• Replies 53,797
  • Likes 43

Jornax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Everything has finally arrived here - GW, Cubic Ninja, and my micro SD card. I haven't done anything GW-related with my N3DS yet, so I'd like to replace my pre-installed internal micro SD card of 4gigs with the one I bought of 64 GB (I already formatted this one to FAT32 using EaseUS) before I get to installing CIA's etc. What's the best way of setting up my N3DS with GW while inserting a bigger internal mSD? I had this in mind:

1) Transfer Launcher.dat to both the already internal micro SD (of 4GB) using wireless SD card management AND the currently empty FAT32 64GB card.
2) Launch GW exploit using CN with the 4GB card inside N3DS
3) Do a sysNAND backup, nand.bin will be created on 4gb card
4) shut down N3DS, remove 4GB mSD and move nand.bin to backup locations
5) format N3DS sysNAND without any mSD inside (for unlinking emuNAND and sysNAND)
6) shut down N3DS again, this time put in the 64GB mSD that only has Launcher.dat file
7) new and bigger internal mSD will get configured, launch GW again
8) format emuNAND
9) update emuNAND
10) get to playing .3ds/.3dz roms and/or installing .cia's

Is this the correct order of doing things if I want to insert a bigger internal mSD from the get-go? I'm particularly doubtful about the position of the "format emuNAND" step, I'm not really sure when to do this. Also, is it needed to backup the emuNAND? If so, do I do this before or after updating it?

Ssseth

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Everything has finally arrived here - GW, Cubic Ninja, and my micro SD card. I haven't done anything GW-related with my N3DS yet, so I'd like to replace my pre-installed internal micro SD card of 4gigs with the one I bought of 64 GB (I already formatted this one to FAT32 using EaseUS) before I get to installing CIA's etc. What's the best way of setting up my N3DS with GW while inserting a bigger internal mSD? I had this in mind:

1) Transfer Launcher.dat to both the already internal micro SD (of 4GB) using wireless SD card management AND the currently empty FAT32 64GB card.
5) format N3DS sysNAND without any mSD inside (for unlinking emuNAND and sysNAND)
6) shut down N3DS again, this time put in the 64GB mSD that only has Launcher.dat file
8) format emuNAND
9) update emuNAND

Is this the correct order of doing things if I want to insert a bigger internal mSD from the get-go? I'm particularly doubtful about the position of the "format emuNAND" step, I'm not really sure when to do this. Also, is it needed to backup the emuNAND? If so, do I do this before or after updating it?
I will be doing this process as well when my gateway arrives. I also have CN and a 64 GB micro sd. So I'm very interested in your progress!

I was planning on using this step by step guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/i-need-a-step-by-step-for-gateway-for-n3ds.384745/

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada

8) format emuNAND
9) update emuNAND

You must format AFTER you create emuNAND, not before.

also, to speed things up, put the 64gb in from the very beginning. You don't need the 4GB one ever.

add launcher
make nand backup
format emuNAND
go to sysNAND
format sysNAND without the mSD
insert mSD
go to emuNAND
[you cant update emuNAND regularly anymore. You need to install the update files either via an untrimmed rom with the 9.4 update{codename steam} or install the update files with Big Blue Menu/Big red Menu/Dev Menu]
Play games.

Note: it is very important to play games. I usually forget that step :P

Reactions: Jornax

Jornax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

also, to speed things up, put the 64gb in from the very beginning. You don't need the 4GB one ever.

add launcher
make nand backup
format emuNAND
go to sysNAND
insert mSD
go to emuNAND
[you cant update emuNAND regularly anymore. You need to install the update files either via an untrimmed rom with the 9.4 update{codename steam} or install the update files with Big Blue Menu/Big red Menu/Dev Menu]
Play games.

It's not possible anymore to update emuNAND in GW in the "other settings" tab/page? Other than that, thanks a bunch for the help :yay:

Reactions: 2Hack

Lenan

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
So if I'm using .cia I don't need to worry about headers and shouldn't get banned then? Your second comment about just being able to use 1 private header doesn't apply to me because I'm strictly going to use .cia files. Correct?

Yes, mostly. We don't know if we can get banned for using .cia. It never happened before. So using a private header (for .3ds/.3dz) or using .cia is assumed safe.

Lenan

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland

add launcher
make nand backup
format emuNAND
go to sysNAND
insert mSD
go to emuNAND
Play games.

you should add "move nand backup to pc" before "format emunand" :P

Jornax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yea,since emuNAND support for 9.6 was not released yet.

Oh alright, that's understandable. I was assuming the internal GW update option only updates the emuNAND to the latest version that it is currently supporting, but I guess it retrieves the latest version available to install on sysNAND? I'll just get a 9.4 ROM to update emuNAND from then. :)

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I add to all this it is a very good idea to back up emunand after you create it and also after/if you update it as well as periodically especially if you use cia files. Myouncan use the emunand tool found int the emunand tool release and support thread or image it as is found in a sticky at the top of this sub.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gow to I get rid of the update nag in EmuNAND?
The only ways are to format emunand which blows up a thing you have installed, load a backup, or create a new one. I created a thread a week or two ago on the subject and no one had any other ideas. there is a method for sysnad by putting in a service mode but it dosnt work with emunand.

Nettto

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
i have a sd running the palantine cfw.

If i only change the boot.bin file , placing the PBT boot.bin, i can already install a Legal CIA on my sysnand ?

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the blue gateway card play DS ROMS? Does it have to be under gateway mode to play DS ROMS?
It can play DS under sysnand not GW mode. It was blocked in an update but can be enabled with "flashcardtimewarp". There is a thread here on it. Search enable blue cart. It shouldn't be to card to find.

i have a sd running the palantine cfw.

If i only change the boot.bin file , placing the PBT boot.bin, i can already install a Legal CIA on my sysnand ?
CFW is an advanced topic, you probably aren't goi g to find the answer here. I don't run Palanitine, I have enough issues with the gateway exploits booting to deal with that nonsense.

tekwarfare

Trophies
XP
Country
It can play DS under sysnand not GW mode. It was blocked in an update but can be enabled with "flashcardtimewarp". There is a thread here on it. Search enable blue cart. It shouldn't be to card to find.

...shouldn't be to card to find? I hope that was an intentional pun.

Thanks.

Jornax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I read that you can remove the Gateway card while playing .cia's. Before I start trying that, I'd like to know what happens when you press the HOME button when playing an installed .cia, if you launched that game in emuNAND but have removed the Gateway Card by now. Does this just put you back in sysNAND? Or can something worse happen? It seems like an obvious question, but I'd better make sure before I try anything :P

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read that you can remove the Gateway card while playing .cia's. Before I start trying that, I'd like to know what happens when you press the HOME button when playing an installed .cia, if you launched that game in emuNAND but have removed the Gateway Card by now. Does this just put you back in sysNAND? Or can something worse happen? It seems like an obvious question, but I'd better make sure before I try anything :P
Lol. GW is now just a drm dongle and adapter for mSD cards. I have 3 n3ds and only 2 GW, trust me you can pull the GW when playing a cia. Home button works as normal, no harm in pressing it. Relax.

Reactions: Ssseth

Ssseth

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Good question!

While I don't know the answer, I heard someone comment they place their icons in very different spots and sizes in sysnand vs emunand so it's very obvious to them if they end up in sysnand by mistake.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good question!

While I don't know the answer, I heard someone comment they place their icons in very different spots and sizes in sysnand vs emunand so it's very obvious to them if they end up in sysnand by mistake.
Use themes to differentiate. Also on all my systems I creat 3 folders in a row and name them S. Y S. And E M U. Of course we have a several aliterate members that can't seem to read here and this wouldn't help them.

Reactions: Ssseth

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I thought it was duck season, not... king kong season....