Hacking 3DS region changing

Frank1905

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello,
I was wondering to change my 3DS region (and obviously the "country" setting) from EUR to USA, just to have the possibility to redeem Pokémon codes that come from USA. I read a very simple (at least I think it is) guide on the 3ds hack site that explains how to perform a region changing, but I still have some questions before starting.
1) Is it possible to reverse it? Because I don't want to keep my system as a USA one. I only need to swap to redeem codes. If yes, how?
2) Does the method I want to apply work also if I have an EUR Pokémon cartridge?
The thing would be: System: USA + Country: USA + Game cartridge: EUR.
3)I'm on the latest fw (11.8.0_41E). On the guide it is written about installing a 11.5.0 fw of the chosen region. Is it considered as downgrading? (Probably yes). But I still can't understand if the guide means going, for example, from a 11.5.0 EUR to a 11.5.0 USA or it can be done coming from any fw (11.8.0 in my case).

Sorry for the long question and thanks for the help :)

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5X utilizzando Tapatalk

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
1) just make a NAND backup before you region change, to go back you'll simply need to restore it
2) idk but probably yes
3) yes you can ctrtransfer regardless of the current firmware version

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also it looks like you need to change region in the 3ds settings too after region changing

Last edited by lAkdaOpeKA,

Frank1905

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
1) just make a NAND backup before you region change, to go back you'll simply need to restore it
2) idk but probably yes
3) yes you can ctrtransfer regardless of the current firmware version

Also it looks like you need to change region in the 3ds settings too after region changing
It seems so easy. I will try. Thank you! ;)

Frank1905

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I read that changing region using luma3ds brings to obtaining illegal Pokémons, failing to redeem the code or getting banned.

I think that's referring to using Luma's region emualting feature, which is a different thing. I found this post with a lot of info in it, I think you'll find it useful

This is overkill, just to claim codes of a different region. Just use Luma3DS' Locale Emulation to force the game to think it's loading on a different region.
Wiki: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Optional-features
The post I found seems to suggest that doesn't work

Frank1905

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that's referring to using Luma's region emualting feature, which is a different thing. I found this post with a lot of info in it, I think you'll find it useful

The post I found seems to suggest that doesn't work
I've found posts that show it works. However, even if you get it working, the pokemon would be "illegal", even if it is legitimate.

Another thread that asked a similar question: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-claim-pokemon-serial-codes-from-other-regions.455860/

I guess the best way for the Pokemon to come out legal and legitimate, would be to create a new save while under the locale emulation.

Last edited by Temptress Cerise,

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Frank1905

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've found posts that show it works. However, even if you get it working, the pokemon would be "illegal", even if it is legitimate.

Another thread that asked a similar question: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-claim-pokemon-serial-codes-from-other-regions.455860/
Sure, I shouldn't be able to obtain it because I live in Europe and it has been obtainable only using wifi. This is the most legit method I think.

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it just depends on the console region
That's what locale emulation does... it pretends to be a different region....

If OP changes their region, but keeps their current save file, they would still be doing the exact same thing. Which would make any redeemed Pokemon on that save file illegal, as the save file will still have the original console's region embedded in it.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to just redeem pokemon , just use the wonder card or have someone trade you those event pokemon, too much hassle to region change just for some event pokemon.

Frank1905

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's what locale emulation does... it pretends to be a different region....

If OP changes their region, but keeps their current save file, they would still be doing the exact same thing. Which would make any redeemed Pokemon on that save file illegal, as the save file will still have the original console's region embedded in it.
That was the second question I made. Or something similar. I should backup my current savefile, change region, create a new savefile for the new region, redeem the code, transfer the Pokémon to the Pokébank and the restore everything and take the pkmn from the bank. Right?

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was the second question I made. Or something similar. I should backup my current savefile, change region, create a new savefile for the new region, redeem the code, transfer the Pokémon to the Pokébank and the restore everything and take the pkmn from the bank. Right?

Oh, I didn't really read it as that. Just thought you meant you were going to use your EUR cartridge on the new region without resetting//backing up your save. But yeah, that should work. You could confirm the locale emulation worked, by exporting your new save, and importing it into PKHeX and checking the Trainer Info has the correct 3DS Console region and Country.

Frank1905

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Oh, I didn't really read it as that. Just thought you meant you were going to use your EUR cartridge on the new region without resetting//backing up your save. But yeah, that should work. You could confirm the locale emulation worked, by exporting your new save, and importing it into PKHeX and checking the Trainer Info has the correct 3DS Console region and Country.
Yes, my fault sorry :)
There's still a problem. If I change my region my EUR nnid gets disconnetted and can't be used. So is the Pokébank usable?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s