3DS Touchscreen Dilemma

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by ShadowFyre, Feb 1, 2014.

1. ShadowFyre
    OP

ShadowFyre GBAtemp Fan

Sep 29, 2010
    United States
    San Diego
    Hi. So basically my refurbished 3DS I bought from gamestop has been completely jank in the touchscreen department. The entire right side of the touchscreen isn't usable. I can't make a Nintendo ID to get the Four Swords Adventures freebie on the eshop, as I can't type using the touchscreen keyboard. Any ideas? I really don't want to miss out on the promotion :<

edit:I'm really just stuck at the ".com" part. I cant get my "o" or "l" keys to register.

2. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    At this point, I'd give Nintendo a call (Tell them that you are trying to get the Four Swords game during the promotion and you can't) and see what they can do. Otherwise, you'd probably just be best to bring it back, say the screen is malfunctioning (Show them, as well as your proof of purchase), and see if you can get it swapped for a working system if you're not up for repair.

3. Öhr

Öhr GBAtemp Regular

Nov 22, 2006
    Gambia, The
  4. ShadowFyre
    OP

ShadowFyre GBAtemp Fan

Sep 29, 2010
    United States
    San Diego
    I contacted Nintendo and they said that since I called for help during the promotion, they can tie my Four Swords download on to the serial code of my 3DS for when I get it fixed

Thought I'd follow up on this. Nintendo sent my a download code for Four Swords Adventures which I can use when I get my 3DS fixed up. Didn't know they'd go this far to make sure my problem was solved. Thanks Ninty <3

WELL there's no point in starting a new thread, so does anyone want to give me tips on how to go about repairing this beast? I have no history in repairing this type of thing, and I'd love links to replacement parts/guides. My touchscreen isn't cracked or anything, but it basically doesn't register the entire right side of the screen. Screen itself looks fine.

Foxi4 and Sicklyboy like this.
  5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    In that case, the screen is fine and what you need is a new digitizer - it's a touch-sensitive film that's put over the actual LCD and detects touch points. The part looks like this:

[​IMG]

It's easily available online, be it via eBay or via DealExtreme and other such distributors, see here.

The replacement procedure is very simple - follow a 3DS disassembly video guide until you have access to the lower screen, carefuly open the latch on the old ribbon, remove the old digitizer, place the new digitizer in, close the latch and re-assemble the system.

Of course prior to all this trouble I'd attempt calibrating the old one or trying to re-align the ribbon - perhaps the old one just isn't calibrated right or the ribbon isn't aligned in the slot properly.

SmileCitrus likes this.
  6. SmileCitrus

SmileCitrus GBAtemp Regular

Mar 29, 2009
    United States
    Replacing the touch screen is definitely not that hard, but there are a few places where you can easily screw up when doing it for the first time. iFixit has a great guide with lots of pictures.

One thing to be careful of when replacing the digitizer is that the replacement digitizers generally don't come with the black adhesive strip that you use to stick it on to the metal frame surrounding the lower LCD. You've got to pry the old digitizer off from the LCD gently and reuse the original black adhesive strip or find some other thin, double sided tape to use. I learned the hard way not to try to use super glue :wacko:

You've also got to be really careful when prying off the squarish, colored bezel in front of the old digitizer. It's very easy to crack it by mistake, particularly the corners. It's a real pain if you crack it since nobody I know of sells the part individually.

The worst feeling in the world though is when you finally reassemble the console only to notice that there's a speck of dust underneath the digitizer. So be sure to try connecting just the screens and speakers and then turning the console on before fully reassembling to make sure it all looks good.

Foxi4 likes this.
  7. ShadowFyre
    OP

ShadowFyre GBAtemp Fan

Sep 29, 2010
    United States
    San Diego
    What tools will I need for this? Getting the digitizer doesn't seem difficult, but I know Nintendo has had a history of using trywing screwdrivers and such. Will I need anything for that? What will I need to pry off the bezel?

8. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    nothing about taking apart a 3ds is easy , have you ever even watched any videos on it? people who have done case mods a ds say they would never attempt it, it looks like a hure pain in the ass to me and risky,much more so than a ds or dsi

9. SmileCitrus

Mar 29, 2009
    United States
    You just need a small Phillips screwdriver. I think 00 is the correct size. I use the one in this set. There are no tri-wing screws in the 3DS. To pry off the bezel I use a spudger like this one, but any flat tool with a dull edge would work. A butter knife makes for pretty good substitute.

10. Öhr

Öhr GBAtemp Regular

Nov 22, 2006
    Gambia, The
    i did. didnt think it was that impossible... if I had to, I would do it myself, but my touchscreen is still in pristine conditions :D

11. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    no certainly not impossible just a huge pain in the ass and a little more risky than normal
    and what is that 3rd ribbon cable for again? 1 for touch screen digitizer, and 1 for the lcd, but still not clear on what the 3rd cable is for

12. Öhr

Öhr GBAtemp Regular

Nov 22, 2006
    Gambia, The
    i was too lazy to look at the pics, but its probably for stereo sound?

13. SmileCitrus

Mar 29, 2009
    United States
    One is for the touch screen, the wide one is for the LCD, and the small one that goes into the P12 connector is for the lower screen backlight.

weatMod likes this.
  14. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    As Foxi suggested, did you first try calibrating the touch screen in Settings?