3DS Homebrew, a new era in development

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Another World
    OP

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???

If you haven't been following the 3DS scene over the past few weeks you may have missed out on the release of the 1st 3DS-mode homebrew. Yes, that is correct, a new era of homebrew and development is upon us. The method for executing homebrew code requires a ROP (Return Oriented Programming) exploit. Once the exploit is installed, from any 3DS compatible DS-Mode flash kit, a homebrew compiled Launcher.dat can be executed via familiar methods. The exploit requires 3DS firmware 4.1-4.5.

The ROPLoader by Fierce Waffle does not require encryption and it frees us from the malicious tyranny of the Gateway team. A recent build script by Kane49 allows coders to compile C code. While things are moving slowly, they are progressing in a positive direction.

GBAtemp user aliak11 has started a thread related to 3DS homebrew. If you wish to directly discuss homebrew, coding, development, etc, then navigate on over to that thread. Please help to keep it on-topic by posting your rants, concerns, issues, or questions as replies to this news post.

Here is hoping for a glasses free Virtual Boy emulator!

:arrow: 3DS Homebrew Development Thread
    :arrow: Pong 3D Homebrew
    :arrow: Tetris 3DS Homebrew
    :arrow: 3DS Toolkit

morphius, Ammako, matpower and 10 others like this.

2. xcrimsonstormx

xcrimsonstormx He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
    Amazing job this is the best news I've seen in a while!

3. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    Is this still limited to firmware 4.1 - 4.5?

4. EvilMakiPR

EvilMakiPR GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    I guess so. Cuz it use the same exploit that Gateway and the others use.

5. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

I would assume so, the trouble is another exploit would likely need to be found; failing that, CFW or a downgrade method would need to be found. Nevertheless, this is one helluva breakthrough and people no longer have to adhere to the dubious methods of the infamous Gateway :P That's the important bit, people can actually safely (than the GW anyway) load unsigned code.

6. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    You mean r4i and his brothers, right?

7. youed

youed Member

Newcomer
    May 1, 2012
    United States
    So what are the confirmed working firmwares for this? I've got 5.1 on my 3DS :(

8. Another World
    OP

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    I mean any 3DS compatible DS-Mode Flash Kit. Not 3DS-Mode Flash Kits like the gateway, orange, r4i link, mt.

correct. edited the 1st post to reflect that.

-another world

Reploid likes this.
  9. Saturosias

Saturosias Sakura-sō Resident

Dec 27, 2010
    United States
    Hopefully this generation of homebrew sees more than just retro piracy I mean, "emulators for backups".

10. JackSakamoto

JackSakamoto Bad Ending Guy

Sep 13, 2009
    That's really impressive.
    Now QuakeDS should be better,heh.

11. youed

youed Member

Newcomer
    May 1, 2012
    United States
    Damn, guess I'll have to wait for a downgrade or exploit for 5 and up. What's the probability of that?

12. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    " from any 3DS compatible DS-Mode flash kit, a homebrew compiled Launcher.dat can be executed via familiar methods."

could this be a brick risk?

and could someone explain a little more?
    so we would need to have 1 launcher.dat on the sd to use GW or another flashcard ,and then have to remove the SD and write another launcher to the SD to use homebrew?
    would it be possible to have 1 launcher.dat ? or would they need to be compiled together , and if so then compiling a unified launcher with GW could be a problem if using 2.0b2 + fw

im guessing you can only have 1 launcher.dat on the SD root at a time, so then we would have to take out the SD card and write a different launcher ,1 to use homebrew and 1 to use the flashcard fw features

13. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    No! He means it requires a DS flash card compatible on the 3DS, example would be the supercard dstwo.

14. Another World
    OP

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    what is bricking the 3ds is malicious code gateway has added to their exploit. code designed to brick clones that launch their files. only, its backfiring. none of this code is found the the exploit or launcher.dats being released for homebrew. that isn't to say that someone couldn't just do what gateway did. we may need a dslazy update at some point =P

yes, only 1 at a time for now. i've already read that users who run the roploader exploit and then launcher.dat homebrews, who also have the gateway exploit installed, are having issues. it seems the two don't play well together. so it may come down to either you pirate roms or you embrace homebrew.

-another world

weatMod likes this.
  15. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    ok yes i just noticed that ,i get it ,you run the installer.nds from a ds mode card , it says you need "a homebrew compiled launcher on your sd card" , so my question is simply this if you want to use a "red card" 3ds mode card , then i assume that this hombrew compiled launcher.dat on the root of the sd card will not be compatible with GW one and vice versa, so you will need to change the launcher.dat on the sd everytime you want to switch between using homebrew and GW or another 3ds mode flashcard, unless there is a single launcher.dat that is compatible with both homebrew and your 3ds mode card ,or unless both files can be on the sd at the same time

16. ilman

ilman Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser

Jul 25, 2010
    Shibuya
    Now, to wait for some C++ compatibility and 6.3 support.

the_randomizer likes this.
  17. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Cool beans. Looking forward to the first custom firmware release, as well as any emulators that can be run using the 3DS' hardware.

18. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Here's hoping for some awesome game patching.
    More system tools and other awesome stuff.
    Great work everyone!

19. Kouen Hasuki

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    I was interested up until this bit "The exploit requires 3DS firmware 4.1-4.5"

Kinda wish more focus would be on exploiting later 3DS Firmware's

20. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    One step closer to my 3DS purchase :wink: This is great news, for GBAtemp and for the 3DS owners.