Homebrew 3ds for emulation only

Jay4556

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking to get a 3Ds xl and hack it mainly to be able to play other games via emulator from gameboy,snes, etc. id also like to have all the 3ds games on there as well. Would I need to go the cfw route or Homebrew?

I’m not fully sure the difference but I know the cfw is a more in depth full firmware hack and Homebrew may just be installing one piece of software? Thanks!

Jay4556

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking to get a 3Ds xl and hack it mainly to be able to play other games via emulator from gameboy,snes, etc. id also like to have all the 3ds games on there as well. Would I need to go the cfw route or Homebrew?

I’m not fully sure the difference but I know the cfw is a more in depth full firmware hack and Homebrew may just be installing one piece of software? Thanks!

Also, can. Missed 3ds okay gameboy advance sp games?

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just follow the 3ds hack guide and install CFW, its easy and safe these days.

I also have to say that a Vita is a much nicer as a pure emulation machine, but its obviously not going to run 3/DS games.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Go with CFW. It's easy and safe as long as you follow 3ds.hacks.guide. Homebrew is like stopping half way on the cfw guide, but it's better to finish the guide when you've first started it.
Also, can. Missed 3ds okay gameboy advance sp games?
Not sure what you're saying there.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Technically you CAN run homebrew without CFW simply using entry-point hacks to temporarily enable homebrew (I mention this to help clarify the jargon.) But you want CFW to enable all of what you desire for 3ds.

Jay4556

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go with CFW. It's easy and safe as long as you follow 3ds.hacks.guide. Homebrew is like stopping half way on the cfw guide, but it's better to finish the guide when you've first started it.

Not sure what you're saying there.
scusi! volevo dire, can the 3ds emulate gameboy advance games? i wasnt sure if it was powerful enough

Reactions: Zense

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
scusi! volevo dire, can the 3ds emulate gameboy advance games? i wasnt sure if it was powerful enough
Tranquillo. Yes, well it doesn't need to emulate since it has native GBA hardware inside. Think of it as backwards compatible, so more or less 100% compatibility, unless you want to use hacked roms.

There's injection of GBA Virtual Console (VC) games. This is more or less 100% perfect.

There's also gbarunner2 which comes with twilightmenu++ which is continuously improving. It works in a similar way to the GBA VC. Many games play fluently with minor bugs and it has promising features like link cable multiplayer, borders, in game menu, gyro (for wario ware) and other stuff.

If not there's actually an emulator too called mGBA which mostly runs things fullspeed from what I hear. You will be able to use save states with this one plus some romhacks will probably work. For games that don't run full speed you'll probably have to use frameskip.

Last edited by Zense,
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated