Hardware 3DS Games Could Look Better If They Ditch The 3D

D

Deleted-188346

If they made the 3DS so that the graphics improve when the 3D slider has disabled the 3D, it would make games far more time consuming to create. They would need to make twice as many textures (the high-detail non-3D textures, and the lower-detail 3D textures), not to mention it would be difficult to make the shift between textures a smooth one. Additionally, the market for the powerhouse handhand lies solely with the PSP, and sales have shown that there is far more profit to be seen in innovative "out there" products.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Puppy_Washer said:
If they made the 3DS so that the graphics improve when the 3D slider has disabled the 3D, it would make games far more time consuming to create.
That's why the article said the developers will have to choose between 3D effects and better graphics when creating a game. Making both and letting the buyers decide what they will use would take too much work. So the developers will have to decide whether they want 3D effects or spectacular graphics in 2D, and what their target audience is more likely to prefer.

But I think most games will opt for the 3D.

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah i think most developer will opt for 3d, its only games were they really wanna show off that might have 2d parts, i'm sure the developers could turn off 3d temporarily without moving the slider and i don't think they need to make higher res textures, the idea is that they could have more characters on-screen or do amazing special effects that wouldn't be possible if rendering in 3d but then turn 3d back on afterwards, there is no reason the can't do this unless the diffence between 2d and 3d is too noticeable and distracting?

but the point thats really gotten to me is when dryo said "no it wont" he has some argument there and i think he might be right

BigBadBoss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
The increased processing power is for 3D games because displaying two things at once is processor-intensive. For 2D games, wouldn't we be able to dedicate all the processing power to the game allowing to the game to have better graphics.
Or does the game depend on the GPU to render better graphics.

This doesn't come as much of a surprise. I mean the 3DS definitely has more powerful processing power and graphics. I mean just look at the current screenshots of the games. They are pretty awesome. It even looks like it can compete with the PS2 and it's a friggin handheld.

Very much looking forward to the 3DS when it comes out.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Puppy_Washer said:
They would need to make twice as many textures (the high-detail non-3D textures, and the lower-detail 3D textures), not to mention it would be difficult to make the shift between textures a smooth one.

You're making it sound like in order to create the 3D effect, the video memory is split in half, and assets are duplicated to each. That hasn't been a case with any other 3d-capable device (though there aren't that many), and it certainly isn't the case with the 3DS. It's basically rendering the scene twice from 2 slightly different perspectives using the same assets. If the DS was any indication, only the textures are stored in video memory, not the models, and the textures can be used on any number of polys that reference to them with negligible load vs solid color polys.

By not using the 3D effect, the amount of space for textures won't change, but (in a sense) the number of polys can be increased from the work load of 2 renderings mixed into one.

BigBadBoss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is certainly going to be interesting! I'm looking forward to how game developers can take advantage of the power of this little 3DS baby!

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nintendo will push this 3D shit just like they pushed touch control on the DS. It tooks us two years to get games that actually used touch only when NECESSARY, instead of us being forced to handle shitty touch movements and scratch that flimsy little low-quality screen. Developers have confirmed over and over that Nintendo was incredibly persistent on that.

In other words, this will probably happen, but farther down the road, when the gimmick is dead (3D gaming is the biggest fucking gimmick ever) and they need to compete with Sony's next portable machine.

sorrycostello said:
I'd say 3D makes it look better than a higher polygon count, but when/if the 3DS gets hacked emulators could utilize all the processing power
smile.gif
That is incorrect on so many levels.......

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: