Hardware 3DS mic behaviour and headset

RodrigoDavy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have one of those samsung headphones that also have a mic to use on cell phones during calls. But I notice that if I use this headphone on my 3DS, the 3DS's built in microphone won't work. Instead, the 3DS's listen to my headohone's mic as it was my cell phone. I would like to share this information, since it may be useful as you can use any headset that uses a 3.5mm jack.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I think it's because headphones with built-in mics are designed to trigger compatible devices to read those mics instead (that's why there's extra bands around the plug). The 3DS built-in mic should work fine if you use regular headphones without mics built in.

Reactions: 1 person

RodrigoDavy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
An actual headset mic. Its actually still on gamestops site. Cant link to it cuz im on a tablet but yea.

It's on amazon too, it doesn't work on the 3DS because it uses DS's proprietary connectors for the microphone.

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Nintendo-DS-Headset/dp/B000MXSP2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344396635&sr=8-1&keywords=nintendo+ds+headset

I wonder if it would work using a normal headset on the 3DS for playing a DS game. It's a shame I cant test on my ak2i since it's blocked ):

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have the 3DS headset that was linked above (Actually, I wrote that review and forgot about it).

My best advice for a 3DS headset is just to use headphones and use the built-in microphone. The 3DS isn't made to use headsets so the sound is extra loud when the microphone is by your face. Also, it's probably the cheapest, easiest, and most comfortable way to talk when playing online.

Edit:

Also, I own the DS headset. It's completely terrible, and will not work on a 3DS. You can see on the Amazon picture the input. That thing is very uncomfortable, only has mono sound and it falls off your ear.

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o