3DS game jam?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by MarcusD, Aug 4, 2016.

?

Would you join this contest?

Poll closed Aug 9, 2016.
  1. Yes, as a programmer

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. I would like seeing programmers participating

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. No, I don't think it's worth the effort

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. This is a stupid idea ¬_¬

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MarcusD
    OP

MarcusD nobody's hero

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    a pixel between life and death
    I remember once participating in a ComputerCraft programming contest, and it was pretty good! Why not have the same for the 3DS?

(very crude) example

Who likes the idea? :D

(for those who are wondering what's the prize: most possibly fame if you post your finished game in the homebrew section :P)

Last edited by MarcusD, Aug 4, 2016
    Wolfvak likes this.
  2. Wolfvak

Wolfvak *yawn*

Oct 25, 2015
    Uruguay
    I'd rather participate on a gamebutter but this is really nice.
    Question: does it need to be a completely new idea or can it be a ripoff (sorry, "port") of another game? I'm thinking of stuff like checkers and tic tac toe here.
    Games simple enough to program, but fun and replayable

3. MarcusD
    OP

MarcusD nobody's hero

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    This is a very good question! :unsure:

I think it should be like, that if the game is simple, it must NOT be ported, or copied from another game. If it's somewhat complex, you'll be allowed to copy SOME stuff from other games, but you'll be never allowed to fully copy, or port another game, otherwise there would be no point to this contest. This isn't a porting/recreating contest, but game MAKING contest :P
    Also, there's a reason why I said "crude" example, because it doesn't include some essential stuff, like explicitly saying the paragraph I just said above.

4. Wolfvak

Wolfvak *yawn*

Oct 25, 2015
    Uruguay
    Alright, so pong is already out :S

But what I meant is not about copying code (although it's a good thing that it's been cleared up). I meant implementing a real world board game with no previous existing code, or at least without using it.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  5. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    I like the idea of a contest, there were a certain number of those in the calculator community and I always joined when I could and when the subject fit me :)

Though I'd say that the less requirements you have, the more entries you'll be likely to get. For example, I don't like the "touch controls" requirement :P
    Having requirements is great to have coherent stuff to judge, but if the only prize is fame, probably no one cares even if judging is random ;)

6. MarcusD
    OP

MarcusD nobody's hero

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Hmm... I think I should clear up what is possible, and what is not, but it's too TL;DR material :(

That was just an example :P A *crude*exmple... Also, I can't think of any prize, and I'm too poor to even have a prize, so only fame is possible :P Also, I'm not judging randomly :<