3DS Revision still possible?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Hyro-Sama, Aug 3, 2012.

?

Do you think Nintendo will still release a revision with a second circle pad even though the 3DS XL

1. Of course.

20 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Maybe.

31 vote(s)
    36.0%
  3. Not a chance.

35 vote(s)
    40.7%
  1. Hyro-Sama
    OP

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    I think there is still a possibility of it happening but the chances significantly dropped when Nintendo announced the 3DS XL.

1 person likes this.

2. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I think there will be another one or 2. Kinda in the same vien as the DS and the Dsl. We have the 3DS and the 3DS XL. So my guess is there will be a new 3DS in about 2 years. Like with some new kinda gimmicky thing like the DSi had. more ram, a bigger home type menu... etc.

So in 2 or three years, when 3D makes a jump again, i think we will see a new 3DS but still be a 3DS like the DSi was still a "DS" at heart.

AND it better GD have 2 circle pads.

3. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    Maybe. Maybe not.

4. BrunoAlvesMontei

BrunoAlvesMontei GBAtemp Regular

Nov 3, 2011
    Brazil
    Nintendo has informed that no further revisions will be needed, but as you know, companies changes its mind all the time...All for profit.

5. LockeCole_101629

LockeCole_101629 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 6, 2012
    New Zealand
    XL version isn't revision
    probably you need to know different between Revision & Variant.

Revision is made when products have a failure that could make that product defective or make a better design/built/cost down value form, and products being revised isn't longer produced. (ex: DSLite over DS Phat, NDSi over DSLite)
    Variant on the other hand, is another form of product while original product is still continue to be sold or made. (in this case ex: 3ds & XL, also NDSi & XL)

2 people like this.
  6. Eerpow

Eerpow *swoosh*

Sep 14, 2009
    ERROR!
    For those of you waiting for an actual revision of the 3DS.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Copypasted from another thread but it covers some of the reasons why we won't be seeing dual analog sliders etc.

1 person likes this.
  7. chris888222

chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Oct 11, 2010
    Senegal
    I will put Maybe, since we have absolutely no idea if Nintendo were to pull of a 3DSi with quad core processors and 256MB ram.

8. Janthran

Janthran Solarian

Sep 17, 2011
    United States
    The Pacific Northwet
    Of course it's still possible, but why do you need to go re-buy the system just for a second circle pad?

9. AceWarhead

AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

Apr 9, 2011
    United States
    Probably another revision to improve on the 3D

10. EyeZ

EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

Dec 4, 2009
    I don't wanna commit myself here, so i'll say possibly

11. xwatchmanx

xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

Feb 13, 2012
    United States
    Pittsboro, NC
    Part of me thinks it'll happen since Nintendo likes to make so many revisions (as the original DS proved). But the other part of me remembers just how impossibly and needlessly stubborn Nintendo is about certain things.

12. McHaggis

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    You can't really be so definitive. There could be market shifts or other reasons why Nintendo might eventually change their mind (and they're fully entitled to it). For instance, if the number of games supporting the CPP grew to 80%, they may reconsider adding it when components or battery life could be improved due to technological advancements. Publishers would be unlikely to force current owners to buy a CPP, and Nintendo would likely make it a licensing requirement that dual analogue must be optional.

Although I doubt that a revised 3DS with increased resolution is likely, it's entirely do-able. Scaling graphics would require a boost in CPU/GPU, though, which would increase cost and require a lot of testing. Also, 3D graphics would be improved, but 2D graphics would be blurry, making it an unlikely change. Those, along with cost, are more likely to be the reason the 3DS XL doesn't have increased resolution.

Also, the 3DS XL does contain some revised features, for example the buttons below the touch screen are different and less annoying; the stylus, headphone jack and WiFi LED have been moved to (arguably) better positions. So, whilst not exactly a revision, it's not 'exactly the same, just bigger' either.

1 person likes this.
  13. Eerpow

Eerpow *swoosh*

Sep 14, 2009
    ERROR!
    Make that highly unlikely instead then.
    Yes, it isn't exactly the same but other than some different design choices it has all the same features which is what I was trying to say.
    Both models have their ups and downs.

The reason why I wrote that the way I did was because someone was waiting for a revision with those features. Of course I can't be 100% certain, I just wanted to avoid giving false hopes to the guy.

1 person likes this.
  14. McHaggis

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    Yeah, I'd recommend not waiting either. In fact, I'm tempted to trade my 3DS in for an XL.

15. chris888222

chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Oct 11, 2010
    Senegal
    I already gave in.

It's a $180 SGD top up, but I'm very sure it's worth it.

Boy I miss the XL days.

16. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    GBA > GBA SP > GBA SP Lite > GBMicro
    DS > DSLite > DSi > DSiXL
    3DS > 3DSXL

I think Nintendo has a few models up their sleeves.

3 people like this.
  17. Dingoo-fan 32

Dingoo-fan 32 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 24, 2011
    Brazil
    I think it's possible. Nintendo wouldn't lose a chance to make more money

18. nukeboy95

nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    not sure
    it was never named gba sp lite

1 person likes this.
  19. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Yes, it was. Officially, too.

20. xwatchmanx

xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

Feb 13, 2012
    United States
    Pittsboro, NC
    Source? I can't find anything that says that. All I saw of the AGS-101 model is that the box advertised "now with a BRIGHTER backlit screen!"