3DS Unbricking Possible!

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by YoshiInAVoid, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoshiInAVoid
    OP

YoshiInAVoid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Banned
    Jan 10, 2011
    [​IMG]
    Blue Screen of Death caused by Gateway 3DS card, resulting in a brick

krisztian1997 and bkifft have written some code available on Github which can be run on a Raspberry Pi or an Arduino (models without a 3.3v output will need either a voltage divider or an SD card shield) to unbrick a 3DS.

It requires a hardware mod, (opening up the 3DS and soldering some pins to the eMMC) but never the less, it is now possible without having to send in your 3DS to the Gateway team!

You must have a NAND backup (created previously from emuNAND) in order to restore the firmware after the eMMC has been unlocked and erased.

eMMC Pinout (dat3 only needed if using Arduino): http://gbatemp.net/attachments/vrije-opmerking_20140126_123816_01-jpg.6106/
    Code (Arduino): https://github.com/krisztian1997/3dsunbricker
    Code (Raspberry Pi): https://github.com/bkifft/RPU
    Source: http://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-unbricking-progress.361171/

2. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    Awesome news! It's amazing what those guys have done. Let's just hope Gateway doesn't try another method now that this one is fixable.

RemixDeluxe likes this.
  3. krisztian1997

krisztian1997 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 14, 2013
    Romania
    There is only one more method what can f*ck up the console and is permanent, setting the permanent write protection bit.

sirocyl and redkeyboard like this.
  4. misterb98

misterb98 Moral Gateway User. Wat.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    Great news! It also looks like these are the same pins used for dumping your nand (except dat3, which you do not need for that function). Someone should make a commercial product for the 3ds XL that allows for easy dump/restore, unbricking, and extends the battery.

This almost warrants not having to be so afraid of GW 2.0b2... hopefully they won't do more damage in 2.0....

Edit: got double ninja'ed!

Edit2: Now the code just needs to be refined/polished and a compresensive tutorial released for the oncoming noob swarm!

5. krzz

krzz GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2009
    France
    Awesome news. Now I hope that the Gateway 3DS Team will fix this BSOD problem.

6. bkifft

bkifft avowed Cuthwaldian

Jun 10, 2010
    Gambia, The
    just a short word of caution: my code unbricked a 3DS already, but it's still wonky as hell, spews debug output all over the place, reports failure even though it succeeds etc. Not really meant for end user usage right now. Heck, it's so prealpha it's omega.

I just cobbled it together to help one user and as a proof of concept. I'll receive a MMC card around wednesday and will try to clean up the code then and even build a more enduser friendly package.

But: It's released under the GPL, so if you want a go and tinker with it: go ahead. Just heed the warnings.

edit: my solution works with the 4 wire nand dump SD interface.

7. krisztian1997

Dec 14, 2013
    Romania
    You only need the extra DAT3 for arduino (my code ardu code is still untested because I couldnt find a test subject), raspberry pi works with the standard nand dumping wires.

YoshiInAVoid and redkeyboard like this.
  8. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    This is great news. Congratulations to the developers, great work, guys :bow:

9. YoshiInAVoid
    OP

Banned
    Jan 10, 2011
    Updated first post. It seems that an Arduino is much harder to use than a Raspberry Pi since it requires an extra solder point, as well as a way to regulate the voltage to be 3.3v.

10. krisztian1997

Dec 14, 2013
    Romania
    Yes, because arduino is only a small microcontroller, so working with SD card is a bit harder using SPI, while raspberry pi is an entire computer on a board.

11. YoshiInAVoid
    OP

Banned
    Jan 10, 2011
    I know, I own both an Arduino Uno and a Raspberry Pi :)

12. Luigi2012SM64DS

Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Banned
    Aug 27, 2011
    Canada
    Minecrapt
    Keep hoping.
    btw good job!

13. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Great job, figured this would happen.

Too bad this isn't user friendly at all though. Suppose this enables a couple people to set up de-bricking services for those non-Gateway users, but other than that...

14. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    NAND Flashing isn't user-friendly at all as a general rule - it's something done by people with the know-how. If we had a correctly sized NAND clip, things would look differently. ;)

15. YoshiInAVoid
    OP

Banned
    Jan 10, 2011
    Might be able to offer an unbricking service in the UK; I'm setting up my Raspberry Pi now. If the tools seem to be working OK on an SD card, I'll try and brick my 3DS and test this for myself.

16. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Make sure you have a nand dump XD

17. YoshiInAVoid
    OP

Banned
    Jan 10, 2011
    Already got one; going to make another just to check it isn't corrupted. Gotta be super careful :)

18. krisztian1997

Dec 14, 2013
    Romania
    If you got an arduino and the sd shield you could test if SPI still work on 3ds...

19. YoshiInAVoid
    OP

Banned
    Jan 10, 2011
    Unfortunately I do not have the SD Shield so I cannot test the Arduino code, sorry.

20. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    I was thinking of offering a uk service, but seems it's already covered :D
    Good luck yoshi, and you ways well make a hardware dump while you have the wires connected........just to make 10000% sure :P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.