Hacking 3DS unbricking progress

olfa

Trophies
XP
Country
Bolivia
ok, good news
seems brick was because of some bad contact in nand mod
(which is very strange, cause i got it running for some months now ...
added some glue to avoid it ....)

so no brick (yet) because of the new fw
sorry again, for scaring everyone
(it s just i already got it bricked with previous fw, so i became very suspicious)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Question, I've made a NAND backup with my SD Card reader, if I were to write it back, would my 3DS (Not XL) brick without this "Unlock"?

Thanks!
you only need to unbrick if you have the blue screen of death, you can upgrade and downgrade at will with a hardware mod and SD reader

Reactions: Adr990

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Question, I've made a NAND backup with my SD Card reader, if I were to write it back, would my 3DS (Not XL) brick without this "Unlock"?

Thanks!

Writing back an image to the device it was dumped from would only brick it if there were or are errors while dumping it or writing it back (aka a bad dump or a bad flash).

The tools presented in this thread would be of little to no help then, as they are only meant to remove a very certain software triggered brick, removing a password and temporary writeprotection from the 3DSes internal memory.

Think of it as someone who sets the bios boot password on your computer, which you can remove by clearing the CMOS. This wouldn't help you if someone would flash a non compatible BIOS version though. Then you would have to flash a compatible version. On the 3DS you'd have to reflash your dumps and keep your fingers crossed that one would work (in other words was a good dump and the writing back worked).,

tl;dr: shouldn't brick, but take multiple dumps first before writing back.

edit: wouldn't hurt to do dumps using one of the flashcard launchers as well as using HW. (Just remember: successive dumps which were taken on different boots will not match)

Reactions: Adr990

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
I thought so, thanks! I was unsure because the normal 3DS seems to brick easier than the XL in terms of NAND dumping/restoring.

I have had a bit of a worrying situation since the last time I took a NAND dump. (a year ago or so)
http://gbatemp.net/threads/nand-flash-dump-3ds-xl.350668/page-9#post-4747246

Now that the battery has drained in that time, I charged it today non stop until fully charged.
And out of the blue (pun) it worked again. :)

I have no idea what caused either the brick or the fix, but it works again.
I can also dump the 3DS now without bricking.

No reason to restore the NAND dumps yet, but something to keep in the back of my mind. A little fail safe.

Grixian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi first time poster but long time visitor of gbatemp.

I wanted to know if this would work with a 3ds XL that has the black screen of death. I was using my gateway on Animal Crossing and put it to sleep but it now stuck in a black screen when I turn it on. When I hold the power button it shows the sleep mode screen but it still had access to the update menu via L+R+Up+A . I even updated it thinking it was a firmware issue so that I could downgrade it later and I still have a black screen. I have tried the WI-FI card trick and it did not work. I don't know why but I feel its a nand issue.

Has anyone had this problem and/or found a fix? I have heard that hundshamer is an excellent 3DS XL nand mod for the US but I would like to know if this is fixable or do I need a new unit altogether so I don't waste their time.

(I have my dumped 4.5 nand if its needed for a diagnostic)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Hi first time poster but long time visitor of gbatemp.

I wanted to know if this would work with a 3ds XL that has the black screen of death. I was using my gateway on Animal Crossing and put it to sleep but it now stuck in a black screen when I turn it on. When I hold the power button it shows the sleep mode screen but it still had access to the update menu via L+R+Up+A . I even updated it thinking it was a firmware issue so that I could downgrade it later and I still have a black screen. I have tried the WI-FI card trick and it did not work. I don't know why but I feel its a nand issue.

Has anyone had this problem and/or found a fix? I have heard that hundshamer is an excellent 3DS XL nand mod for the US but I would like to know if this is fixable or do I need a new unit altogether so I don't waste their time.

(I have my dumped 4.5 nand if its needed for a diagnostic)
pretty sure it will work, i *believe* this issue is down to some sort of firmware corruption, reverting to a backup before this happened should fix it.....i have actually wondered about this as it happened to one of my emunand setups and restoring a emunand backup worked fine...there was no SD card faults so i assume its just a software related error and not a hardware error....i would say it would definalty be worth a shot and feel it would virtually definaltly work out for you

if you want, im sure you could send the backup to hundshamer with the console and he can restore the console before he starts doing the work with the usb port.....if it doesnt work he *might* be able to charge less as it would be less work for him than adding all the usb port etc(this is actually the longest part of the process, so if you just throw the adpter in and flash the old nand dump to test before you do the rest you save your self a lot of time if it wasnt going to work anyway).......i know i wouldnt mind offering it at a discount for someone if they wanted me to try this out, but im uk based so wouldnt really be an option

.....hope you dont mind me making this suggestion hundshamer but i would say it will more than likely work anyway :P

Reactions: Grixian

Grixian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pretty sure it will work, i *believe* this issue is down to some sort of firmware corruption, reverting to a backup before this happened should fix it.....i have actually wondered about this as it happened to one of my emunand setups and restoring a emunand backup worked fine...there was no SD card faults so i assume its just a software related error and not a hardware error....i would say it would definalty be worth a shot and feel it would virtually definaltly work out for you

if you want, im sure you could send the backup to hundshamer with the console and he can restore the console before he starts doing the work with the usb port.....if it doesnt work he *might* be able to charge less as it would be less work for him than adding all the usb port etc(this is actually the longest part of the process, so if you just throw the adpter in and flash the old nand dump to test before you do the rest you save your self a lot of time if it wasnt going to work anyway).......i know i wouldnt mind offering it at a discount for someone if they wanted me to try this out, but im uk based so wouldnt really be an option

.....hope you dont mind me making this suggestion hundshamer but i would say it will more than likely work anyway :P

Thanks I'll PM hundshamer right away, however for future reference do you actually need an Arduino or Raspberry Pi to rewrite your nand from backups? I have seen YouTube videos where people just hooked the 3DS XL to their computer and uses Win32 Diskimager to write the nand. I just want confirmation in case this happens again I could fix it myself.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure we can work something out. PM sent.

EDIT: you only need windiskimager if you have the USB mod. The Raspberry Pi or Arduino are only needed for bsod because of brick code.

Reactions: gamesquest1

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Thanks I'll PM hundshamer right away, however for future reference do you actually need an Arduino or Raspberry Pi to rewrite your nand from backups? I have seen YouTube videos where people just hooked the 3DS XL to their computer and uses Win32 Diskimager to write the nand. I just want confirmation in case this happens again I could fix it myself.
nope, they are only needed if you get the console bricked via the brick code, which results in the blue screen of death.....for this job, just win32diskimager would be needed

Slashmolder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to unbrick a 3ds using force erase then reflash it.
When I try to do a force erase I get status 0x02000900 before it tries to send the force erase.
After sending the force erase it gets back status 0x03000900 which is still locked.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I'm trying to unbrick a 3ds using force erase then reflash it.
When I try to do a force erase I get status 0x02000900 before it tries to send the force erase.
After sending the force erase it gets back status 0x03000900 which is still locked.
you don't actually need to do a force erase no more, just do the unlock command and it should be unbricked

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reminds me of that one Spanish guy who was in here a week or so ago, that wouldn't translate their messages.
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    ok sry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I don't remember him
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ Si means yes, no means maybe
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Arne214, it's fine but dont ask for roms here again
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I only know very little Spanish, haven't done it in 5 years lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, que tan poco?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, ages ago but don't remb most of it. Like they say, if you don't use it, you lose it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, A bit. I only know greetings and some other parts. Its quite an easy language to learn.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    But I don't remember most of it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, easy to learn despite having some relatively complex rules
    +1
  • D @ dadadad:
    Should I just accept that I won't play this game anymore, or is there a way to solve this problem?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For some reason I remember a bunch of swear words tho, lol
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, cuz we swear more than talk normally i guess
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @dadadad I would do like @The Real Jdbye said, they are very wise.
    +2
  • D @ dadadad:
    блядь
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You get your nap today?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With your wife
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Tell that B to bring me home some dinner, when you done with her...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mrs.B is what I call her she said she left you a $10 jack in the box giftcard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh ok, cool thanks, I found it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the...