3DS XL and Flashcarts

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by sk3tch, Aug 27, 2012.

Aug 27, 2012

3DS XL and Flashcarts by sk3tch at 5:25 PM (1,610 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. sk3tch
    OP

Member sk3tch GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hi everyone. I've been out of the scene for a while. I have a red 3DS XL with the latest firmware (updated when I received it - doh!). I just bought a Supercard DSTwo and the company that sold it will update it to 1.17 or higher for me. Is there any caveats to using the Supercard DSTwo with a 3DS XL? What capabilities will I have with the two that I would be missing otherwise? Thanks!

2. Peleep

Newcomer Peleep Member

United Kingdom
    It works perfectly on my 3DS XL , and on my DS XL. Ie no caveats apart from don't update you unit until the fine folks at DSTWo have an update ready. Enjoy!

1 person likes this.
  3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    DSTwo firmware 1.17 will work just fine.

The DSTwo (and most other flash carts*) operate in a 3DS the same as they would in a DS. They only run DS games and homebrew, and there's no emulation speedup on a 3DS versus a DS.

* - The only flash cart that operates higher then DS-mode is the iEvolution, but it's broken and unsupported.

1 person likes this.
  4. sk3tch
    OP

United States
    Thanks a lot for the quick response. Are 3DS games playable or is it only DSi and earlier? I did not order a microSHDC card with my Supercard DSTwo - I assume they can update it for me and I can use my own microSDHC when I receive it - no problems? Thanks again.

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Nothing plays 3DS ROMs, period.

DSi-games fall into two categories. The first are DSi-only games, they are only playable by the iEvo, but it's broken, and most of those games are little girl makeup games using the camera anyways. The second type is DSi-enhanced games, these are DS-games that can use some extra features if used in a DSi. The only cart that runs them in DSi-mode is the iEvo, but it's broken and such. If a DSi-enhanced game is played in a flash cart or DS/Lite they act like normal DS games, without the DSi-enhancements. Again no big loss.

tl;dr: Flash carts always play games as if they were being played in a DS/Lite.

And yes you can use your own MicroSD. Please get a good-quality one, don't buy cheap-ass fakes from ebay.

2 people like this.
  6. sk3tch
    OP

United States
    Thanks! I bought a Samsung 32GB direct from Amazon (Amazon.com is the seller) - http://www.amazon.co...uct/B005TUQV0E/. I read that the Supercard DSTwo can handle up to 32GB so I figured I may as well max it.

Thanks again!

7. Chrisssj2

Member Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    I got the same card as u sk3tch just waiting for my supercard dstwo to arrive tommorrow.