Status
Not open for further replies.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's pretty much it. A game card would not have access to system level functions or even direct hardware access, because it doesn't have those privileges, so an exploit in that game would run unsigned code with the same privileges. A permahack isn't usually possible without a kernel exploit, you've always got to run the game and the save exploit to get to homebrew. Sometimes a kernel mode exploit can be launched on top of a userland exploit, a good example of this is how twilight hack (userland exploit) was used to run the hackmii installer, which could install Bootmii/HBC via a bug in IOS (~kernel exploit).

In the case of the Wii (and Smash Stack), games could not receive software updates and that is why the exploits couldn't be patched. In the case of the 3DS, patches can be applied via manually downloaded updates and firmware updates, so you can bet that, if it's patchable, it will be patched.Also, since it's a save game exploit, it wouldn't be too difficult for a security expert to take a look at the modified saved game and figure out how it works. I imagine this particular exploit would be patched within a month after release.

It's unlikely we'll see this exploit released before a kernel mode exploit is found, unless a) Nintendo get lucky and find/patch it first; or b) Another, completely different userland exploit is found and there's no need to hold this one back.

Yellows8 apparently claimed it already included a kernel mode exploit.
The "WE HACKED IT" was apparently a modification of errdisp which is a system process.

IRC quotes aren't reliable though so I wouldn't hold my breath on this being true until it's announced in a more reliable way. (maybe neimod could post the picture on his flickr stream?)

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who is THAT?
if you have a Wii and it happens to be hacked, its probably that you have some homebrew coded by that guy. He made lots of contributions to the Wii scene (DIOS-MIOS and SNEEK to name a few)

I watched the *Update* earlier today and that shit caught me completely off guard.
lol, same here.
Just when I though: "these guys at GT are stupid... just use an AR code to get to 9999999!" the name Crediar pops up :lol:

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm not sacrificing anything. :)

I'm sure the 3DS is more secured then people think over here. It's most likely has advance security measures, such as blocking online capabilities of modified 3DS's. I remember some X-360's where hardware blocked from online other than account banned. ;)

I also believe that,
but even if that's the case, I'm pretty happy to sacrifice e-shop access and online gaming.
For me, having emulators is more than enoug.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The 3DS is a fair bit more powerful than the PSP, so I'd hope it's possible - the Wii (from what I've read) is similar in power to the 3DS and can run an N64 emulator, so I'd hope it's possible...?

I know it's a stronger than PSP, but I preffer to not get my hopes high, it's better than get dissapointed.
If it ever gets released; awesome, gonna play banjo tooie/kazooie, conker's bad fur day, kirby crystal shards and many others.

But before that I'll be beating 100% Super Mario World one more time :yay:

MegaBassBX

The Noble Sate User
Trophies
XP
Country
It depends on who the person is!
And yes when someone like bushing, marcan, crediar or yellows8 posts only a picture, i know that it is no fake.

Why are you that sure are they some kind of a legend , also it would be nice if they add some technical details, but most likely they won't because the fear of using the info for illegal activities. Which will happen I hope ^_^

Reactions: chaossaturn

Unagi

A disgrace to his famiry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather the team try to keep this stuff under wraps and only post in the case of a major breakthrough or further proof. I don't need to say what happened with the Crown3DS hoax, do I?

dreampeppers99

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
But before that I'll be beating 100% Super Mario World one more time :yay:
No possible bro ! Just kidding ;)
Mario-01.JPG

ClickCLK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Just read the WHOLE thread looking for some new info. After some first pages i find none, and that was dissapointing. Now to get on ropic: from the IRC logs from first pages we can make a little summary of info on this exploit:

1) This is a 3DS mode exploit
2) This is a Userland exploit
3) This is a savegame exploit
4) It runs from SD Card
5) It modifies error handling function's text because devs can't load graphics output yet (there is very little info known about inner working of 3ds functions and how to access and load them).
I hope I didn't mess something up.

So, my question is: if this exploit will get released it will be patched with system updates and game patches, but because it's based on game on cartridge, not e-shop one, nintendo can't do anything in case you won't update system firmware and don't install any patches. Am I right? I bought my 3DS on preorder and still on 1.0.0-0 FW patiently waiting for exploit, so i will not have troubles with not updating :)

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: NahuelDS

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Yellows8 apparently claimed it already included a kernel mode exploit.
The "WE HACKED IT" was apparently a modification of errdisp which is a system process.

IRC quotes aren't reliable though so I wouldn't hold my breath on this being true until it's announced in a more reliable way. (maybe neimod could post the picture on his flickr stream?)
SifJar posted an IRC log where yellows8 said it wasn't a kernel mode exploit. ErrDisp is part of the System API, so it is callable from game code, perhaps patching it doesn't require a kernel mode exploit (which would make sense if all this information corroborates). But, fingers crossed, I could be wrong and they might be able to do something at the system level.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

dqma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are people demanding proof?

If you could understand it, wouldn't you be one of the people hacking the 3DS?

Oxybelis

Trophies
XP
Country
The 3DS is a fair bit more powerful than the PSP, so I'd hope it's possible - the Wii (from what I've read) is similar in power to the 3DS and can run an N64 emulator, so I'd hope it's possible...?

Off topic: GBAtemp really needs to add a sarcasm tag. Costello, take note. ;)
No. PS1, N64 and PSP use MIPS processor. So it's easier to emulate them on PSP. 3DS has ARM processor. Wii has much more powerful CPU than 3DS.

samagon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just read the WHOLE thread looking for some new info. After some first pages i find none, and that was dissapointing. Now to get on ropic: from the IRC logs from first pages we can make a little summary of info on this exploit:

1) This is a 3DS mode exploit
2) This is a Userland exploit
3) This is a savegame exploit
4) It runs from SD Card
5) It modifies error handling function's text because devs can't load graphics output yet (there is very little info known about inner working of 3ds functions and how to access and load them).
I hope I didn't mess something up.

So, my question is: if this exploit will get released it will be patched with system updates and game patches, but because it's based on game on cartridge, not e-shop one, nintendo can't do anything in case you won't update system firmware and don't install any patches. Am I right? I bought my 3DS on preorder and still on 1.0.0-0 FW patiently waiting for exploit, so i will not have troubles with not updating :)

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, this exploit is firmware dependent and since it is based on a cartridge save exploit it can only be fixed by a firmware update. But it is interesting to note that it was achieved with the current firmware so you might want to update your 3DS right now because there is no way to update to a specific firmware other than by using updates on cartridges and to my knowledge no cartridge ships with the current firmware.

With this being said I don't think he plans to release any homebrew with the current exploit. Since it is easily patchable I expect him to either keep it to himself or share it with a handful of trusted individuals. He finally got his foot in the door so to speak and could use this to further reverse engineer the 3DS until a kernel exploit or another unpatchable method is found. I am all but certain we won't be hearing about this anymore until another exploit is found and the eventual write up will mention how this exploit helped find the new one. Between reverse engineering and looking for a better exploit this might take ages.

Reactions: shakirmoledina

Seratonin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, this exploit is firmware dependent and since it is based on a cartridge save exploit it can only be fixed by a firmware update. But it is interesting to note that it was achieved with the current firmware so you might want to update your 3DS right now because there is no way to update to a specific firmware other than by using updates on cartridges and to my knowledge no cartridge ships with the current firmware.

With this being said I don't think he plans to release any homebrew with the current exploit. Since it is easily patchable I expect him to either keep it to himself or share it with a handful of trusted individuals. He finally got his foot in the door so to speak and could use this to further reverse engineer the 3DS until a kernel exploit or another unpatchable method is found. I am all but certain we won't be hearing about this anymore until another exploit is found and the eventual write up will mention how this exploit helped find the new one. Between reverse engineering and looking for a better exploit this might take ages.

I was told that I shouldn't update just in case... Should I update?

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man! I go to sleep and dream an exploit was found for the 3DS, and ITS TRUE!
Quick, go to sleep and dream of Lindsay Lohan walking like a crab!!!!!!!!! lol

But seriously, if this does happen to be true (it's yellows8, so it must be true), then what will happen to the money collected for the decapping fundraiser??? I don't think just about the here-and-now, but the future as well.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Quick, go to sleep and dream of Lindsay Lohan walking like a crab!!!!!!!!! lol

But seriously, if this does happen to be true (it's yellows8, so it must be true), then what will happen to the money collected for the decapping fundraiser??? I don't think just about the here-and-now, but the future as well.
More information is always a good thing. It's probably not like this blows the whole 3DS wide open.

Lurker2

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was told that I shouldn't update just in case... Should I update?
I always found that approach to be a cautious one. The way I see it is the hacker will most likely update their device anyway so keeping it on a low firmware is most likely a waste. There is a chance a exploit is found on older firmwares but it usually or never happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Jdbye you right, guess just never hear it pronounced like that here so just sounds weird to me. +1