You slammin, bro?
OP
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
A Video-Chat service similar to skype or probably Facetime?

I haven't found a topic specifically about this on GBAtemp...

Does anyone think it is probable Nintendo will get off their butts and make a video-calling app? The 3DS has really been out a while now, and I think they could have made something simple by now, such as an app that can call at least "other 3DS users" if not more than that. They said forever ago they planned on adding a 3D video recorder. Finally it can play Netflix, and in pretty good quality too. (Try Phineas and Ferb
nyanya.gif
) It doesn't even have Pictochat anymore, much less a messaging system to message your 3DS friends which you had to type in a code to even register.

I've recently been facetiming some people with my dad's iPad 2, and it can be really fun. The fact that we can play a multiplayer/online game with each other while in different states and being able to talk/curse each other as if using a phone at the same time is a really neat addition. Do you think Nintendo will make something or not? Or do you think it will just take forever? I love Nintendo, but I realize that sometimes they can be really stupid... I believe 3DS is powerful enough; it's just up to Nintendo. I'm seriously considering getting a new ipod touch to be able to facetime my cousin since it is so easy. I'd rather not shell out that money though...

thela_kid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Presto99 said:
A Video-Chat service similar to skype or probably Facetime?

I haven't found a topic specifically about this on GBAtemp...

Does anyone think it is probable Nintendo will get off their butts and make a video-calling app? The 3DS has really been out a while now, and I think they could have made something simple by now, such as an app that can call at least "other 3DS users" if not more than that. They said forever ago they planned on adding a 3D video recorder. Finally it can play Netflix, and in pretty good quality too. (Try Phineas and Ferb
nyanya.gif
) It doesn't even have Pictochat anymore, much less a messaging system to message your 3DS friends which you had to type in a code to even register.

I've recently been facetiming some people with my dad's iPad 2, and it can be really fun. The fact that we can play a multiplayer/online game with each other while in different states and being able to talk/curse each other as if using a phone at the same time is a really neat addition. Do you think Nintendo will make something or not? Or do you think it will just take forever? I love Nintendo, but I realize that sometimes they can be really stupid... I believe 3DS is powerful enough; it's just up to Nintendo. I'm seriously considering getting a new ipod touch to be able to facetime my cousin since it is so easy. I'd rather not shell out that money though...

possible: yes. probable: no.
ninty never utilizes the awesome technology they invent

Tapia Would

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i know i really wish the mic would be used other then recording it sucks to have it right there and you cant even talk to the ppl your playing with its ridiculous.

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if they can add the inner facing camera and voice to star fox, then this seems like a very feasible operation of this fine 250$ device... if nintendo does not want to make this option available it will show with the sales of the 3ds. maybe in the future it will become available along with the other things ninty has promised this device to receive. and if they dont , sure as shit it will be hacked.....and when it is it will turn the 3ds into a must have piece of equipment.

thela_kid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Demonstryde said:
if they can add the inner facing camera and voice to star fox, then this seems like a very feasible operation of this fine 250$ device... if nintendo does not want to make this option available it will show with the sales of the 3ds. maybe in the future it will become available along with the other things ninty has promised this device to receive. and if they dont , sure as shit it will be hacked.....and when it is it will turn the 3ds into a must have piece of equipment.

now THAT is what i'm waiting for. when the big n fails to give, the haxxorz shall come to the rescue! i anticipate the 3ds will be an even better homebrew platform than the wii was

deadmaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I still believe they're gonna do something about it. It can't be just a coincidence that they put a kind of video communication on a game for no reason. They're probably testing its performance and the reception of the general public. Well, at least that's what I wanna believe.
tongue.gif

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Sure it's possible.

However there's limitations: Firstly, there's only one front-facing camera so no 3D. Secondly, that lone camera is VGA (crap)

So it can be done but it wouldn't be the best Video chat in the world. (if it's ever done at all)

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
Pippin666 said:
You know what, I didn't see any topic about my 3Ds making good pancakes when it's hacked, I guess I don't know the anwswer. I am dumb like you I will craete my own topic about that.

Pip'

This makes so little sense, I bow to you. The topic is not about 'will it do it when hacked', rather 'will it do it officially, opinions please'.

I personally don't care about video chat, but the ability to pop up a message to a friend mid-game to ask if they want a quick DOA battle or whatever would be very handy- I added a bunch of people to play DOA with and have yet to have a single match due to the logistics of needing to be playing whilst IM'ing or texting someone and just getting a heap of "not yet i'm at the shadow temple"/ "I'm in the bath"/ "I'm just finishing a match"

I'd prefer the pancakes

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
actually starfox 64 3d online will have video chat & its in 3d.
so possibly 3d 3ds video chat app will be out by then. Nintendo said there looking into it & worlmg on it & 3ds will get that feature.

other thoughts:
when is Nintendo 3ds video comeing to America?
is it gonna be another wii no ma? where we don't get it? hope not. annoys me when Nintendo makes Japanese exclusive. wiiware, dsiware, 3dsware, ect.

_elf_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I bealive it will happen. But the downside is that it won't have 3D Video Chat... there is only 1 inner camera
unsure.gif

But i think that in time it will appear. They are making some games with it..they are testing
happy.gif

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well i think as long as there is no profit in for nintendo they won't do a video chat ... only if there is a way to get some money out of it.

t377y000 said:
so possibly 3d 3ds video chat app will be out by then. Nintendo said there looking into it & worlmg on it & 3ds will get that feature.

How is this supposed to work with only one Camera -.-V

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
Youkai said:
Well i think as long as there is no profit in for nintendo they won't do a video chat ... only if there is a way to get some money out of it.

t377y000 said:

How is this supposed to work with only one Camera -.-V

starfox doesnt even have online AFAIK.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im sure there's going to be some form of chat seeing as how the new starfox will let you see your opponents faces im sure the next step is a voice chat for a game like KI:uprisings multiplayer. But dont expect a full face time voice chat anytime soon

MG4M3R

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Pokemon Black and White has videochat and is a DSi game.

I think that we can expect something with the same quality on 3DS, but running a 3DS title at the same time.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
it's possible, but Nintendo is not that kinda smart. they like to create new stuff, but usually doesn't trailblaze when it comes to using it.

it will most likely be the eventual hackers/homebrew scene that'll make such apps... too bad Nintendo doesn't have anything remotely close to the App Store or the Android store...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay