3DS is getting warmer with latest update?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Dead End, May 9, 2012.

May 9, 2012
  1. Dead End
    OP

Member Dead End GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Recently I've noticed that my 3DS has been getting warmer since the last update, 4.0.0-7, And the battery life seems weaker even in standby mode.
    It gets annoying cause I'm not getting all of my daily street pass hits like I usually do. Has anyone else had this problem? Do you think Nintendo will fix this soon?

2. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
    lol its because the seasons chanigng maybe so air not as cold

people need to be on the same firmware revision as you for certain spot pass stuff too

3. freaksloan

Member freaksloan GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I am on the newest firmware, and I have not noticed any of these problems.

4. Dead End
    OP

United States
    I was thinking about the weather, but it hasn't been too terribly warm in the past two days. And I didn't have this problem in the Summer. And I kinda figured that, although most people I've met, has either the latest firmware, or has that usual items.

5. blaziken

Newcomer blaziken Advanced Member

Germany
    seems fine to me

6. Coto

Member Coto GBAtemp Addict

Chile
    LoL my 3DS battery life is a joke. The latest update, 3 hours on wifi brightness level 3/4. But what makes me feel better, is the system overall stability which seems more responsive on 4.0 than olders

7. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    My 3DS battery is holding up surprisingly well and I'm an ambassador, I think the reason why it doesn't get drained as fast as others is because, I usually don't charge while playing and I've never completely drained the battery, I always shut it off as soon as I notice the red light blinking.
    Also when first I got the system I gave it a full charge before turning it on for the first time.

I get about 5 hours with brightness set to 3, powersave on, 3D on and Wi-Fi on. I get about 7 hours with the brightness set to 1, powersave off, 3D on and Wi-Fi on, which is more than what I need when playing at home.
    I bought a retractable USB charger just in case the battery life wouldn't be enough like when playing in a very lit area.

Unrelated rant: I can't believe that there are people who thinks that slider positions other than the off position affects the battery life.

There is no difference in battery life between medium and max 3D, the only thing the 3DS has to do is to change the positions of the two in game cameras. In other words alter the two images for each eye, the 3DS still has to produce two images no matter what position the slider has, except of course for the off position where only one image is projected thus lowering the power consumption.

Oh sorry, by the way...
    I think you either need to sent it to Nintendo or just get a battery replacement and replace the battery.

8. jrk190

Member jrk190 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've noticed that my DS games consume more power. I fully charged my DS, played Tales of the Abyss in 3D, with full brightness, and closed it. The battery was half-drained after school. I did the same with Animal Crossing, But when I opened the 3DS, the Battery was almost dead, with a blinking Red light. I think that might prove the Emulation theory... But I doubt it.

9. Kikirini

Member Kikirini Zelda Fangirl

United States
    I don't think the firmware affected the battery...
    Hell, my 3DS has died many times while sitting in my bag and the battery still lasts as long as it used to.
    It's probably the warmer weather that is affecting the heat of your 3DS, though.

10. Dead End
    OP

United States
    Well I just sent in my 3DS to get Repair since the L+R Buttons stopped working, I got it back a couple weeks ago.. And I do Play DS games on it.. But not since the past two days (When off the charger) And it still dies before I get home, No playing at all..

11. Pippin666

Member Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Canada
    With every update, there are people with psychological problem and who thinks that their 3DS ir warmer or that the battery life changed :P

Pip'

5 people like this.
  12. Zeroneo

Member Zeroneo GBAtemp Fan

Portugal
    You're forgetting DS games looking better with each update.

3 people like this.
  13. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Is that with the actual games, or are you using a flashcard?

14. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    If it's getting charged a lot, battery is losing it's charge. Could be warmer weather is making your hands clammy and warm, thus not being the 3DS at all.

15. googs

Member googs GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    its not the update.. with every single portable device (whether it be a laptop, psp 3ds etc.) if youstart charging it before the life is drained out or it is just about to pass out, your battery length gets shorter.. ive been experiencing this too but only because i play while my 3ds is charging.

16. jefffisher

Member jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    all of those defices use Li-Ion batteries which means the exact opposite of what you just said is true.

17. jrk190

United States
    It was with an actual game, Animal Crossing: Wild World. I have like, 6 copies of that game! XD

18. Alanturing

Newcomer Alanturing Member

United States
    lithium chemistry based batteries like to be charged little and often that is its more damaging to run battery down than to charge little and often.

doing so will make sure you get the best life out of your battery and extend how long its useful for too, if you can plug it in do so

19. jrk190

United States
    I'm not getting what you're saying... Do you mean, let the battery run until it's almost dead, then re-charge it for better battery life?

20. Dead End
    OP

United States
    It could be the weather, since it's getting warmer and it's sitting in my pocket all day.. But I didn't face this problem last summer, Which is making me wonder.. And when I get home, my battery is totally dead, so I'm not charging it prematurely..