3DS Makes Nintendo World Users Dizzy, Fatigued

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I think Nintendo have jumped too soon on the 3D hype. Sure, 3D is nice, but something like glassless has never been implemented on a widespread environment before. And well, if it makes users fatigued and dizzy, I'm going to say I believe it for now. Simply because if you go to a movie theater you will be pretty eye fatigued in about an hour. Judging from the screen proximity to your eyes and the special screen, this time frame is hugely reduced.

I, for one, will not be picking up the initial model. It was a big mistake to do that with the DS, seeing as it was fugly and the DS Lite totally destroyed it. And same applies to the 3DS: it /IS/ ugly (to me, at least). I don't get how Nintendo don't learn with their mistakes/corrections and instead of starting fresh, they are practically grabbing the DS Phat case, making it glossier and changing (obviously!) the hardware. What happened to being "even smaller"? I'm looking at even bulkier here. But the market tendency is for all things to get larger, right?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HBK said:
It was a big mistake to do that with the DS, seeing as it was fugly and the DS Lite totally destroyed it.

DS Lites are built like garbage. They may be brighter and lighter but they're so easily broken. Most people have something break with it within 2 years. Hinges, bumpers, buttons, whatever. I've had my DS Phat for a good 4 years at least and that thing has been through hell and back, and still it works pretty well. Only problem is one of the connectors to the hinge broke off. Still works like a charm though.

But I'll agree with you on the buying a 3DS at a later time/model. Seeing as the 3D is rather new in terms of retail products, odds are a later 3DS model will work out any kinks with it or, at the very least, jack down the price of the original model.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Considering that Nintendo has been working on 3D tech for quite some time, it was only a matter of time before they would need to see how it works with the masses, so now is as good a time as any. Some people may not take it well, but just like any other device with a special feature, it's not for everyone. Doesn't mean it should have been held back. Did gaming/tv stop the Japanese (and other people) as a whole who were getting seizures from bright flashing colors?

HBK

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Guild McCommunist said:
HBK said:
It was a big mistake to do that with the DS, seeing as it was fugly and the DS Lite totally destroyed it.

DS Lites are built like garbage. They may be brighter and lighter but they're so easily broken. Most people have something break with it within 2 years. Hinges, bumpers, buttons, whatever. I've had my DS Phat for a good 4 years at least and that thing has been through hell and back, and still it works pretty well. Only problem is one of the connectors to the hinge broke off. Still works like a charm though.

But I'll agree with you on the buying a 3DS at a later time/model. Seeing as the 3D is rather new in terms of retail products, odds are a later 3DS model will work out any kinks with it or, at the very least, jack down the price of the original model.

Tell me about it. My sister is on her second DS (now a regular DSi), because her old DS Lite was from a batch that had the hinge problem, so after a couple of years the hinge broke. I did make use of the pieces and fixed a friend's white DS Lite that had that same problem about a year after (swapped the casing). Strangely, my black DS Lite has a silicone case and it never broke its hinge or anything (or maybe it's just me...). Whichever way, the first batch of Lites def. had more problems. But overall I'd take the DS Lite over the Phat, even if the latter is built like a tank.

They don't make good quality products like the GBA or GBC, or heck, any gameboy for that matter. I remember I had friends that had GBC with Pokémon Silver at the time and they were constantly "brutalizing" the console, and yet it still lasted on for years. My GBA still works flawlessly. Original transparent see-through model, loved it. Only snag was the backlight, but I had one of those accessory thingies that shone two bright lights on the screen. Oh, good times.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just think it's because it's new, but there are some people who just can't take 3D. I had plenty of headaches when I first got my DS, but it's not a problem anymore, It takes time for the eyes to adjust, i guess?
tongue.gif

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
That's the reason why there's an option to turn it off. If you don't like it, turn it off. I know that if I ever buy one (which is not very likely), I'll turn it off since my eyesight is already bad enough. I noticed a sudden worsening in my eyesight when I watched both Avatar and Tron in 3D. 3D puts more strain on your eyes. Pair that with the technology that Nintendo uses rather than the glasses, and it will probably cause some problems. It's probably a good time to correct it.

Also, to all people calling the people who got headaches weaklings, you're making yourselves look really ignorant and stupid.

HBK

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
KingdomBlade said:
That's the reason why there's an option to turn it off. If you don't like it, turn it off. I know that if I ever buy one (which is not very likely), I'll turn it off since my eyesight is already bad enough. I noticed a sudden worsening in my eyesight when I watched both Avatar and Tron in 3D. 3D puts more strain on your eyes. Pair that with the technology that Nintendo uses rather than the glasses, and it will probably cause some problems. It's probably a good time to correct it.

Also, to all people calling the people who got headaches weaklings, you're making yourselves look really ignorant and stupid.

That defeats the purpose. I might as well have my DS Lite for that.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
HBK said:
I don't think your DS Lite has the dual 400 MHz processors, 64 MB RAM, a 400x240 screen, a tilt sensor and an analog stick.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

HBK

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Veho said:
HBK said:
I don't think your DS Lite has the dual 400 MHz processors, 64 MB RAM, a 400x240 screen, a tilt sensor and an analog stick.

No, but an iPhone/iPod touch has a 1Ghz A4 processor, 512 (256) MB RAM, a 640x960 326 ppi screen, and accelerometer. Oh, and a gyroscope. Specifically talking hardware only.

And plus if you turn the 3D off we're back to what I said before: I might as well have my DS Lite or my iDevice. 3D isn't really an advantage if you disable it.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
You could also turn the volume to 0, or the brightness to 0, or switch the WiFi off when not in use.

The iPhone/iPod Touch devices have a full OS in the background, reducing actual usage of the CPU and RAM used by applications. Same can't be said with the 3DS, even though it has it's Home menu ability when the game is paused.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HBK said:
KingdomBlade said:

I do not think it there to turn if you do not like, it there for safety and to be fair to buyer eyes reasons.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Never been dizzy or anything like that from anything 3D, anyone who can't handle the 3D effect can just turn it off, Nintendo have put a switch so you can toggle between 2D and 3D. As for me though, I will have it on 3D most of the time, unless I'm tired or something.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
boktor666 said:
Ah, It's not a like the system is instant perfectness of something. Mabey the side effects are some kind of Production error. But turning off after 10 minutes is like.. Not pissing in the toilet, because you are scared of the alligators in the sewer.
You're thinking of SEGA.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
gifi4 said:
Never been dizzy or anything like that from anything 3D, anyone who can't handle the 3D effect can just turn it off, Nintendo have put a switch so you can toggle between 2D and 3D. As for me though, I will have it on 3D most of the time, unless I'm tired or something.
And have a terrible looking Nintendo 2DS?! No thank you!

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As far as I know the dizziness is because you never hold a handheld completely still and the 3DS 3D spot is extremely small, the 3D spot is constantly moving around. If the 3DS is standing somewhere the problems should be way less.

Sressiv

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ive watched 4 movies in 3D in theaters, never had any headache or eye tired.
but, if I don't have it with movies, is it with the 3DS then, too? if so, that would be nice.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
DV_881 said:
Ive watched 4 movies in 3D in theaters, never had any headache or eye tired.
but, if I don't have it with movies, is it with the 3DS then, too? if so, that would be nice.
Probably not, and it's just some people. I only take my 3D glasses off for a bit because glasses irritate my nose.

And why do you have Nathan_Drake's avatar?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'( +1