Gaming 3DS using MobiClip codec for videos ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not 100% sure if this link is real or April Fools, but it seems that the code is mentioning MobiClip codec (which was used in GBA and DS under the name of ActImagine).

For me this is bad news, as this is a highly proprietary, closed codec with no free encoders available. There are some tools on warez sites, but they seem to be targetting Nokia S60 phones (not sure if they generate 3DS-compatibile content). I'm wondering if it'll be possible to manually encode own movie rips for 3DS someday...

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well the 3DS needs to be hacked first before people can start making a third-party video player for it.
Also, I think the MobiClip is for in-game cinematics. What's more important is figuring out what codec was used for the OK Go sample video.

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
DeMoN said:
Well the 3DS needs to be hacked first before people can start making a third-party video player for it.
Also, I think the MobiClip is for in-game cinematics. What's more important is figuring out what codec was used for the OK Go sample video. I wasn't referring to homebrew. It is highly possible that some kind of movie player will be included in May's firmware update from Nintendo. Movies would be probably downloaded from web to your SD card. Then, if we had an encoder capable of producing video files in the same format, we would be able to watch own videos using Nintendo's official player.

Why would they choose a different codec for cutscenes and a different one for videoclips ? Especially that MobiClip is optimized for low power consumption on ARM processors...

QUOTE(XanLoves @ Apr 4 2011, 01:18 AM) Super© is probably the best freeware encoder and quickly adds new popular devices for easy conversion. I've not used it in a while, but I'm sure it worked for dpg - moonshell ds videos.
It's highly likely to support the 3DS
You don't understand. DPG file is basically MPEG-1 video + MP3 audio in a custom container. There are multiple free, opensource implementations of these codecs. However, MobiClip is totally closed, proprietary, and not free. I don't see SUPER developers buying unlimited license for producing MobiClip files with their software...

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was already a very large chance that anything nintendo released for movies would be proprietary, contain DRM, or both... That said, nintendo has stated that 3d video will be recordable at SOME point. It seems unlikely that they won't let people use their own videos how they like.

Guess we'll just have to sit back and wait.

D

Deleted User

Here's an idea. USE REGULAR CODECS. Its not like your bloody 3DS cart is 32mb anymore. 2GB is enough for a 10 second cinematic

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
MobiClip was also used on the DS, but nothing stopped Moonshell from creating its proprietary DPG format, and nothing will stop developers when (and if) they'll be able to create homebrew on the 3DS, so I can't really see how that is bad news for you, since MobiClip wasn't used before in homebrew, and won't be used in the future.

MobiClip is just for game devs, you DON'T need it. And even if encoders for it existed, what would you do with the encoded videos? Nothing, since the 3DS doesn't have a "play video" function
tongue.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This matter seems somewhat academic at present but who am I trying to kid- I love this sort of thing.

tigris said:
Here's an idea. USE REGULAR CODECS. Its not like your bloody 3DS cart is 32mb anymore. 2GB is enough for a 10 second cinematic

That might be OK in Europe but the US was foolish enough to allow software patents which changes damn near everything- see the mess that is the upcoming HTML5 video debate. If they (devs and Nintendo) can pass the buck on the inevitable claim of infringement (this is the US patent office we are talking about) then that is even better.

By all accounts though mobiclip is locked down tight- as in extra layers/phone homes on top of the nitro/TWL SDK's already somewhat considerable protection.

+1 to the stuff you have seen around being for phones and pretty much entirely different to the stuff we saw on the DS.

Hopefully CRI and/or bink/rad can make more inroads this time (they had a few things on the DS but nothing much).

Maybe one day but if video is going to be even more complex than http://www.cmlab.csie.ntu.edu.tw/cml/dsp/t...g/coding/mpeg1/ (hint- that is probably about as simple as video gets short of actual sequence of bitmaps) I do not hold out much hope. Maybe at least we can try to inject them into another rom, it would not be the first cross system hack to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt