Status
Not open for further replies.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, what private keys are you referring to? Because there would be no reason for SD encryption to be asymmetric, they could use a single key...
... I just asked if the private keys are stored in the 3DS or not.*facepalm. Most of the time, they are, and yet Sifjar said they aren't So I wanted to be sure.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What mistake did sony make?
If i recall they stored both keys on the ps3 but as of 3.56+ the private keys are encrypted with a high end algorithm one that we have A .000000000000000000000001% chance of cracking we need the algo key and the private key to sign cfw/homebrew again for 3.56+ ofw

Shubshub

The Shubinator
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
If i recall they stored both keys on the ps3 but as of 3.56+ the private keys are encrypted with a high end algorithm one that we have A .000000000000000000000001% chance of cracking we need the algo key and the private key to sign cfw/homebrew again for 3.56+ ofw
So PS3 has no Homebrew again yet?

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and don't say the lv 0 keys solved it cause you can only go up to higher cfw cause we have the unencrypted key for 3.55 and below the other way you can update the cfw is by installing over a current cfw on your ps3

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What mistake did sony make?
Storing the private keys into the console so it could be found by hackers (Fail0verflow). Which means that they could sign unofficial content with it on any PS3, which means that the console itself wouldn't even need to be hacked. Not only that, if the key were to be changed, it would render old games useless since the games that were signed before wouldn't be compatible with the new key.
The private key was later posted by a hacker named geohot, later Sony sued both the hacker and Fail0verflow.
I don't think it's been fixed... although I am NOT SURE if it has been fixed at all!

Edit: it's been fixed as now they are heavily encrypted apparently. Which makes it harder to crack. XD

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
As far as I remember, the private keys weren't actually stored on the PS3. Sony just botched their encryption algorithm in a way that let f0f guys calculate the key from other known values.

Not only that, if the key were to be changed, it would render old games useless since the games that were signed before wouldn't be compatible with the new key.

Newer firmwares had a different private key, and a whitelist of all software signed with the old key.

Reactions: megazig

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Storing the private keys into the console so it could be found by hackers (Fail0verflow). Which means that they could sign unofficial content with it on any PS3ot only that, if the key were to be changed, it would render old games useless since the games that were signed, which means that the console itself wouldn't even need to be hacked. N before wouldn't be compatible with the new key.
The private key was later posted by a hacker named geohot, later Sony sued both the hacker and Fail0verflow.
I don't think it's been fixed... although I am NOT SURE if it has been fixed at all!

Edit: it's been fixed as now they are heavily encrypted apparently. Which makes it harder to crack. XD

yes is changed somewhat at 3.56+ they implimented a blacklist and white list so older games will work but unoffical brew wouldn't

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
... I just asked if the private keys are stored in the 3DS or not.*facepalm. Most of the time, they are, and yet Sifjar said they aren't So I wanted to be sure.
"most of the time, they are" - no they aren't. That would completely defeat the point of assymetric encryption. The only time private keys were stored on a console was some of the PSP keys being stored on the PS3.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw we might not need the private keys, all we need are the public and SD keys even to run roms off the SD card simmilar to running isos off of the psp's MS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over