3DS Hinge Wobble? Temporary Solution!

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Melee85, Apr 2, 2011.

Apr 2, 2011
  1. Melee85
    OP

Newcomer Melee85 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I don't normally post topics but I thought I'd share this info with you guys seeing as it's become apparent that I'm not the only one to have a 3DS unit with a slight slackness in the hinge on the console.

My sister recently went on Amazon to buy some 3DS accessories (she has a 3DS too), and she also bought a shell-case for my 3DS as well. It's a clear-plastic case which covers the outside of the unit, with little holes open for the obvious features (cart, charger, SD slot etc). But the other thing I noticed is that the plastic shell actually has quite a sturdy hold on the 3DS; it feels more firm when trying to open and close it, but it also makes the wobble on my hinge nonexistent [​IMG] It only seems to work when in the first clicked position though, but I rarely ever click it as far back as it can go anyway.

The item in question can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/NINTENDO-CRYSTAL-CLE...4852&sr=8-2

The only downside? The slight additional thickness to the case means the inability to fit into the charger base, for now I'm just manually plugging the cable in. [​IMG]

2. altorn

Member altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I have a crystal case and my 3DS is doing great

3. Kuschel-Drow

Member Kuschel-Drow GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Yep, they're definitely great and doing their job very well. [​IMG]
    I'm using these shells too.

4. Herox

Newcomer Herox Member

United States
    Definitely will buy.

5. Kroganwrex

Newcomer Kroganwrex Member

United Kingdom
    Does the case fit snug? What I mean is, when holding it (i.e playing it) do you feel that the 3ds is coming loose slightly - does pushing the 3ds give a noticeable "click" as if its being pushed back into the case to fit. I have had too many crystal cases do that and I hate that.

Also, are there air bubbles on the top? and did the case have any scratches before even putting it on.

Sorry for all of the questions but my last case sucked so bad I want to make sure i dont waste money again on a new one.

All of those questions are referring to the case you linked above, the "QUBITS" case.

6. lithium210

Member lithium210 GBAtemp Fan

United States

I want to get a crystal case but can you still use it with the charging dock?

nm.. just read it doesnt work with it.

7. Sugar Free Orang

Newcomer Sugar Free Orang Newbie

United States
    Thanks so much for the tip, Melee85. I got one of these cases and it works like a charm - no more wobble and the system feels much sturdier in my hands. I love it.

I don't care about the useless charging base anyway. Plugging the charger in directly is fine with me.

8. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    My only fear with those crystal cases is that eventually they will wear down and create some dull spots on the shiny 3DS's shell. I've used similar types of cases on other devices and that has always happened. Although some people may not care, but I do.

9. justmike

Member justmike GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I was using a case like this, but it was pretty tight to fit in my Mad Catz case. Which caused the problem of marks from the analog stick and bottom screen marks.

Also, it does solve the wobble, but, like DeadlyFoez said, it could leave some dull spots.

And can't use it on charging dock.

In a perfect world, it would fit in the case nicely, not causing any marks or leaves any dull spots and charges in the dock. But, as we all know, we live in a land of confusion.

10. yifan_lu

Member yifan_lu @yifanlu

United States
    Does it make the 3DS any heavier? (noticeable)

11. sonicsmash2

Member sonicsmash2 GBAtemp Regular

Australia