3ds got slightly wet...Now in rice...

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Amapola62, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Amapola62
    OP

Amapola62 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 25, 2015
    France
    A bottle of water in my bag opened and spilled...both of my 3dses were in my bag sharing the same transport pouch which got wet and some water went on the 3ds...they are now sitting in rice...hopefully drying...

How long should they stay there? Are they likely to survive?
    The standard 3ds was wet on the back and the 3ds xl on the l and r buttons and around the cartridge slot...

And I installed ALH on them just 2 weeks ago...:(

2. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Leave them in the rice and don't power them on for a few days. They weren't turned on when they got wet, were they? If not, chances are pretty good that they'll survive if you're patient.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also, if you have any of those silica gel packets that say "DO NOT EAT" on them, they'll help too.

3. Amapola62
    OP

Oct 25, 2015
    France
    They were switched off. Hopefully they survive...

4. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N oh no

Jun 7, 2016
    United States
    Sixth Circle of Hell
    Yeah, got my 3DS wet once, left it in a bag of rice for a few days. Touch screen was a tad wonky for a while (always detected input at the top left corner of the screen), but the problem went away after a few days.

In other words, your 3DSes should be fine. They were powered off, so you should expect them to be up and running again within a few days.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  5. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 6, 2014
    Sorry to hear it. I hope they turn out to be fine! <3

Seriel likes this.
  6. Posghetti

Posghetti Greninja Master

Mar 15, 2016
    United States
    Michigan
    Man that sucks to hear, but like everyone said already just be patient with it and let it dry off in the rice. If you wanna be extra sure it's dry and the system is clean just open the console up and self dry it after (if you know what you're doing that is)

7. andeers

andeers Member

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2012
    Cote d'Ivoire
    If you have any, add that silica gel bags that come with shoes, they will adsorb the water and will be faster than rice only.

Xenon Hacks and dimmidice like this.
  8. JCCG1989

JCCG1989 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 16, 2016
    Mexico
    After getting the systems off the rice open them and see if anywater is visibble in any electronic component, DON'T INSTA-TURN ON the systems, you can use a hair dryed for some minutes to more accuracy, your systems will be fine, dont worry.

9. GalladeGuy

GalladeGuy Freeze Kirby :3

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    That sucks. May the rice gods have mercy on this poor soul. ;)

gnmmarechal likes this.
  10. Darkyose

Darkyose Mysterious

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Home Alone Somewhere.
    Hope it survives, good luck! :)

11. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Rip good luck

Darkyose likes this.
  12. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    this is good advice. i would also wrap your 3DS's in some paper towels (just one layer or so) then put it in an airtight box with rice (and silica bags if you have them) and keep it closed for at least 2-3 days.

you might be wondering why i mention paper towels it's so the rice doesnt leave any residue on your 3DS

13. olec04

olec04 Working on Project Heaven!

Banned
    Apr 10, 2015
    United States
    Trying to downgrade on 11.0 via AM services
    gl m8

14. Amapola62
    OP

Oct 25, 2015
    France
    It's hard resisting the temptation of turning on the consoles to play with them...but I have to resist...until tomorrow evening or the day after...

15. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Yeah, leave it as long as you can. The longer you leave it, the better the chance it will work :)

dimmidice likes this.
  16. Amapola62
    OP

Oct 25, 2015
    France
    3dses alive...seemingly for now...only switched them on for a few seconds...:D

Red9419 and Shadowfied like this.
  17. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    Yeah it's like when I drop the game cards in water all the time (Happens more than you would think)
    Although I haven't heard of this whole rice thing, I usually leave them alone for a few days and they're fine, even if they're completely soaked (Like the one which I accidently dropped in a cup of water, gg me.)

18. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    that was quite dumb to be honest. if it had still been wet that second of turning it on would've ruined em.

you haven't heard of the rice thing? rice is very absorbing. so if you put water and rice in a closed container then the water will be much more quickly absorbed than if it was just left to evaporate on its own. it's simple, but it works.

ItsMetaKnight, gnmmarechal and Seriel like this.
  19. Red9419

Red9419 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 17, 2014
    I once spilled a cup of lemonade on my dsi. Just wiped it off, but then the blue led turned purple. I was like 9 so thought it was cool. Then a day later it turned off. I let it sit for a day later it turned on. Minor water damage shouldn't affect it considering i wet my ds and didn't bother drying it.
    Good too hear they survived!

20. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    Oh yeah a couple years ago I took my 3ds out in the rain and the notification light was stuck on some weird colour for a while. I can't remember the exact colour but it was like greny-blueish, not the normal green or blue though.