3ds hardbrick fix

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by jrock23123, Aug 28, 2016.

1. jrock23123
    OP

jrock23123 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2016
    United States
    Has anyone come up with a way to restore sysnand without going through the process of a hardmod? Ive got backups I just dont know how to solder and don't want to send it off

2. smileyhead

smileyhead I am DEFINITELY a madman with a box.

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    If you don't have A9LH, then hardmod.

3. DeadlyEdge

DeadlyEdge Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2016
    United States
    Do you have A9HL?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

4. jrock23123
    OP

jrock23123 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2016
    United States
    Yes technically. The brick occurred when I installed the emunand over my sysnand. So when my 3ds boots its trying to boot a corrupted emunand. I dunno if that counts or not

5. smileyhead

smileyhead I am DEFINITELY a madman with a box.

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    That shouldn't have caused a brick. That's what I did as well.
    Could you try booting into emunand9, making a fresh backup of your emuNand and restoring it as your sysNand?

6. TheGrayShow1467

TheGrayShow1467 屈折

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    Try booting without an SD card if the EmuNAND was 2.1.0

7. jrock23123
    OP

jrock23123 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2016
    United States
    I tried booting without the sd. When I downgraded my emunand I got a missing nand_bin error but very stupidly tried to write it over my sysnand anyway. I believe thats what caused the brick. Ive tried removing the battery as well. I cant get to recovery mode. All I get is a power light and a black screen.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

my emunand is backed up as well btw

8. ksanislo

ksanislo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    So yo have A9LH, and I assume you have luma as your arm9loaderhax.bin on the SD card currently? Can you hold SELECT on power up and get the luma settings screen?

9. jrock23123
    OP

jrock23123 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2016
    United States
    I didnt get that far in the steps. All I have is emunand 2.1.0 written on my 3ds. My sd card is set up to boot regular reinand

10. ksanislo

ksanislo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    What exactly, as best as you can remember was done regarding that missing nand_bin error you mentioned?

Realistically, there's probably not a whole lot of hope short of a hard mod. If you somehow wrote a corrupted image to the NAND, and you don't have A9LH already installed, there's no way to get the system booted far enough along to get it to where you can write to the NAND again. The hardmod is the only way left to rewrite the contents of the chip.

gnmmarechal and vb_encryption_vb like this.
  11. jrock23123
    OP

jrock23123 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2016
    United States
    I feel like it would be less expensive to replace the motherboard at that point though.

12. ksanislo

ksanislo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    It certainly might be, but a replacement board does still have a chance of being bricked again later on, where as a hard modded board would be salvageable a second time if needed.

But to be honest, I'd probably go with a board swap myself if it was more than a few dollars cheaper. Save the old board anyway though. Since you have a valid backup, someone may eventually want to hard mod it and use it again anyway, particularly if Nintendo releases an update that prevents the hard mod downgrade in the future (which also would block the TWI downgrade method.) Its certainly not worthless as of yet, even if it is currently bricked.