3DS SD card backup

Deleted member 598242

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I backed up my entire SD card which is about 50 GB, but I don't want to keep the games within the backup. How do I delete the games and only keep system related things? And is it safe?
I also have a NAND Backup - if I restore it, will all of the games be there as well? I would prefer to delete them because I've uninstalled some of them since I made the Backups.

Reactions: Hydr0Reaper666

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Afterwards its a bit complicated.
You might remove the encrypted game files in the specific folder by title ID. Here is a description of the filesystem:
https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/SD_Filesystem
You get the title ID of your game by using fbi or godemode9.

The Nand is the firmware partition of the 3DS. The games or homebrew will be there, but only with the needed files stored on the sdcard. On the Nand, only the game title keys stored in the database will be available without the sdcard.

Deleted member 598242

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Afterwards its a bit complicated.
You might remove the encrypted game files in the specific folder by title ID. Here is a description of the filesystem:
https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/SD_Filesystem
You get the title ID of your game by using fbi or godemode9.

The Nand is the firmware partition of the 3DS. The games or homebrew will be there, but only with the needed files stored on the sdcard. On the Nand, only the game title keys stored in the database will be available without the sdcard.
Thanks.
Yes, it's very complicated. Is it safe to delete them from the backup? I'm not going to load the backup on my system

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I backed up my entire SD card which is about 50 GB, but I don't want to keep the games within the backup. How do I delete the games and only keep system related things? And is it safe?
I also have a NAND Backup - if I restore it, will all of the games be there as well? I would prefer to delete them because I've uninstalled some of them since I made the Backups.

You can remove the game files store on the SD but you have to figure out what to delete if you don't delete them on the 3DS.

Deleted member 598242

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
You can remove the specific game files and add them anytime, or reinstalling the game on normal way. Without any Problem.
You can remove the game files store on the SD but you have to figure out what to delete if you don't delete them on the 3DS.
Oh, ok. I only don't understand which exact files to delete when there are multiple and in different locations.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, ok. I only don't understand which exact files to delete when there are multiple and in different locations.

That is the problem here, it is easier if you use the 3DS to delete what you don't need, you are better off just keeping a NAND backup if you mess up your NAND so you can recover since you don't want to keep your data around as backup.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The game files are stored in SDcard/Nintendo 3DS/<long ID0>/<long ID1>/titles/

For example Dragon Quest XI:
Hover in FBI over the gamename, DLC or update to get the Title-ID
Game Title ID: 0004000000199200
Update Title ID: 0004000E00199200
DLC Title ID: 0004008C00199200
The Title ID consists of two parts. the right part is the unique ID of the game

Then go onto your SDCard into the folder Nintendo 3DS/<long ID0>/<long ID1>/titles/ .
You will see three folders where the game files, dlc and updates are stored seperatly.
00040000 -> game files
0004000e -> update files
0004008c -> DLC files

Then you need to search the desired folder with the unique ID (right part of the title ID) of the game. Delete it, done.

EDIT:
If you delete the Nintendo 3DS Folder, all installed and additional content is gone like e.g. homebrew, games, extradata, saves.
The other easy way would had been, deleteting the content with the 3DS. But after you did your backup, the content would need to be reinstalled.
So its up, howto handle the situation best.

Last edited by Sypherone,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LNLenost @ LNLenost: hey