phantastic91

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Im not an expert on this but im just saying this from experience. it may be just me.

anyways...from playing samurai warriors 3ds i noticed that i get a lot of ghosting when there is a dark backgroud (like in a night setting), for example, the first stage is night and i can see ghosting. Sometimes i dont see if but its still there, im just not focusing on it. But during daylight scenes, there are no ghosting at all. if someone has samurai warriors, play the first level and tell me if you see ghosting too. Also when you beat the first level, the characters doing some sort of victory dance---do you guys see major ghosting here?

i just beat part 2 of samurai warriors and there was a movie scene and there was subtitles, but the subtitles was placed on a black background. hence, I THINK thats the cause of the ghosting. its pretty annoying. i tried googling 'samurai warriors 3ds ghosting" and i stumbled upon a post saying that the parallel barrier tech has trouble sending bright color images to the correct eye when there is a dark background. is that true? and the subtitles for the movie scene at the end of part two is different than the other subtitles throughout the game that uses subtitle/no 3d. the one i saw is in full 3d so it pops out a bit-but with ghosting for me.

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
phantastic91 said:
Im not an expert on this but im just saying this from experience. it may be just me.

anyways...from playing samurai warriors 3ds i noticed that i get a lot of ghosting when there is a dark backgroud (like in a night setting), for example, the first stage is night and i can see ghosting. Sometimes i dont see if but its still there, im just not focusing on it. But during daylight scenes, there are no ghosting at all. if someone has samurai warriors, play the first level and tell me if you see ghosting too. Also when you beat the first level, the characters doing some sort of victory dance---do you guys see major ghosting here?

i just beat part 2 of samurai warriors and there was a movie scene and there was subtitles, but the subtitles was placed on a black background. hence, I THINK thats the cause of the ghosting. its pretty annoying. i tried googling 'samurai warriors 3ds ghosting" and i stumbled upon a post saying that the parallel barrier tech has trouble sending bright color images to the correct eye when there is a dark background. is that true? and the subtitles for the movie scene at the end of part two is different than the other subtitles throughout the game that uses subtitle/no 3d. the one i saw is in full 3d so it pops out a bit-but with ghosting for me.

Try tilting your 3DS up or down. I seem to habe ghosting when tilted to far upwards. Does that change anything for you? It's unrelated to any specific game for me.

And no, it should not have any issue with bright colors, that only applies for color-stereo (eg red/blue) things. The 3DS displays a own picture for each eye, so those limits do not apply.

However, I see the ghosting more clearly in dark scenes, too. I suppose since it's rather weak, brighter scenery easily overlaps it, making it barely visible. Try the tilting!

phantastic91

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Strider said:
phantastic91 said:

Try tilting your 3DS up or down. I seem to habe ghosting when tilted to far upwards. Does that change anything for you? It's unrelated to any specific game for me.

And no, it should not have any issue with bright colors, that only applies for color-stereo (eg red/blue) things. The 3DS displays a own picture for each eye, so those limits do not apply.

However, I see the ghosting more clearly in dark scenes, too. I suppose since it's rather weak, brighter scenery easily overlaps it, making it barely visible. Try the tilting!

sorry tilting doesn't work haha! even so...i would rather play a game in the perfect postion..not tilting my ds. and looking back almost all of my ghosting were in dark scenes. Like someone uploaded a batman 3ds screen shots and the one screen i had ghosting was on the batman one holding a piece of paper and that white paper showed ghosting on a dark background (batman). just a guess....just wondering what the problem is becuase reading subtitles with ghosting = very annoying.

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, I think we're talking about the same thing. In Ridge Racer 3D things to that when driving through a tunnel.

I just meant tilting up or down by maybe 1-3° (oops, not percent!
biggrin.gif
), not really changing a comfortable hold.

phantastic91

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Strider said:
Yeah, I think we're talking about the same thing. In Ridge Racer 3D things to that when driving through a tunnel.

I just meant tilting up or down by maybe 1-3%, not really changing a comfortable hold.
i really dont think tilting up or down does anything. i know what you mean though because i do it my my games too but for me i only see it move the ghosting image a little or dissapear a little (i think it just moves) it never gets rid of the problem. if it does then, i think you just didn't have the 3ds in the sweetspot in the first place. if it does work for you thats pretty cool. anyways night! =]

phantastic91

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Now i'm convinced that there's a flaw in the 3d effect and it's what i posted on this thread. even nintendo's own software shows double images when its on a dark back ground.

when i use the 3d camera and look at a dark picture i press the home menu which pushes that dark image to the back of the top screen. then i go through the other apps like face raiders and mii makers, etc and they all have double images (there icons overlaps the dark image). i hope im making sense. googling this issue i see other people having the same problem too.

if its really just my 3ds then i will return it right away but i doubt it.

Im mainly just stating this out of frusturation because although the 3d effect is really cool....double images are extremely annoying and takes you out of the experience (and isn't 3d suppose to make gaming MORE immersive).

but so far....the majority of the double images i have experienced are dark background related. The latest culprit is the metroid prime puzzle piece.

edit: i think it mainly effects 3d objects that are bright on a dark background. i just got back from making a background as black as i can and for me...the blacker the background is the more intense the ghosting is. the face raiders icons has like three images now T_T

Seaking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was actually gonna make a thread about this, but seeing as there is one already i will post.

as far as i can tell, any dark background will have ghosting. in Pilotwings i am unable to play the night levels because the ghosting is so bad. during the day levels it is perfect, no ghosting and nothing is wrong.

i am 100% sure it has to do with dark back grounds, if that is the case...
frown.gif
will there be ghosting on OoT?

ccfreak2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seaking said:
i was actually gonna make a thread about this, but seeing as there is one already i will post.

as far as i can tell, any dark background will have ghosting. in Pilotwings i am unable to play the night levels because the ghosting is so bad. during the day levels it is perfect, no ghosting and nothing is wrong.

frown.gif
My theory is that the parallax barrier doesn't perfectly shield light, so ghosting occurs to some extent in all conditions. Since the effect is additive (i.e. the resulting color from any given area is always at least as bright as the sum of the sources), it's not perceived in scenes that are predominantly bright. In dark or black scenes, the light bleeding from an area lit in one eye but not another becomes more noticeable. This makes it a hardware issue, and thus independent of -any- software running on the 3DS.

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
I thought you were talking about the weird effect of setting off crosswalk alarms and other strange things that only happen when carrying around your 3ds.
Every crosswalk that is newer here in toronto goes off. I'll be standing there and beep beep beep from tha dang crosswalk no one around but me no one touched the thing to crosswalk (its 3a.m.) and yet "you may now cross..." over and over.... ghostly like.
Then in the sears the alarms go off whenever I go in or out (I'm not stealing either). without the 3ds I am fine.

Gullwing

homo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get ghosting too and especially with dark enviroments in games... I actually tested closing one of my eyes and the ghosting appears only on one eye. So let's say I'm playing Pilotwings, red ballons in the night are WAY ghosting, I close my left eye, and my right one sees the image finely, I close my right eye and my left one sees both the original balloon and the ghosted one... Strange!

phantastic91

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
heartgold said:
Yah I get that in Samurai warriors during in-game night fights, it's really annoying.
Yup more proof again. i get them too in the same game at night. morning is usually perfect. night, not so much. Annoying? YES

Gullwing said:
I get ghosting too and especially with dark enviroments in games... I actually tested closing one of my eyes and the ghosting appears only on one eye. So let's say I'm playing Pilotwings, red ballons in the night are WAY ghosting, I close my left eye, and my right one sees the image finely, I close my right eye and my left one sees both the original balloon and the ghosted one... Strange!

More proof of ghosting. dark background + bright 3d=no.

rastsan said:
I thought you were talking about the weird effect of setting off crosswalk alarms and other strange things that only happen when carrying around your 3ds.
Every crosswalk that is newer here in toronto goes off. I'll be standing there and beep beep beep from tha dang crosswalk no one around but me no one touched the thing to crosswalk (its 3a.m.) and yet "you may now cross..." over and over.... ghostly like.
Then in the sears the alarms go off whenever I go in or out (I'm not stealing either). without the 3ds I am fine.
lol what...

QUOTE(Pong20302000 @ May 25 2011, 09:09 AM) 3DS ghosting for me occurs when getting to much light behind me
like if you sit with your back to window

apart from that i get no ghosting

Im so confused by these comments. how can you get no ghosting. the 3ds, like 3dtvs aren't perfect (but at least i get less ghosting on my 3dtv). i wish you were here right now so i can just show you parts of a game where there are ghosting due to dark background and bright 3d object. i find it impossible to not get ghosting unless you don't play much 3ds games that runs into situations like these. but even the 3ds menu can get ghosting when you click the home menu in the middle a game and the dark background on top can cause ghosting for 3d objects. I'm confident that to every single person who claims that they don't experience ghosting, if they were in the same room with me ill show them that there is and it's noticeable. The 3d trailers had some major ghosting in games like super mario bros (the piano keys and the gears looked awful with the ghosting). this is an issue because its a flaw in the 3ds main feature and it interferes with the experience.

QUOTE(Seaking @ May 20 2011, 03:25 PM)

frown.gif

yes there is. i dont know how some people can claim there isn't unless the slider is very low (but that doesn't get rid of ghosting still---just reduces it).

anyways, i emailed nintendo awhile ago and they just said that they send my email to the team that works on these things. the person probably didn't understand what i was saying since she just stated that maybe my 3ds was broken.

edit: oh yea, and even a fellow gbatemper who uploads the wii/gc 3ds 3d screen shots said there was ghosting and he does his best to reduce it but its still there on some shots (one shot with the last story and their was a dark background and the brighter sword and ghosting)

Decooter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
definitely get noticeable ghosting in OOT3D when there's a dark background, like when link walks through the logs in lost forest.

It's a flaw with the 3D effect and the hardware, bright objects set on a dark background will ghost, no matter how you adjust the viewing angle.

They'll probably improve upon this with the first hardware revision (3DSlite etc etc)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality