GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Ooow sorry to bother you then.

No problem man, I wasn't clear.

However I WAS able to fix my problem! It took a while but was worth it. Here're the steps I took.

1) Backed up emuNAND again (with emuNAND tool)
2) Backed up .cia save files with savedatafiler
3) Copied SD card to PC
4) Formatted emuNAND (which meant the new emuNAND was version 4.2)
5) Formatted sysNAND (to separate the sysNAND with new emuNAND)
6) Used the program 3DNUS to download the 9.5.0-23U update as a bunch of .cia files in a folder
7) Dragged the folder to SD card. Booted into emuNAND and used BBM to install all the .cia files at once
8) Restarted and booted back into emuNAND (which was now 9.5.0-23U!!!)
9) Redownloaded .cia files and used savedatafiler to restore the save data.
10) Backed up emuNAND again in case I need to restore it later.

Reactions: Margen67

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No problem man, I wasn't clear.

However I WAS able to fix my problem! It took a while but was worth it. Here're the steps I took.

1) Backed up emuNAND again (with emuNAND tool)
2) Backed up .cia save files with savedatafiler
3) Copied SD card to PC
4) Formatted emuNAND (which meant the new emuNAND was version 4.2)
5) Formatted sysNAND (to separate the sysNAND with new emuNAND)
6) Used the program 3DNUS to download the 9.5.0-23U update as a bunch of .cia files in a folder
7) Dragged the folder to SD card. Booted into emuNAND and used BBM to install all the .cia files at once
8) Restarted and booted back into emuNAND (which was now 9.5.0-23U!!!)
9) Redownloaded .cia files and used savedatafiler to restore the save data.
10) Backed up emuNAND again in case I need to restore it later.

Good job. The only thing you could have done differently is just format emunand from the emunand settings menu. That would have saved having to download using 3DNUS. making a periodic emunand backup is a great idea, saves as well. :)

Ericzander

Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Good job. The only thing you could have done differently is just format emunand from the emunand settings menu. That would have saved having to download using 3DNUS. making a periodic emunand backup is a great idea, saves as well. :)
I did format via the settings menu. I used 3DNUS so that it brought the 4.2 emuNAND to 9.5. Since if I just updated via emuNAND it would have sent me right to 9.6 which doesn't work right now as I understand it.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did format via the settings menu. I used 3DNUS so that it brought the 4.2 emuNAND to 9.5. Since if I just updated via emuNAND it would have sent me right to 9.6 which doesn't work right now as I understand it.
I meant your original 9.5 emunand. just doing a format from the settings menu would have deleted the update nag. You still would have needed to SDF for the saves first and the reinstalled everthing.

Ericzander

Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I meant your original 9.5 emunand. just doing a format from the settings menu would have deleted the update nag. You still would have needed to SDF for the saves first and the reinstalled everthing.

Oh is that right? Didn't think of that. Oh well it wasn't much of a difference. For some reason I figured that my 9.5 file was to forever be corrupted by the update nag.

All this hassle with reinstalling .cia files though, I almost feel I should switch to .3dz to avoid the hassle next time!

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh is that right? Didn't think of that. Oh well it wasn't much of a difference. For some reason I figured that my 9.5 file was to forever be corrupted by the update nag.

All this hassle with reinstalling .cia files though, I almost feel I should switch to .3dz to avoid the hassle next time!
My plan going forward it cia only for online games. There are trade offs with each approach.

Ericzander

Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
My plan going forward it cia only for online games. There are trade offs with each approach.

My current strategy is .cia for offline and .3dz for online. I just figured that if Nintendo starts banning for more than public headers in the future it'll be easier for them to see unbought headerless cias than .3dz with private headers. Just a shot in the dark though.

Johnny91

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello,

so i had a n3ds with 9.0 sysnand and 9.5 emunand... but today i updated emunand because i wanted do update my pokemon...
now i cant start gateway mode (next time i look here first before i do updates)...

when i format emunand... are my save files also deleted or can i use them on 9.0 emunand, i have all my roms in .3dz format.
and how can i update to 9.6 or update my pokemon game.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello,

so i had a n3ds with 9.0 sysnand and 9.5 emunand... but today i updated emunand because i wanted do update my pokemon...
now i cant start gateway mode (next time i look here first before i do updates)...

when i format emunand... are my save files also deleted or can i use them on 9.0 emunand, i have all my roms in .3dz format.
and how can i update to 9.6 or update my pokemon game.

Im not sure about the saves but all the updates for every game are available in .cia format. If you have a emunand backup you can just restore it via the emunand tool. If not you screwed up big time since it seems that a 9.6 emunand wont be coming anytime soon for the N3DS.

Johnny91

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
now i'm back on 9.0 emunand.

i formatted emunand again. but before i saved my whole sd card on pc
after formatting i put the saves back on sd and they are working

can someone give me a link where i can find
1) game updates in .cia
2) g3ds 9.5 in .cia

so i guess 9.6 will not be supported soon.

Alucardj77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
we all see that GW team this time have a little problems with new emunand(exp with new3ds)support,right now that is not a problem for a N3DS with 9.5 emunand,think before act is always the best thing to do if you don't want to regret after!3DNUS was 100% safe for updating to 9.5 and stay! ;)

lil-g-gamegenius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, it been almost a month and not even a "don't update" on they're site. I know its supposed to be "Soon" but this is ridiculous
Btw since I can't use the eshop, how do I update a retail cart (super smash bros.) With a CIA? If I try to use any app I installed from gateway mode Doesn't open. My sysnand is 8.1 and the emunand is 9.5 and its unlinked.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, it been almost a month and not even a "don't update" on they're site. I know its supposed to be "Soon" but this is ridiculous
Btw since I can't use the eshop, how do I update a retail cart (super smash bros.) With a CIA? If I try to use any app I installed from gateway mode Doesn't open. My sysnand is 8.1 and the emunand is 9.5 and its unlinked.

You're out of luck if you own a cart and want to play in classic mode unfortunatley. The update sign's itself when downloaded from the eShop, so CIA install won't be recognized correctly in classic mode. Your best option is to backup your SSB cart, install the update CIA in emunand and play it that way. I think you can do some mojo with savedatafiler and exporting the save from your cart too but I haven't messed with that just yet.

Reactions: cvskid and Margen67

Lehas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I play Pokemon Omega Rubin with my Gatewaycard on my Nintendo 3DS XL Emunand 9.3.0. Is there a way to play it online with my actual save file? if not, can i play online when gateway supports emunand 9.6? Can i update then normally over the e-shop?

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dumb question but who do people care so much about updating their games? Did the newer version of Smash Bros. actually add anything? I can understand Mario Kart 7 as it fixes some glitches. I noticed even Majora's Mask has an update that people are seeking yet the game doesn't even have online play. Genuinely curious.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyxeZ7JYwZs&pp=ygUJVnIgaXMgZ2F5 +1