3ds Hacking Itself?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by cspanick, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Apr 1, 2013

3ds Hacking Itself? by cspanick at 5:07 AM (7,796 Views / 0 Likes) 51 replies

1. cspanick
    OP

Newcomer cspanick Member

United States
    Hi, Ive been sitting on this for a while but I finally figured it was time to get an experts opinion in the rare case its not just the graphics card(which I dont think it is). Certain games or demos have textures rearranged or discolored and things in areas they arent supposed to be but the game and hardware acts fine and never crashes or freezes. The strange thing is these ocurances only appear in very particular places and going to areas where it does not occur will never make anything strange happen there. If it was a graphic chip issue I would assume it would affect the whole game and not just certain bits but this is not the case.

I know you will need proof to believe me so here you go:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Note: This happens in more places than just this demo and I can provide more specific evidence if need be.
    Go to about 1:30 in the video to see things changing. It always happens at these points and can be repeated reliabley.

Another example I have never seen anything wrong in super mario sticker star but in final fantasy theathrym it only happens for summons thats it.

2. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Congrats, you hacked the 3DS. What do you plan to do with your newfound knowledge?

In all seriousness, either you're playing shitty games and demos, or your video chip is going bad. Most likely the latter.

Shade Tempest and 431unknown like this.
  3. cspanick
    OP

Newcomer cspanick Member

United States
    Well its actually been like this since I got it a year ago and it always happens in the same places. Also you can rule out shitty games and demos cause i redownloaded the demo and tryed the same game carts that worked fine on my cousins identical one. Do you think the video chip could have been screwy out of the box? And yea lol i didnt expect much but its really been bugging me latley and could never find anything online similar so decided to ask.

Still a win if its the video chip as I can return it sams club and exchange for the XL.

4. Pleng

Member Pleng GBAtemp Maniac

Thailand
    Video embedding disabled by (owner) request? Posted on April 1?

Cool

YamiHoshi.nl likes this.
  5. cspanick
    OP

Newcomer cspanick Member

United States
    I only did that cause I didnt know if this board frowned upon youtube spam.
    Im also not doing it for a joke lol but its funny that you think that:lol:

I enabled embedding so hopefully it should show up.

I realize after the above bolding and smiley face some people may still think this a joke so let me clarify its not.

6. 2ndApex

Member 2ndApex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I don't think you know what the word "hacking" means.

Shade Tempest, Ammako, Pluupy and 6 others like this.
  7. cspanick
    OP

Newcomer cspanick Member

United States
    Well i dont mean hack lol I just mean possible lead for code that could be used to exploit it.

If it reliably only occurs at certain areas/games it makes me think theres something different about those instances. For example I have never encountered this in super mario sticker stars but always in final fantasy theatrhytm and the summons are messed up, nothing else ever. Also in the new mh3u the starting town tavern has problems but every area outside of that including the whole woods is fine.

8. Sicklyboy

United States
    I don't mean as in a broken download. That wouldn't have run at all. I mean the demo and games just being shitty overall.

They run fine on your cousin's 3DS? There you go, problem is isolated to yours. You have faulty hardware, go get it exchanged or repaired before your return or warranty are up.

I've had overheating and/or damaged graphics cards that do the same thing in Half Life 2 and World of Warcraft on my computer.

SuzieJoeBob likes this.
  9. cspanick
    OP

Newcomer cspanick Member

United States
    I get what your saying and all but why do you think the graphic errors are always in the same places and not even in some games?

10. duffmmann

Member duffmmann GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I think you simply have a defective 3DS. Clearly its not defective in a way that makes it unplayable, but it is defective in a way where errors like you posted can occur.

11. cspanick
    OP

Newcomer cspanick Member

United States
    yea I know its most likely defective it just bugs me not to know the reason why, like what part malfuntioning could cause reocurrent graphical errors in only certain instances that can be recreated and never any other time? Could it be a certain shader on the gfx chip that affects those certain textures which is why it only happens in those areas or something along those lines?

12. loco365

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

A 3DS hacking itself? That's about as likely as a math question solving itself. It'll never happen.

13. Sicklyboy

United States
    Without having all of the technical answers you are looking for - some points in some games/some textures may just stress a certain/faulty part of the gfx chip too much and cause it to do that. And some games just might not trigger it.

Imagine a car, old one, works fine for around town stuff, doing an average of 45-55mph. Once you take it on the highway though and you're pushing >70mph it starts overheating.

pelago and RodrigoDavy like this.
  14. cspanick
    OP

Newcomer cspanick Member

United States
    Yea that makes sense I guess i just never imagined the chip was that advanced that something could go wrong without it not booting or being really obvious as a result. Im also just not used to having faulty products, this is the only one ive had in recent memory. I still even have my launch day xbox360 and it somehow never red ringed.

Also its strange there was no lag associated as I had perfect frames if the graphics card is taxing itself on my comp I usally get low frames. Idk maybe some weird 3ds architecture thing

15. superrainbow
    This message by superrainbow has been removed from public view by Costello, Jun 19, 2013.
    Apr 1, 2013
  16. tronic307

Member tronic307 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Congrats, you've found a 'secret world' glitch. Plenty of games have them, it's not a hack or a 3DS thing.

17. LeonardoF.Matheu

Member LeonardoF.Matheu GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    ha!

I miss the old times when games and systems needed persons in order for a hacking to happen. Damn you, automation!

18. DiabloStorm

Member DiabloStorm Five Gold Star Medalist

United States
  19. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    ... dirty contacts? Heat issues?

20. Metab.

Member Metab. Check my signature for the latest news on the 3DS

Australia
    Really?
    So if a PC game shows a glitch you automatically thinks that the computer is 'hacking itself'? wut?
    It's a game glitch, almost 100% of games have them, do you think this will suddenly enable hacking/exploitation of the 3DS? No.
    It's like finding a new level or finding a faster way around the MK7 track(Like the one that was patched) Think of it as being apart of the game.

Shade Tempest likes this.
  21. SuzieJoeBob

Member SuzieJoeBob NOT a New Member

United States
    The only way you could remove any doubt that the people here have, as well as not be ridiculed & be called an idiot by these guys, is to send the system by mail to either Neimod or Yellow8. I doubt you won't want to, as it sounds like this is your only system, but that is completely understandable.

Long-story short, you can either get a replacement (Nintendo is very generous when it comes to that), mail it to Neimod or Yellow8, or do some hacking of your own and prove your worth to GBATemp (they will still criticize you unless you give Neimod your findings and have him validate it).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.