Hacking 3DS Hack: "We hacked it"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
Region locking- main reasons I can think of is that it makes it a lot easier to run things through localised censorship boards and gives them more opportunity to target certain markets- VLR in the US has American voice acting as (companies think) many Americans will be put off by Japanese voices, however the UK localusation keeps the japanese

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
Region locking- main reasons I can think of is that it makes it a lot easier to run things through localised censorship boards and gives them more opportunity to target certain markets- VLR in the US has American voice acting as (companies think) many Americans will be put off by Japanese voices, however the UK localusation keeps the japanese

That just means they should localize and release different versions of the same game in different markets. It doesnt mean it should go out of its way to prevent you from using what you go to the effort of importing.

Reactions: Rydian

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
I do agree, but region locking also serves as a kind of advertising- people who have their fingers on the pulse will be bemoaning the region lock of, say, Monster Hunter and that will bring it to the attention of others in their peer group.

I am against region locking, btw, but I can see the logic behind it even if it is massively flawed

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Troll alert, troll alert!

There, fixed it for ya. ;)

Besides, that image with the custom TWEWY graphics and text means that there IS some progress after all. It would be quite overdue in my opinion.

As for region locking, boosting hype is also a consideration. Not to mention some fanatics buy 2 consoles (one US, and one EU/JAP, sometimes even both of the latter), which means additional cha-ching for Nintendo/Sony/MS. And of course, video games' regulation is quite different in the US and the EU (even the rating system is different with ESRB stateside, and PEGI here in Europe - and Japan has CERO). Importing is sort of a grey ground, I guess - especially that if there's a banned game somewhere (e.g. Postal 2 in Germany), and even though it's illegal to sell it, importing it can't be controlled.

Reactions: Mexilon

Kunokai

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
29 December 12 Neimod has gained full kernel control from an unmodified 3DS.

Soo... it means that it hacked? all we need to do is wait for the hack to be released?

lismati

Speedrunner in practice
Trophies
Website
www.wiiplanet.info
XP
Country
Poland
Before, I wasn't in for closing this topic, cause a nice chatlog popped from time to time. Now one can see two schemes here:
1. People arguing about wether piracy is good or not and why piracy is a mortal sin, and why it is so popular... so on and so forth
2. People not bothering to read the first post/page of this topic and asking "CAN I PLAY ROMZ NAO????" or "WHERE IZ DOWNLOADS HACK?"
Mods, please close

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've hacked it too, i just wont release it either...or maybe not, either way you gotta believe me right?

this guy has been saying stuff for quite a while but hasn't released anything. internet really creates jesus-es.

ShadowSora13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So we have kernel access now(by we i mean the scene not the guys theorycrafting on forums)we need the exploit and some loaders now i think....
Just keep your 3ds out from wifi(though nintendo 99% cant do anything but who knows maybe they already had a backup plan for this situation) and w8....
\o/ neimod and the scene!

P.S i would like someone with the proper knowledge to clear the things up.

grimmthorn

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
No need to close a thread like this, this is the first plausible thing towards breaking the 3DS that I've seen yet so I would love to get updates in here. If this gets closed, everytime a new "proof image" pops in neimod's stream we would get a new thread. I would just take serious measures agains the trolls, post hunters and flamers. Sure, it takes time, but I'm sure I haven't seen more than one ban in here, when it should have been a whole rain from Hell.

Now then, this is awesome progress, as is! I'm smart enough to know that it will take a lot of time to make it into an actual user-friendly hack, but I can wait.
The only thing that I am interested in is removing the region lock. Sure, I can understand why they (Nintendo) enforced it, but that doesn't help me much. I buy all my games, I collect them so I buy a few but good. I actually bought a japanese 3DS even though I'm european, just so I can play Monster Hunter 3G. The problem is that any game that I want to play, I have to order from Japan. I don't mind that much, but I hate it when I can find the same game for way cheaper here, and I don't have to wait 1-3 weeks for it. When I want a game, I buy it. Having to wait for it for weeks after that usually sucks. I don't care about piracy nor homebrew, and I actually salute them for not allowing it through the hack - more piracy means less development.

P.S. Then again, I may just buy myself an european 3DS and be done with it. But this is still great progress :)

ShadowSora13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
There is no reason to close the thread dont get cocky and wannabe admins/mods guys....
The rest Stop arguing about piracy it has downsides and upsides /end and yes no more cpp arguing too :D
(yeye i know i acted like a wannabe mod xD)

Reactions: Mexilon

lismati

Speedrunner in practice
Trophies
Website
www.wiiplanet.info
XP
Country
Poland
So we have kernel access now(by we i mean the scene not the guys theorycrafting on forums)we need the exploit and some loaders now i think....
Just keep your 3ds out from wifi(though nintendo 99% cant do anything but who knows maybe they already had a backup plan for this situation) and w8....
\o/ neimod and the scene!

P.S i would like someone with the proper knowledge to clear the things up.
I'm no hacker but let me help you
The exploit is done, neimod says it was an unmodified 3DS, so no soldering needed, My strongest bet righ now would be twigliht hack-like thing.
Also, people with access to this exploit can be counted on fingers of one hand (most probably), and it's a cart based game, so it can't be replaced so easily like the PSP games on Vita.
I bet the situation here (the 3DS scene) is similair to the situation on the Vita scene. Yifan Lu said that he has an Usermode Vita Exploit (UVLoader) but he won't release it, cause that would put it to waste. There's no way of writing homebrews, no libs to compile code with. Same goes with 3DS as of now

Reactions: ShadowSora13

ShadowSora13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Neimod's Twitter(Propably mentioned or posted before but nvm)
https://twitter.com/neimod

Dont know if its the true twitter of him and not a kid trolling but assuming he said something is coming at 27/12/12 to ozmodchips and 2 days later he got Kernel Access i can say its true :)

nukeboy95

Old skool member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm no hacker but let me help you
The exploit is done, neimod says it was an unmodified 3DS, so no soldering needed, My strongest bet righ now would be twigliht hack-like thing.
Also, people with access to this exploit can be counted on fingers of one hand (most probably), and it's a cart based game, so it can't be replaced so easily like the PSP games on Vita.
I bet the situation here (the 3DS scene) is similair to the situation on the Vita scene. Yifan Lu said that he has an Usermode Vita Exploit (UVLoader) but he won't release it, cause that would put it to waste. There's no way of writing homebrews, no libs to compile code with. Same goes with 3DS as of now
he said you have to open your gamecard

Mexilon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Reactions: ShadowSora13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat