Hardware 3ds got slightly wet...Now in rice...

Amapola62

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
A bottle of water in my bag opened and spilled...both of my 3dses were in my bag sharing the same transport pouch which got wet and some water went on the 3ds...they are now sitting in rice...hopefully drying...

How long should they stay there? Are they likely to survive?
The standard 3ds was wet on the back and the 3ds xl on the l and r buttons and around the cartridge slot...

And I installed ALH on them just 2 weeks ago...:(

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Leave them in the rice and don't power them on for a few days. They weren't turned on when they got wet, were they? If not, chances are pretty good that they'll survive if you're patient.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, if you have any of those silica gel packets that say "DO NOT EAT" on them, they'll help too.

D

Deleted User

Yeah, got my 3DS wet once, left it in a bag of rice for a few days. Touch screen was a tad wonky for a while (always detected input at the top left corner of the screen), but the problem went away after a few days.

In other words, your 3DSes should be fine. They were powered off, so you should expect them to be up and running again within a few days.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Posghetti

Un-official ReVeluv Leader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man that sucks to hear, but like everyone said already just be patient with it and let it dry off in the rice. If you wanna be extra sure it's dry and the system is clean just open the console up and self dry it after (if you know what you're doing that is)

JCCG1989

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
After getting the systems off the rice open them and see if anywater is visibble in any electronic component, DON'T INSTA-TURN ON the systems, you can use a hair dryed for some minutes to more accuracy, your systems will be fine, dont worry.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you have any, add that silica gel bags that come with shoes, they will adsorb the water and will be faster than rice only.
this is good advice. i would also wrap your 3DS's in some paper towels (just one layer or so) then put it in an airtight box with rice (and silica bags if you have them) and keep it closed for at least 2-3 days.

you might be wondering why i mention paper towels it's so the rice doesnt leave any residue on your 3DS

Amapola62

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's hard resisting the temptation of turning on the consoles to play with them...but I have to resist...until tomorrow evening or the day after...

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah it's like when I drop the game cards in water all the time (Happens more than you would think)
Although I haven't heard of this whole rice thing, I usually leave them alone for a few days and they're fine, even if they're completely soaked (Like the one which I accidently dropped in a cup of water, gg me.)

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
3dses alive...seemingly for now...only switched them on for a few seconds...:D
that was quite dumb to be honest. if it had still been wet that second of turning it on would've ruined em.

Yeah it's like when I drop the game cards in water all the time (Happens more than you would think)
Although I haven't heard of this whole rice thing, I usually leave them alone for a few days and they're fine, even if they're completely soaked (Like the one which I accidently dropped in a cup of water, gg me.)
you haven't heard of the rice thing? rice is very absorbing. so if you put water and rice in a closed container then the water will be much more quickly absorbed than if it was just left to evaporate on its own. it's simple, but it works.

Red9419

Trophies
XP
Country
I once spilled a cup of lemonade on my dsi. Just wiped it off, but then the blue led turned purple. I was like 9 so thought it was cool. Then a day later it turned off. I let it sit for a day later it turned on. Minor water damage shouldn't affect it considering i wet my ds and didn't bother drying it.
Good too hear they survived!

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I once spilled a cup of lemonade on my dsi. Just wiped it off, but then the blue led turned purple. I was like 9 so thought it was cool.
Oh yeah a couple years ago I took my 3ds out in the rain and the notification light was stuck on some weird colour for a while. I can't remember the exact colour but it was like greny-blueish, not the normal green or blue though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: