Status
Not open for further replies.

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the theory is good, but the "completely unaffected" is not
if sy could afford the game[like ppl in wealthy countries] instead of buying, would pirate the game, then it's actually a loss
because if you can't buy it, then you do no harm, even more: you can actually support a little bit by advertising the game, giving good reviews, joining the community etc, while if you can afford the game, but don't buy it because piracy is an option, then you do harm
the supplies aren't infinite actually, in a weird way
basically, it's limited to the number of people
depending on how many ppl have watched a certain movie, played a certain game or owned it
if you could only be able to watch a movie by yourself and by buying the movie, the sales of the copies would drastically increase, so for that part, you would do harm by watching the same movie with other people who do not own that movie
we could say: they pirated the movie in "our language"

kinda hard to explain with sucky english....

if nobody is buying the game for example, but lots of people are playing it, then you got the product, but those who made the product sell it for money to compensate the costs of developement and the time they had spent on it

but piracy is rare in wealthy countries
the more corrupt or poor place you live in, the more you get affected by piracy
piracy has done little harm to the overall gaming/media etc industries

Ferociouscorpion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really care if you pirate games or not.

But to come up with bs excuse such as you can't afford games, dl to demo it, or I wouldn't have bought it anyways just really irritates me.

Those don't justify your actions and maybe you don't feel it effects the industry b/c it is not a physical item but it does. You know its wrong don't try to justify it.

Slynk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy is neither inherently wrong nor right. It was debated many times at my university. Maybe you do view it as wrong. I sure hope you are viewing it as wrong for a reason other than "it's illegal." Fact is, I've been programming for 8 years now. About 5 of those years was serious work on game development (it was all for game development from the beginning but I'm knocking off a few years for newbness.) I've researched, and posted about different models for selling a game. Things like the Humble Indie Pack, and Minecraft are making tons of money despite piracy.

View it this way. If no one could pirate games, how much profit would have been gained last year? How many people would, instead of saving up for food, or a kid, or some nice things here and there (clothes, a better couch, a new gaming console) would have spent $60 for every game they wanted to pirate? It's unrealistic to think that the industry is THAT effected by piracy. Fact is, even without piracy, there's the problem of bootlegs and used games. There's the problem of rentals. There's the problem of people borrowing a friends copy of a game. Shoot, even the Nintendo CEO stated something along the lines of "The best way to stave off piracy is to make a game that people are willing to buy."

You can't just go around stating that piracy is wrong without looking at it from all angles.

Antoids

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a college student who can barely afford tuition, let alone video games.

But even though I pirate, I have a *positive* effect on the industry. I got about seven people to buy Radiant Historia when I played it and wouldn't shut up about it. Seven people who'd only ever heard about it from me, because it was so scarce at Gamestop.

I generate sales with my piracy.

Ravenius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Antoids said:
I'm a college student who can barely afford tuition, let alone video games.

But even though I pirate, I have a *positive* effect on the industry. I got about seven people to buy Radiant Historia when I played it and wouldn't shut up about it. Seven people who'd only ever heard about it from me, because it was so scarce at Gamestop.

I generate sales with my piracy.

However, this would only be true if you'd only have pirated that one game, and always bought other games you're playing. And I doubt this is the case.

Everyone should face it: pirating has a negative effect in the industry. Not buying mediocre games and only supporting good ones has a positive effect.
Sure, I have pirated many games I otherwise might have bought, and so has oh so many people in this forum. That's just how it is, don't try to justify it.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
3DS games to me are far more worth buying compared to DS games. Plus when the eShop is here (based on vids) you can download and play game demos of your fav 3DS games which you have yet to purchase.

Anyways, we won't be expecting a 3DS rom that soon. It is using a new encryption code. I would expect to see one maybe in a year or more.

BTW, 3DS rom does not mean there will soon be a 3DS flashcart. :/

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ferociouscorpion said:
I don't really care if you pirate games or not.

But to come up with bs excuse such as you can't afford games, dl to demo it, or I wouldn't have bought it anyways just really irritates me.

Those don't justify your actions and maybe you don't feel it effects the industry b/c it is not a physical item but it does. You know its wrong don't try to justify it.

sometimes it's a crappy excuse, sometimes it's not
i give my 9 for that and unless i couldn't pirate ds games, i wouldn't have bought the system
on the other hand, some ppl who are actually putting this up as a stupid excuse to make themselves feel better, irritates me too

what irritates me as well, is some PC game developers
who release a game for xbox360/ps3 and then ports the game to pc and come with the "pffft, sales suck because you can pirate games on pc"
which is obviously not true, piracy is the strongest on PC, but what actually hurts the sales are the lame ports from console experience[but what is done right, sells well: dragon age/bioshock/mass effect/super meat boy etc]

trickybitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not gonna lie, I pirate games, then based on how I like it, will decide whether it is worth my money.

Case in point, Pokemon White, downloaded it, realized it was awesome, bought it a week later.
Same with Portal 2.Games that didn't go to well in my eyes were ones like Crysis 2. Downloaded it, played 10 mins, did not like at all. Deleted. I don't see myself as some big criminal because of this.

I view Piracy in a way that if you pirate a game and have no plans to buy it, you are doing the industry harm. No matter how money hungry the big companies are, people still put work into these games and don't deserve to have their work 'stolen'.
On the other hand, if you download the game just to try it, especially when such game doesn't have a demo, you are doing nothing wrong, and are actually helping the industry by saying what games you like which will lead to more similar games (hopefully) being made.

Slynk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not an excuse, it's facts. Say on average you have the money to buy 5 games a year. Lets say on average there are 10 Games you want to play a year. What do you do? Well you could ONLY play games you buy, yes. But the problem with that is there becomes a backlog of games you want to play that you don't have the money for. It carries over to next year. Then you have 15 games that year you want to play, but only, again, have money for 5. And chances are, you're going to buy the new games that year anyway. So 5 game companies will never see your money a year. Now let me ask you this, what effect would it have on the industry if you pirated those 5 games? None. Whether you play them or not changes nothing.

Better yet, you "piracy is wrong" guys. Answer me this: What is the difference between you pirating a game and you borrowing your friend's copy?
wink.gif

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Slynk said:
Better yet, you "piracy is wrong" guys. Answer me this: What is the difference between you pirating a game and you borrowing your friend's copy?
wink.gif

"borrowing your friend's copy" requires at least one purchased copy --> profit for developers
"piracy" does not require one single purchased copy --> no profit for developers.

Got it?

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
There isn't a way to play the games when you somehow have a ROM. I don't think the 3DS should be cracked this fast, it will discourage gamedevelopers to create new game.

dicamarques

Definitely not Bruce Wayne.
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
WiiBricker said:
Slynk said:
wink.gif

"borrowing your friend's copy" requires at least one purchased copy --> profit for developers
"piracy" does not require one single purchased copy --> no profit for developers.

Got it?

No piracy some times means 1 game profit (the hacker bought the game)(unless he works in a games store)

Slynk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
Slynk said:
wink.gif

Got it?

That's just wrong. To rip a disc you need a disc. Unless it's a stolen copy, which most of the time it's not, it was purchased. So your point is moot. Crackers have "suppliers", people who buy and ship the games to them. And regardless, we're not talking about the up-loader, we're talking about the user. Me borrowing my friends copy of a game doesn't support a developer. The purchase has already been made. So from this perspective there is no difference.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Slynk said:
WiiBricker said:
Slynk said:
wink.gif

Got it?

That's just wrong. To rip a disc you need a disc. Unless it's a stolen copy, which most of the time it's not, it was purchased. So your point is moot. Crackers have "suppliers", people who buy and ship the games to them. And regardless, we're not talking about the up-loader, we're talking about the user. Me borrowing my friends copy of a game doesn't support a developer. The purchase has already been made. So from this perspective there is no difference.

I was not talking about criminal suppliers here.

walk12288

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Ravenius

Why do Xbox 360 and PS3 games cost $60 on release when the EXACT SAME PC game usually costs $45-$50? By using your argument that piracy hurts sales and development companies, then you could justify the higher price tag by saying that you are compensating for the massive amount of piracy. But, as already stated, developers claim that PC games are pirated more than console games. Funny isn't it?

It's called free market. If you produce a crappy game, and it isn't worth $60, it doesn't sell. I'm sure you've seen those games, few weeks after release they are being sold in stores for $40 instead of $60. Strange isn't it, how quick they can come off $20 on the price of the game? Even at $40, the profit off games is still high enough to easily offset and profit from development costs. Just like the music industry, good games will sell; crappy ones will get left behind.

Take a look at Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for a second. It was a million seller, even without AP protection (honestly, it was a disc tray check...). The game sold so well that they are making a 5th one in the series. If piracy was killing the industry, after the 3rd game, they would have put in stronger AP protection. Bethesda knew their product and knew it would sell even without the protection in place.

But I suppose you would like me to 'justify' piracy. Try this, you purchase a game and all DLC for it on the xbox 360. You are ONLY 'licensed' to use that software on the xbox 360. You just bought a $3,000 computer and want to try the game out on that? Maybe you want to see what all the hype about mods is about? Well, you can't. That would be breaking the licensing on the software. Not a big deal, though, cough up another $40 for the game and $30-$40 for the DLC, and you can enjoy it on the computer too. I believe that both sides, the developers and the pirates, are dicking each other.

By the way, before you decide to flame, I did purchase the game and DLC for BOTH systems...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
"borrowing your friend's copy" requires at least one purchased copy --> profit for developersNot unless your friend stole it.

QUOTE(WiiBricker @ May 10 2011, 12:19 PM) "piracy" does not require one single purchased copy --> no profit for developers.
Piracy often comes about because of purchased copies. Yes some games get leaked early, but more often than not that's the fault of a store not abiding by the street date, not any theft.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey walk stop saying developers vs pirates,thats not how it works, the way you make it sound its as if the developers are deciding the price of games
its the company that the devs work for that do that, and piracy does not not affect the developers,they are already being exploited ,they are paid crap money no matter what
they wouldnt get paid any more money if piracy went away tomorrow,and they dont decide the price of a game ,they have no say in anything,they are exploited like anyone else,sane as a music artist that signs with a major labe, they get like 3% of whatever they make for the record company,if their lucky, what percent do you think the people who actually program the games that make these companies hundreds of millions ,get,how much of that money do the people who actually created the content see?its not even a fraction of a percent,piracy is too trivial to make any difference in anything, it doesnt even begin to affect a corporations profits but if it did ,believe me the ceo and other exces wouldnt be taking a pay cut ,and the devs would be making the same thing either way,

Oceanborn712

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Slynk said:
It's not an excuse, it's facts. Say on average you have the money to buy 5 games a year. Lets say on average there are 10 Games you want to play a year. What do you do?
Buy the games used, sell them when you're done with them and use the money on the next games... easy huh? The only games that cost me money is games that are the age 18+ ones because eBay.de won't allow people to sell those, everything else costs me only the 8% eBay fee (that's like 1.50-2.50 Euros) and sometimes even earns me money when I'm selling something that got rare.
Just stop making up all those excuses to pirate, they'll never work. Just admit you're pirating because of convenience, because you're cheap and lazy or whatever. But don't blame money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o