Hardware 3DS specs

mehrab2603

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
why is everyone comparing 3ds to psp?psp and 3ds are different gen consoles.tbh, i am a bit disappointed to see the 3ds BARELY beating the psp.it pains me to think that the psp2 will really put 3ds to shame.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean barely
dry.gif

The psp 2,is probably just going to be a 3DS copy with more power or something.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
mehrab2603 said:
why is everyone comparing 3ds to psp?psp and 3ds are different gen consoles.tbh, i am a bit disappointed to see the 3ds BARELY beating the psp.it pains me to think that the psp2 will really put 3ds to shame.
That's because Sony just copies Nintendo's ideas, and puts them in a more graphical context (as in, Ninty games have better gameplay/story/whatever, Sony games have good graphics). Also, the 3DS wasn't made to 'fight' the PSP, because the PSP is just a fail handheld. Nintendo p0wns the handheld gaming market, everyday, everywhere in the world.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although I refrain from making rude gestures and such, when I saw this console, I figuratively orgasmed right then and there. When I saw the graphics, I orgasmed again. When I realized how amazing this really was, I figuratively passed out.

I WANT THIS SOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD!!!

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one who thinks having 800x240 pixel resolution is a little weird? Unless I'm not understanding this 400 pixels allocated to each eye thing..

gamefreak94

GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mehrab2603 said:
Yeah and that is why Sony decided not to do the psp2 right and decided for a new psp 4000.
They are just going to release after they make the graphics better than the 3DS, and what do mean barely?
The 3ds almost has the same graphics as the wii which the psp doesn't even have.Wii graphics are already perfect for this generation of hand held gaming.Even if the psp2 was to beat the 3ds with graphics it wouldn't matter b/c the graphics wouldn't be outdated, + the 3D will be awesome
yay.gif
. Anyways, Nintendo could make it better before its released.

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Defiance said:
Am I the only one who thinks having 800x240 pixel resolution is a little weird? Unless I'm not understanding this 400 pixels allocated to each eye thing..

From the Eurogamer website...

Sharp unveils new handheld 3D screen
April 6th, 2010

Hot on the heels of Nintendo's announcement of a glasses-free 3D implementation for its new 3DS, Sharp has revealed technical details on the screen technology that many believe features in the new handheld.

As discussed previously, the screen itself uses a technique known as parallax barrier, where an array of vertical slits on the LCD work to divert different areas of resolution to each of your eyes, producing a stereoscopic 3D effect that doesn't require glasses. As the viewing angles are limited, the screen has been designed for smartphones, cameras and other handheld devices, making a potential implementation within the 3DS something of a no-brainer.

The resolution of the screen itself is pegged at 854x480 in 2D mode, which halves when running in stereo 3D: Nintendo, and hopefully developers, would have the option to use either mode depending on what works best for the game concept. Sharp says that the 3D effect works in both portrait and landscape modes. Touchscreen functionality has also been confirmed for the screen, although Sharp will be making conventional touch-free renditions of the LCD too.

Size-wise, Sharp's new screen has been confirmed at 3.4 inches, and despite the inclusion of the 3D tech offers much the same thickness as a traditional LCD. So both size and form factor are right for inclusion within the 3DS. Also impressive is that Sharp claims to have achieved a standard-setting 1000:1 contrast ratio for the new screen.

"The 3D LCD developed by Sharp at this time significantly improves image quality by achieving both high brightness and low crosstalk thanks to advances in CG-Silicon technology and optimisation of the parallax barrier," offers Sharp's press release.

"Advances in CG-Silicon technology have shrunk the wiring width within the LCD panel, allowing more light to pass and doubling the brightness (to 500 cd/m2, the industry’s highest) compared to the conventional model. In addition, optimising the parallax barrier design has increased the efficiency of light, thereby dramatically reducing crosstalk. Also, the thickness of the LCD module is about the same as conventional 2D displays even though it is a touchscreen display. As 3D images can be displayed in both portrait and landscape screen orientations, it is ideal for sophisticated mobile devices such as smartphones."

Reporting from the launch event, Akihabaranews.com describes the effect as "mind-blowing", but reckons that there can be some ghosting (the crosstalk Sharp describes) if you don't adjust the viewing angle to an optimal position.

"Regarding the Ghost effect, actually Sharp worked hard on this matter, however we have to admit this is not perfect… You will have to be on the sweet spot to get the perfect image," explains its reporter, 'Daimao', "However, notice that even if you’re not on the 'sweet point', frankly we are not sure if their competitors with their current LCD screens are capable of reaching this quality."

Whether this is the actual screen that will end up in the Nintendo 3DS remains an unknown. However, usually reliable sources in the Far Eastern press including the Asahi Shimbun newspaper believe that the deal is done and Sharp 3D LCD technology will be a key component in the new 3DS.

halljames

Trophies
Website
www.hallstudios.co.uk
XP
Country
It strikes we that the 3DS doesnt really look that much better than PSP. Remember, the PSP is 5 years old now, and if they are just say matching the graphics capabilities of what the PSP can already achieve, I can only imagine what the PSP2 might be like. A little disappointed that there was no hint of a PSP2 at Sonys E3 though, meaning the 3DS, if it gets to market first will corner the market before PSP2.

halljames

Trophies
Website
www.hallstudios.co.uk
XP
Country
phoenixclaws said:
The space alone to collect the games for it.. o_o....

Not that there will be any point in collecting the games, seeing as we still can't "collect" DSi games and play them, I am doubtful that the 3DS games are gonna be hackable and playable, not for a while anyway.

Does this mean that its gonna be a DS mode, a DSi mode, and a 3DS mode that needs to be cracked for us to get our flash carts.

Fabis94

Xbawx playa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bleh, the analog stick location bothers me. It should've been under the ABXY buttons so we finally could play FPS's without the touch screen.
Like whats the point of it now, if it can do exactly the same as the D-pad?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
mehrab2603 said:

The PSP 'put the DS to shame' in terms of Sony just going for raw graphical ability. What was the result? The PSP ended up with nothing but scaled down versions of home console games. Which looked very pretty for a handheld game, but offered nothing new. With unique features like the touch screen, dual screens etc, plus the constraints of the system meaning publishers couldn't just lazily strip down PS2/Xbox games, the DS offered games and experiences that simply were not available anywhere else. It also played to the strengths of the handheld as a device, rather than seeing the small size as a constraint to power, taking into account things like battery life, the need for sleep modes etc.

Nintendo and 3rd parties are now experimenting with ways to utilise and combine the touch screen, the dual screen, the 3d effects, the 3d cameras, the sleep-mode wifi hunting, the gyroscope, the tilt sensor to make games which make it worth buying the system for, games you'll want to play even if you're at home and you've got a HDTV and home console next to you. What is Sony likely to be looking at doing with the PSP2? Making games which are nearly as good as they are on the PS3, but you can play them on the bus (even if they're not games which lend themselves well to the stop-start nature of handheld gaming). Is that really going to be a system seller?

halljames

Trophies
Website
www.hallstudios.co.uk
XP
Country
It would be nice if Nintendy would do a proper store. I mean, how naff is it that you download DSiWare, but then cannot transfer it to a different or new device. And the DSiware shop is so slow and unusable, I dont want to have to scroll througth slow loading pages listing two items per page, until I find something interesting.

nicman000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Another thing to note is that people are comparing the launch games of the 3DS to the games released 4-5 years into the PSPs life. If you compare the launch games of the 3DS to the launch games of the PSP you can easily see a massive difference.

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
it said GB, which is GigaBYTES
Gb is GigaBITS.
Therefore, it is 2 GigaBYTES, or 16 GigaBITS

4 Times larger than the current biggest DS game
smile.gif

32 Times larger than the DS's launch games.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Infinite Zero said:
BlueStar said:
When people are talking about the 3DS having "2GB games" are they talking in gigabits or gigabytes?
what do you think?
mellow.gif

I have absolutely no idea, people don't seem to know the difference. Games cartridges (which as far as I'm aware is still what the 3DS will be using) are always talked of in terms of Gb, not GB.

QUOTE(HaniKazmi @ Jun 16 2010, 11:29 AM)
it said GB, which is GigaBYTES

But what said? I can see replies saying "2GB games at launch" but I can't actually see anything in the links in the OP mentioning that or any source for it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.