it get better with use?

yuyuyup likes this.
  2. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    That's normal, don't worry.
    All the 3DS XL have ''loose'' D-pads and it makes sounds when you shake ur 3DS.
    And yeah touching it too makes those sounds.

3. Thirty3Three
    OP

Mar 22, 2013
    United States

Thanks so much, yet again! That really helped me feel better about the issue, thanks dude!

4. Pong20302000

Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Sep 8, 2009
    One's inner self
    pretty sure its the Gyro senor that is under it

funny how anal people get about any sound

5. Thirty3Three
    OP

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Thanks!

And yeah, I get incredibly OCD about the simplest things like that

6. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    It IS annoying, but believe it or not, the loose shaky bullshit is MUCH worse with the normal old 3DS. You would think with over 2 decades of d-pads under their belts, they could get it right for the 3DS.

7. GBA rocks

GBA rocks GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2013
    In my limited experience (a red/black and a pikachu), not all the 3DS XLs d-pads are created equal.

The d-pad on my red/black, while not as firm as on my DSi XL, was stiff enough for me not to notice the issue at all.

The d-pad on my pikachu is so loose it's ridicolous, my OCD make me "play" with it and constantly notice the looseness and the stupid sound.

F.U. Nintendo for not getting a d-pad right on your dedicated gaming handhelds.

yuyuyup likes this.
  8. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    It IS normal, and it IS bullshit. Nintendo has decades of d-pads under their belt, and they absolutely throw it all out the window with the 3DS. And the original 3DS (at least mine) was much worse with the incredibly loose d-pad (I mean the god damn thing sticks to your THUMB, it is NOT optimal for precise gaming AT ALL.)

Like GBA rocks says, perhaps the d-pad quality varies between systems. But even that is a joke, there should obviously be a uniform NINTENDO quality d-pad. What a shame.

9. GBA rocks

GBA rocks GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2013
    I wonder if this could be fixed somehow by disassembling the console and "tinkering" with the d-pad or swapping it altogether.
    Unfortunately reaching the d-pad from below is a mess and I am not comfortable doing it just to give it a look..

10. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    I damn near want to do it, if someone gives me some good ideas how to go about it

11. CrimzonEyed

CrimzonEyed GBAtemp Addict

Sep 3, 2007
    The best d-pad I have ever used is the one on my ds phat and my nes controller's.