Hardware 3ds got slightly wet...Now in rice...

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Minor water damage shouldn't affect it considering i wet my ds and didn't bother drying it.
Good too hear they survived!
eh, that's really not true. even one tiny drop can cause a total failure of the system if it gets in the wrong spot.
usually it should be fine. but i myself wouldn't take any risks with it.

Steve Antony Williams

Trophies
XP
Country
I dropped my PSP 1000 in the bath years ago. I opened the various covers, took out the battery and card etc and left it to dry out on top of a towel for a couple of weeks. Put it together again and it was fine. I still have it now, it still works fine, just completed Trails In The Sky first & second chapters on it.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I dropped my PSP 1000 in the bath years ago. I opened the various covers, took out the battery and card etc and left it to dry out on top of a towel for a couple of weeks. Put it together again and it was fine. I still have it now, it still works fine, just completed Trails In The Sky first & second chapters on it.
PSP's are fking weird. mine wouldn't charge the battery anymore. tried for a week to get it working. gave up. year later i decided to buy an external battery charger. put the battery into it. it wouldn't charge for some reason. put it back into the PSP. suddenly it started charging again. it's witchcraft i tell you. it's been fine ever since. and that was a year+ ago.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Take it out of the rice. If the dust gets inside the 3DS, it can cause permanent damage.

Take the unit apart completely, and let it air dry in the sun. Turn all the pieces over in a few days.

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
Minor water damage shouldn't affect it
You should never assume that. It's not the water itself that causes the problem. It's electrical damage caused by the water conducting power to places it shouldn't be. Imagine if the water shorted from the batter directly to some sensitive component; it could burn out that component and destroy it. Even a small amount of water can do that.

Water can also shorten the life span of the PCB or components by causing corrosion which can manifest as problems later on.

Just because you were lucky and no permanent damage was caused, that doesn't mean water damage doesn't cause problems.

Amapola62

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have no way of taking a 3ds apart completely...and no knowledge of how to put it back together again afterwards...

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
My n3DS XL was sitting on a recycling bin while I was mowing the lawn. Powered on.

I forgot that the ground was slanted, so the system slid off and fell into a garbage can full of water. Submerged. Fully. For around half a minute. I mean, I was mowing.

It was still on for a good 10 seconds before I could remove the battery. After about three hours, taking the motherboard out and setting it in the sun/AC fan, it didn't turn on. Covered the console up with slightly ground up rice, I set it back in the sun.

Waiting for the rest of the day, until night, I took it away from the sun, wiped the rice dust off, reassembled it, and it turned on again. There was water under the screens, but it somehow evaporated since then, and it still works now.

Last edited by Halvorsen,

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
I have no way of taking a 3ds apart completely...and no knowledge of how to put it back together again afterwards...
It's not hard really, you just need a small philips screwdriver, and there are plenty of guides.

JCCG1989

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
My n3DS XL was sitting on a recycling bin while I was mowing the lawn. Powered on.

I forgot that the ground was slanted, so the system slid off and fell into a garbage can full of water. Submerged. Fully. For around half a minute. I mean, I was mowing.

It was still on for a good 10 seconds before I could remove the battery. After about three hours, taking the motherboard out and setting it in the sun/AC fan, it didn't turn on. Covered the console up with slightly ground up rice, I set it back in the sun.

Waiting for the rest of the day, until night, I took it away from the sun, wiped the rice dust off, reassembled it, and it turned on again. There was water under the screens, but it somehow evaporated since then, and it still works now.

This comment felt likethe greatest creepy pasta to my beloved N3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson