Homebrew 3DS Twilight Menu++ Widescreen Seems Stretched

Ozean_Sky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been playing Pokemon SoulSilver on Twilight Menu++. I decided I wanted to try widescreen and noticed it seemed quite stretched.
I've noticed many images online with people running Soulsilver on Twilight with widescreen on and the image seems nice and not stretched. I couldn't find a video tho, that would help.
After researching and looking online for posts regarding how to achieve a widescreen image that doesn't seem stretched I wasnt able to find a straight answer or confirm if there's any way I can improve the image. I guess my question is if there something I might be missing to improve it/check or if what I'm running is the current best image
The images dont quite translate how the stretched image looks but I assure it seems stretched

Attachments

• 20200207_093911.jpg
    20200207_093911.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,110
  • 20200207_093928.jpg
    20200207_093928.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,056
Last edited by Ozean_Sky,

gohan123

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
as far I understands, only games with 3d models can be properly played in widescreen, any 2d content will be stretched, unless there is something new since I tested it the last time.

Reactions: Ozean_Sky

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
2D elements will be stretched and will need a patch to be sort of adjusted, like the SM64DS patch by gamemasterplc. You'll need to search for a widescreen patch for Pokemon soulsilver online, one that is for real hardware and not emulator. 3DS uses 16:10 widescreen so that's what it needs to patch in.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Actually this should help you make your widescreen cheat:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-play-nds-games-in-hd-widescreen-16-9-21-9-32-9.538988/

Just made a code following the guide that you can try:
52022F80 00001555
02022F80 00001999
D2000000 00000000

Last edited by Zense,

Ozean_Sky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Omg. That sounds promising, for the code do I try one of those or do I add all those numbers?
And how do i go about adding them. Sorry this is my first time doing this

Last edited by Ozean_Sky,

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Omg. That sounds promising, for the code do I try one of those or do I add all those numbers?
And how do i go about adding them. Sorry this is my first time doing this
Funny thing is I haven't even tried this myself. I imagine there's a way to add cheats to twilightmenu ++ manually. Not sure how really. Oh, and all of that is the code.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I tried out the cheat myself and even though it isn't as stretched there's so much added shimmering since there are so many 2d elements that I can hardly recommend it. Try walking left and right in the pokecenter and you'll see what I mean. There was a stock 16:9 cheat that came with twilightmenu's cheat database (probably for use with emu) which made everything thinner but there was less shimmering. You could try that if you want. Just delete the usercheat you added and redownload the cheats with twilightupdater from you 3ds.

If you haven't tried yourself yet and want to see, here's the whole cheat database (usrcheat.dat) that twilightmenu uses with the 16:10 widescreen cheat updated.
Put usrcheat.dat in: sd:\_nds\Twilightmenu\extras

Apply the cheat in twilightmenu by highlighting the game, press Y, press X for cheats and you'll find it in the bottom of the miscellaneous cheats folder.

Attachments

• usrcheat.zip
    7.6 MB · Views: 267

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Let's get one thing straight: your eyes aren't deceiving you, the widescreen is BOTH increasing Field Of View, AND stretching the image. There is an acknowledged problem from developer Sonos:

"The 3DS version will have support for both [filters and widescreen], but the filter will only be applied on the Y matrix, so the filter will only be visible vertically, because the widescreen patch HAS TO write an identity matrix in order to enable proper stretching. This could be easily fixed, but not now. I still have to do the automatic pattern generation for unique matrixes to work."

A little while ago, I asked Sonos for an update if this is being fixed yet, and he responded:

"Because of the advancements in rtcom technology, it will be eventually possible to do that from DS side. As for doing it inside TwlBg, more work needs to be done. I managed to find more unused code space, but I need more work to get it working without any crashes while having a working sleep mode."

This is not a 2d vs 3d thing (at least not in all cases.)

EDIT: just to let you know I tested Star Fox Adventures, Big Bang Mini (entirely 2d,) and that Ferrari game, same results all around

Last edited by yuyuyup,

Ozean_Sky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much Zense and yuyuyup.
I went ahead and got the user cheat database and tried the cheat code for widescreen and it does seem it probably was meant for a emu as it looks the same. Although it didn't really do anything, getting the user cheat database was really nice.
As for the whole widescreen thing im not really bothered as i can keep playing in the normal 4:3 or perhaps just let my eyes get used to the widescreen. It's not super stretched but it is noticeable. All in all ill still enjoy the game.

PS
I hope anyone that was wondering the same thing and was were I was, or still am, finds this thread and perhaps you get some questions answered.
I will, not so actively but surely, keep browsing to see if theres any ways to improve widescreen.
If I find anything ill post and update this thread. Same thing, if any one of you mates got anything let us know!

Reactions: yuyuyup and Zense

Fabsian10000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey, i have the same issue, from what ive read this is normal and you also dont have a fix for it if im correct? Its been bothering me quite a lot that theres no way to fix it

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Hey, i have the same issue, from what ive read this is normal and you also dont have a fix for it if im correct? Its been bothering me quite a lot that theres no way to fix it
Yeah, there's no fix. The games are still rendering at 256x192 pixels no matter what you do, those pixels just aren't square in widescreen mode which causes some issues since the games weren't really designed for that.

You can always just turn off widescreen if it bothers you.

Fabsian10000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, there's no fix. The games are still rendering at 256x192 pixels no matter what you do, those pixels just aren't square in widescreen mode which causes some issues since the games weren't really designed for that.

You can always just turn off widescreen if it bothers you.
Aww well... i hope theres gonna be some update eventually that will make it possible to make it render everything in a greater resolution

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1