Hardware 3DS room for improvement

Fluto

A potato in disguise
Trophies
XP
Country
A separate pedometer/Streetpass device (and link it to the 3ds)
so i dont have to be worried that someone might steal my 3ds and more pocket space.

phantastic91

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1) better cameras
2)bigger screens- the top one feel smalls and i keep thinking "what if this stretched more across the top screen..." street fighter looked tiny on the 3ds.
3)fix the stylus placement
4) let us put videos on sd and play them.
5) better 3d angle
6) better battery

phantastic91

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
"Any better cameras will make the price higher. "

isn't the 3ds around 100 bucks to make? There are other factors too but alot of companies sell hardware at a lost and make it up through their games. but the 3ds price difference is alot. they could have put much better cameras in and still make a profit on each console sold. and aren't cameras cheap?

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Touch screen sensitivity needs to be improved, sometimes it doesn't register when I tap falling blocks in Lego Star Wars for some reason and I hit them bang on in the middle of the screen.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
DSGamer64 said:
Touch screen sensitivity needs to be improved, sometimes it doesn't register when I tap
I've read: when I fap
wink.gif

benno300

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Slyakin said:
gumbyx84 said:
Does the bottom screen really scuff up the top screen? First I've heard about it.
Unfortunately it does. I get little lines when I close my 3DS for periods of times. I have to clean them off each time, and I'm afraid that the screen can get scratched.

Maybe we have to use screen protectors I didn't used them ever but now it seems the only option.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mezut360 said:
A separate pedometer/Streetpass device (and link it to the 3ds)
so i dont have to be worried that someone might steal my 3ds and more pocket space.
How would they keep the link?

Plus it called portable for a reason.

That not even a improvement to the 3DS itself.

phantastic91 said:
"Any better cameras will make the price higher. "

isn't the 3ds around 100 bucks to make? There are other factors too but alot of companies sell hardware at a lost and make it up through their games. but the 3ds price difference is alot. they could have put much better cameras in and still make a profit on each console sold. and aren't cameras cheap?
IDK How much production,component, or replace/fix will cost them for 3 better cameras.

That price is approximated.

Plus you do not know how much behind the scenes ~$150 goes to.

benno300 said:
Slyakin said:
QUOTE(gumbyx84 @ Apr 8 2011, 01:08 PM)
Does the bottom screen really scuff up the top screen? First I've heard about it.
Unfortunately it does. I get little lines when I close my 3DS for periods of times. I have to clean them off each time, and I'm afraid that the screen can get scratched.

Maybe we have to use screen protectors I didn't used them ever but now it seems the only option.
Someone told me whether in a pocket or not that to much pressure on the 3DS may have cause scratches not just the design alone, but put a screen protector on to be on the safe side.

anime999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
- Better Battery
- Louder Speakers
- Better Mic (Is it just me or is it way too quiet, it makes stuff spin like crazy but doesn't record my voice very well even when I have my mouth right up to it)
- Better Camera
- More internet related apps (I just find it really shut off, mostly because there isn't a browser yet, but I really want to see a lot more web apps a la iPhone, to be honest I prefer the 3DS by far to my ipod touch and if my 3DS could replace certain features like mini-games (estore) and email/skype I would be really happy. I really want the 3DS to feel a lot more open, without having to wait for homebrew if possible)
- The touch screen scratching the top screen issue gone =.=
- Better Multitasking (with DS apps for example, or being able to open minor apps while having games loaded)

That's all I can think of now
tongue.gif

Rankio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-Better stylus location
-Different resize filter used in NDS mode. (too soft right now)
-3D video player
-Closing an application with one button click, instead of going back to the home screen then closing again.

leeday100196

GBAtemp's Official Infernape™
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rankio said:
-Better stylus location
-Different resize filter used in NDS mode. (too soft right now)
-3D video player
-Closing an application with one button click, instead of going back to the home screen then closing again.
Actually I agree with you there. Apart from the 3D Video Player, which has been only DEMONSTRATED with a short video from the system update, I like your ideas (They're already working on the 3D video player, thus the demo). the Stylus location is fine to me, since I'm left-handed, and the resize filter COULD be edited so you could change to DSi/DSL resolution as well... It's just an idea though, and it might work if some brainiac puts effort into it.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think the only problems that i have with the 3DS thus far are

1. Stylus Location...it was so much better sliding the stylus out from the side

This next one may not be a big deal for others, but for me it is
2. Location of the power button...I'm used to playing the DSi and the location of the start button on the DSi is where the Power button is on the 3DS. I've gotten so used to just pressing start without looking for the button. When playing a game on the 3DS if you press the power button it brings up the menu to shut off or go into sleep mode, but it completely shuts off the current software being played.

3. Select/Home/Start need something easier to press.

leeday100196

GBAtemp's Official Infernape™
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
syko5150 said:
I think the only problems that i have with the 3DS thus far are

1. Stylus Location...it was so much better sliding the stylus out from the side

This next one may not be a big deal for others, but for me it is
2. Location of the power button...I'm used to playing the DSi and the location of the start button on the DSi is where the Power button is on the 3DS. I've gotten so used to just pressing start without looking for the button. When playing a game on the 3DS if you press the power button it brings up the menu to shut off or go into sleep mode, but it completely shuts off the current software being played.

3. Select/Home/Start need something easier to press.
1. someone would disagree there, but a lot do agree.

2. You get used to where it is pretty quickly

3. Maybe the updated console will have pop-out buttons like the DSi did.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
The only problem I had with the 3DS is its battery life for long flights. During the election period I visited Sydney with my uncle and I had to say the 3DS didn't last throughout the whole flight, unlike my DSi XL. I didn't even play for the whole journey straight! So for long flights it's kinda disappointing. However for normal usage I find the battery life adequate. Other than that no other significant problems. I don't mind the stylus position too
laugh.gif

BloodShed

Gamer
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seriously wish Nintendo would have dropped the stupid dual-screen design. Instead, just make one large 3D touch screen! "DS mode" could simply provide a vertical split-screen view for backward compatibility. It would work just like the iPhone version of Phoenix Wright.

Seriously, the design just doesn't seem to work well. Whenever I'm playing DS games I can only focus on one screen at a time. Sadly, most developers seem desperate to fill the second screen with anything they can; overhead maps are the popular choice but I've seen it used for just the game title. Few games ever use it effectively. Games like Hotel Dusk that use the DS sideways seem like an improvement, but I still find it awkward. Best of all, if they used a single screen, they could dump the problematic hinge!

Anyway...

I also agree that the stylus is stored in possibly the worst place they could put it. I found that it's troublesome to even locate by touch. I usually have to feel around with my fingernail to find the lip.

Select/Home/Start are definitely more difficult to use than they should be; especially if you have larger hands.

The buttons and D-pad are still too small and, unfortunately, the 3DS is simply not comfortable to hold. Playing a game like Street Fighter is especially cumbersome because you have to use care with the controls.

Most of all, they need to fix the issue with the lack of games. I've barely used my 3DS to play actual 3DS titles; just DS games.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BloodShed said:
I seriously wish Nintendo would have dropped the stupid dual-screen design. Instead, just make one large 3D touch screen! "DS mode" could simply provide a vertical split-screen view for backward compatibility. It would work just like the iPhone version of Phoenix Wright.

Seriously, the design just doesn't seem to work well. Whenever I'm playing DS games I can only focus on one screen at a time. Sadly, most developers seem desperate to fill the second screen with anything they can; overhead maps are the popular choice but I've seen it used for just the game title. Few games ever use it effectively. Games like Hotel Dusk that use the DS sideways seem like an improvement, but I still find it awkward. Best of all, if they used a single screen, they could dump the problematic hinge!

Anyway...
I'm sure most feel and do the opposite of this. Not only do you have to play it vertical which may mess up some games.

Me personally never had problematic hinge. I find it easy to focus on both screens. Developers have use the both screens at one time for a interesting view. It leaves the "main screen" less of a mess,easy access to stuff and your hand out of view way for some. I like the dual-screen design, I'm sure most do.

QUOTE(BloodShed @ May 12 2011, 11:12 AM) I also agree that the stylus is stored in possibly the worst place they could put it. I found that it's troublesome to even locate by touch. I usually have to feel around with my fingernail to find the lip.

Select/Home/Start are definitely more difficult to use than they should be; especially if you have larger hands.

The buttons and D-pad are still too small and, unfortunately, the 3DS is simply not comfortable to hold. Playing a game like Street Fighter is especially cumbersome because you have to use care with the controls.

Most of all, they need to fix the issue with the lack of games. I've barely used my 3DS to play actual 3DS titles; just DS games.

Yes, stylus was kinda a issue 'till I got used to it. I didn't understand the Select/Home/Start button complain 3-4 people I read said this. Click them, there buttons
meant to last. They're not buttons you play with.

Maybe the D-pad, but the buttons? It comfortable to me and unless you mashing on it like a mad man I didn't understand this either. It can be play a little rough,
it nowhere near that fragile.

There at least some good games out and the rest are coming.

I know this is really all personal experience,but still...

Pazuzu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bluetooth headphone support. That's the main reason I keep going back to my PSP Go - I don't have to fiddle with attaching my headphone wire.

Also, it would have been lovely if the 3DS supported summer time. Especially considering it was released in Europe two days before the hour changed and all.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BloodShed said:

Anyway...

I also agree that the stylus is stored in possibly the worst place they could put it. I found that it's troublesome to even locate by touch. I usually have to feel around with my fingernail to find the lip.

I don't think 999/1000ths of the people who own 3DS's would rather have it be a tablet, which is basically what you described.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
BloodShed said:

Anyway...

NO!!!! I DON'T WANT MY 3DS TO BECOME AN iPAD!!!!!
cry.gif

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
I don't think 999/1000ths of the people who own 3DS's would rather have it be a tablet, which is basically what you described.
Sure they do, that why Sony was so nice to make this.
sony_tablet_s2.jpg
laugh.gif
/sarcasm

I hope Nintendo try to keep their handheld dual-screen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyxeZ7JYwZs&pp=ygUJVnIgaXMgZ2F5 +1