Homebrew 3ds video player, why is it so hard?

ItsMetaKnight

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wrong. The movie has to be stored on the SD card's root directory.
The Movie Player will then IMPORT the movie into exdata (and delete the file from the SD card).
I have observed this before. But I didn't have the chance to get the files.

amicus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wrong. The movie has to be stored on the SD card's root directory.
The Movie Player will then IMPORT the movie into exdata (and delete the file from the SD card).
I have observed this before. But I didn't have the chance to get the files.
OK, I have not checked this, but it makes sense. In any way, there is mention of Mobiclip in the ram, so that I am at 99% sure that it moflex videos.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bear in mind too, that scaling down the resolution to what the 3ds is actually capable of displaying would drastically cut CPU requirements. X264 seems viable since we're dealing with resolutions that are significantly lower than even DVD. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the n3ds could even manage x265 (once again provided the video is chopped down to the screens resolution).
N3DS, sure. I'm still in the mindset of the o3DS since that's what I have to work with. N3DS wouldn't surprise me at all, but o3DS I doubt could go beyond baseline level 3 for h.264, and that's being optimistic. At least not without an unhealthy amount of work and time spent on it.

ashxu

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Kinda broken logic if you ask me. There's plenty of other devices to say...load Linux onto as well, yet we have Linux on the 3ds. Also that's under the (incorrect) presumption that everyone has a smartphone. To this day, I still know some people that swar by flip phones.
You're just trying to be a smart ass but I'll bite.

It's a pretty good assumption that if you live in a first world country you have a smartphone. Everyone has a phone, even then you'd have to have a really fucking old phone if it can't play videos. If you can't afford a carrier subscription to get a newer phone then you sure as fuck probably don't have the money for a 3DS.

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Wrong.
It's a pretty good assumption that if you live in a first world country you have a smartphone.
Also wrong. Last stat I saw had smartphone ownership sitting at something like 61 percent of the adult population in the US, and lower elsewhere.
Everyone has a phone, even then you'd have to have a really fucking old phone if it can't play videos. If you can't afford a carrier subscription to get a newer phone then you sure as fuck probably don't have the money for a 3DS.

Wrong yet again. Some people actively choose not to have a smart phone, because it usually REQUIRES a data plan while carrying a flip phone usually doesn't. This isn't always strictly about being flat broke either, but rather about not wanting to flush money on stuff that they may not actively use.

Lucar

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

It's a pretty good assumption that if you live in a first world country you have a smartphone. Everyone has a phone, even then you'd have to have a really fucking old phone if it can't play videos. If you can't afford a carrier subscription to get a newer phone then you sure as fuck probably don't have the money for a 3DS.

Well, looks like I must live in a third world country because I'm a teen who doesn't have a phone.

Syria, HERE I COME!

But seriously, some people may just not NEED or WANT a phone. And then there are teens who don't have phones because parents.

Lucar

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A phone is pretty necessary in this day an age unless you never go outside or have no one to talk to lol

You don't need a phone to be able to breathe, think independantly, drink, run, etc.

It's not nesessary, and some people just simply don't need a smartphone. Flip-phones and Land Lines FTW.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not necessarily true. Smartphone data plans tend to be more expensive (and required) while regular phones you can get a regular plan for a fraction of the cost. Now, I just carry around a smartphone without service and a regular phone with service, but I'm sure there are others that don't want to carry around that many devices. I'm always near an AP, so I don't need a data plan. I don't like spending money if I can't justify it, as I am a college student and will pinch pennies hard enough to get Scrooge all hot and bothered. :grog:

Though, if finances are the main reason people don't have a smartphone, even without service, LG Optimus Fuels are only $20 on Ebay without a service contract. Nothing spectacular, but it'll play videos, browse the web, and so on just fine.

Reactions: Deleted User

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A phone is pretty necessary in this day an age unless you never go outside or have no one to talk to lol

Although I agree with this, there's certainly no requirement of it being a smartphone (or even a cellphone at all). You seem to have a very skewed viewpoint on this topic, and while a lot of people do have smartphone, it's nowhere near everyone.

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I had the idea to use the ETC 1 texture compression(which the 3DS supports natively) for videos. Because with ETC 1 4*4 pixels are packed to one 4 byte long block, the difference between the last or a keyframe could be stored with less memory.

I don't know if this method is useable, it's just an idea.

3DSPoet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although I agree with this, there's certainly no requirement of it being a smartphone (or even a cellphone at all). You seem to have a very skewed viewpoint on this topic, and while a lot of people do have smartphone, it's nowhere near everyone.

A phone (of any kind) is no more necessary today than it was 200 years ago. Less so, actually, given that anyone who can see this post has access to an infinite number of communication options (ie the internet). If you have neither a computer or a phone, then you wouldn't be reading this thread. :P

That being said, this thread hasn't a thing to do with phones, it has to do with why a video player isn't workable on the 3DS. Stop arguing and get back on topic. ^_^

Also, read my signature....

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

pdapanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
If people had stopped copying from others'.projects each other and talking everything like impossible,there should already have been a proper x264 player for 3ds since 1 year ago.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

new 3ds can hold h.264 480p.3D videos, it's more powerful than that you thinked about

Last edited by pdapanda,

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If people had stopped copying from others'.projects each other and talking everything like impossible,there should already have been a proper x264 player for 3ds since 1 year ago.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

new 3ds can hold h.264 480p.3D videos, it's more powerful than that you thinked about

By all means then, practice what you preach and build one. I'll be waiting.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: because I already got burned out with breath of the wild, which for the most part is essentially...