3DS won't read any game cartridges.

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Super1710, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Super1710
    OP

Super1710 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2016
    All of sudden my CFW New 3DS (Small) can't read game cartridges, the last game I had in was working and I took it out and hadn't put a game in for over a week and no none of my game carts show up on the menu, I blew into the cartridges and the slot but no luck. Sending it to Nintendo isn't an option because of my CFW of course, and I already have my games digitally but there isn't a good solution to run DS games on my SD card (nds-bootstrap still needs a lot of work). Is there any way to fix it?

2. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    Try cleaning the contacts with some contact cleaner perhaps?

3. konsolenumbau.expert

konsolenumbau.expert GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2016
    Germany
    Rieps
    Sometimes the pins are bend in the reader itself. Should be visible with a lite. If so sometimes it's fixable by opening the ds and bend the pins back by grabbing them over the solder point of each pin and pushing them back. Bit better solution is simply soldering a new cardslot to the device.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

4. Super1710
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2016
    Welp, I have no idea about how the insides work and I don't know if I have access to a contact cleaner. I'll look into it.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I don't want to solder in case I break it or something, but I'll check the pins.

5. konsolenumbau.expert

Feb 7, 2016
    Germany
    Rieps
    You got to be very careful by cleaning the pins with a q-tip or such thing. Like I wrote these pins in the card slot like to bend.

6. Super1710
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2016
    I think the pins were bent, I did try getting a bit of dirt near the edge out so I used tissue (please don't kill me) and must have bent the pins. shouldn't be too hard to bend them back right? Also I did this before inserting a game card.

konsolenumbau.expert likes this.
  7. konsolenumbau.expert

Feb 7, 2016
    Germany
    Rieps
    Well whatever did the trick. At least it's working againhave fun.

8. Super1710
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2016
    I haven't fixed it yet, just figured out what done it in the first place, anyway thanks for your help.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Can you give me any tips on bending the pins back in place? I'm afraid because I'm not very experienced with this stuff.

Last edited by Super1710, Jul 22, 2017
  9. konsolenumbau.expert

Feb 7, 2016
    Germany
    Rieps
    Hmm. Well like I said sometimes the pins are pushed "backwards"... So open up the ds and view every pin from the backside of the slot. When you can see some bended pins simply push them back with a tweazer... Always look in the slot as well to check they are in position. Like I said sometimes it's simply necassery to swap the hole slot... That off cause would involve soldering.

10. Super1710
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2016
    Thanks for the advice. If I do need to solder I'll consult someone with experience... Thanks again.

11. 3DSPoet

3DSPoet GBAtemp Fan

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    I bought a used 3ds xl from a pawn shop that wouldn't read any cartridges...A light and some precision fumbling found that the pins were, in fact, bent. A little more precision fumbling and they were straightened....cartridges readable again.