Hacking 3DS Flashcarts - News, Updates, and Support Thread

RowanDDR

SNES Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
Uhm quick question, just got my gateway and done everything as the guide says but when i insert blue card into my 3ds nothing happens, system doesn't recognize the blue card.. Does that mean it's faulty or am i missing something?

What version is your 3DS firmware?

Heien

Trophies
XP
Country
4.4. Tested with my old r4i gold and micro SD works with that so i installed the installer with that. Now i'm enjoying MK7 :lol:

derrace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
It's simple:

1), hold L in nintendo profile to go to GateWay GUI Mode (the menu)
2), Go right and click on the backup function
3), a nand file will be placed on your large-sized DS card at the side of the DS
4), back it up, multiple times if needed. (the nand file (system file) is unique per system).
5), Back up everything if needed on the DS card to be safe.
6), Go back to the GUI mode of the Gateway, and use the format function, rather than the backup.
7), Once done, reboot the 3DS and go in to Gateway mode. Go to system settings and you'll see "GW3D" at the DS version number.

From there, you can use the system settings to set up the WiFi / Internet connection settings in order to update the DS's firmware.. BUT REMEMBER, ONLY UPDATE THE FIRMWARE WHEN YOU ARE IN GATEWAY MODE (GW3D) before the version number!

In my opinion, I'd wait until GW 2.0 final has been released. Or at least 2.0 Beta 2 for firmware 7.0 support.

As I've seen in a few suggestion threads, move around the main icons when you boot up the DS in both DS & Gateway mode to distinguish 3DS mode and gateway mode. Eg, put the game icon at the first place where in the gateway mode you can put the game icon as last.

Also recommended removing wifi on the main 3DS mode.

Cheers for that Skyrider.

With regards to step 3), is it ok to use my existing SD card? Do I need to backup existing files / format the card prior to performing this step?
Step 6), Is there a reason to format the SD card? What of my pics/files which were in the SD card; I will copy them to my comp, but aren't the .SAV saved in the SD card? Wouldn't I need to copy this back?

Step 7), I would only need to "update" my emunand once per desired firmware update ya? I.e. if I power down, and then use it on a separate occasion, I shouldn't need to repeat these steps (1-7) ya?

Will give this a go when I finish Zelda, or when I run a game that requires a firmware higher than my current.

He wanted to know how he can run a game that requires 4.5 when he is only on 4.4

The correct answer to this is "Don't do anything. Gateway does version spoofing and if the ROM requires 4.5 and the machine is only 4.4 it should run without any problems."

The correct answer to this is not "update the EmuNAND". While updating that won't hurt him (unless he messes up and updates the real one which certainly would hurt him), it won't make any difference for his question either.

Ok, I am getting a bit confused here. If I am on 4.4, can I spoof using Gateway to run games requiring 4.5? Is this done without me requiring me to dump/update EmuNAND? i.e just copy game into microSD and just run? Wouldn't it prompt me to update because I am still on 4.4? Or does Gateway spoof it to 4.5 automatically?

Thanks again.

As for the suggestion of going into the GUI and then loading the gateway loader from there to solve the grey scanline stuck issue:

It worked for a bit, and just today, I had to hard power it down twice. Seems random if you ask me. But I haven't had any save issues since, so I will keep on loading via the GUI

BigGamerz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally ordered the gateway card and there are a lot of questions that I can't seem to find currently (probably because most of it's in the manual I have yet to recieve) but an early start never hurt.

Right now my 3ds xl is 4.4 with the wireless turned off and the no internet setup and no agreements agreed.

What is the first thing I should do to be safe in case it might ever update?

The first post mentions to backup the system nand by going to the gateway menu. How do you go to the gateway menu?

Also if it does accidentally update, what are the steps to restore it if I have it backed up?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
1. you will have to install the DS exploit (with the DS card).
2. Then to launch Gateway, you need the launcher.dat file on your SD card, and to go settings > other setting > profile > NDS Profile
it will launch the Gateway automatically.

If you want to enter into the menu, you press L while launching the NDS profile, and it will display a menu with theses options :

Gateway : default mode (like if you didn't press L)
Gateway Classic : Enable the use of Retail game card instead of ROM (useful only if you need to play Retail game requiring a newer System version)
Backup NAND : make a dump of your NAND to SD card : nand.bin
Prepare EmuNAND : format your SD card (erase all files!), and make a hidden copy of your NAND.

If the EmuNAND hidden copy is present on your SD card, Gateway will always load it instead of using your RealNAND.

check the FAQ on Wiki, it should answer some (lot of) your questions:
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_hacking_faq

dagro

Trophies
XP
Country
Finally ordered the gateway card and there are a lot of questions that I can't seem to find currently (probably because most of it's in the manual I have yet to recieve) but an early start never hurt.

Right now my 3ds xl is 4.4 with the wireless turned off and the no internet setup and no agreements agreed.

What is the first thing I should do to be safe in case it might ever update?

The first post mentions to backup the system nand by going to the gateway menu. How do you go to the gateway menu?

Also if it does accidentally update, what are the steps to restore it if I have it backed up?
Manual is on their official site don't be lazy find it yourself you get nothing with the delivery just two cards.
all your questions are answered, but if you really need some tips: parental control, don't turn on wifi not until you can emunand.
Read all the post here pretty sure 10% atleast mention how to go to menu. You can restore if you have backup requires you to soldier 4 wires (easy on XL)

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I am getting a bit confused here. If I am on 4.4, can I spoof using Gateway to run games requiring 4.5? Is this done without me requiring me to dump/update EmuNAND? i.e just copy game into microSD and just run? Wouldn't it prompt me to update because I am still on 4.4? Or does Gateway spoof it to 4.5 automatically?

Gateway should spoof it automatically.

brunno159

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just got an email response from gateway saying they'll release the update in the next 48h and it'll be 7.1 compatible.

Reactions: tyons

salvatore

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hi
i have had this e-mail from GT team, i wrote them about new card and the next FW "my ask is, can u please public a video with a multiroom woorking?"
this is the reply
MT-Card is just a new clone from the clone makers (R4i etc.), same team. Just
as they can't update their old card, they make a new one under a different name
as they know old customers will be upset to know they have been scammed. With a
new name, they hope to scam more users.

Our firmware is just a few days away, so we won't release video, it is not
needed, people can enjoy all the features before 2014 anyway.

mailto:[email protected]

They are doing a good woork, in next FW (before 2014) we willl have multiroom too :D

Reactions: tyons

Punkrox

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

How could the GT team know this about the "R4i gold 3ds" team.
Both cards are nearly identical from a hardware perspective no?

Smells like a load of BS.

pedreters2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
How could the GT team know this about the "R4i gold 3ds" team.
Both cards are nearly identical from a hardware perspective no?

Smells like a load of BS.

Good thing is, we will know if it's BS or not soon enough. But honestly, what's the point of lying if everyone will find out in a week?

tranfeer

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
hi
i have had this e-mail from GT team, i wrote them about new card and the next FW "my ask is, can u please public a video with a multiroom woorking?"
this is the reply

Our firmware is just a few days away, so we won't release video, it is not
needed, people can enjoy all the features before 2014 anyway.

mailto:[email protected]
They are doing a good woork, in next FW (before 2014) we willl have multiroom too :D

As a flashcard manufacturer, it's really dogmatic to make such a declaration before this card comes out.
Everybody almost knows nothing more about it except a video released by the website.
It's really shabby to slander the competitor by this way.

Punkrox

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Good thing is, we will know if it's BS or not soon enough. But honestly, what's the point of lying if everyone will find out in a week?

You mean we will find out if or when the r4i team releases multirom support on their existing card.. Are you implying this is expected next week or is that strictly from the GW team?

I'm kinda new to the 3ds world and I'm psyched that I found a v4.4. Just waiting for the R4i to come in.
I'm unfazed that it's a clone team, I went for price since there will obviously be better cards released in the years to come. Before commenting on this last statement think what the primary use of these flashcards is for...

tranfeer

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I made a test with this board.
gw1.jpg

That's the result:
gw2.jpg

Let's wait and see how to revamp of the hardware's internal firmware.

pedreters2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You mean we will find out if or when the r4i team releases multirom support on their existing card.. Are you implying this is expected next week or is that strictly from the GW team?

I'm kinda new to the 3ds world and I'm psyched that I found a v4.4. Just waiting for the R4i to come in.
I'm unfazed that it's a clone team, I went for price since there will obviously be better cards released in the years to come. Before commenting on this last statement think what the primary use of these flashcards is for...

Non-GW teams have released their updates soon after GW did in the past, so if they do this time too, we will know GW team were BS us. If they don't then we will know it was true. I guess there's no point in discussing this, time will tell.

LurkerA

㊣New3DS
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a flashcard manufacturer, it's really dogmatic to make such a declaration before this card comes out.
Everybody almost knows nothing more about it except a video released by the website.
It's really shabby to slander the competitor by this way.

It's funny, GW team always released this kind of rumor by someone's replied email(... "can't update their old card, they make a new one under a different name" ....blablabla), slandered the other team first so that they can find an excuse do that thing later...

crazyace2011

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is it safe to use the r4i firmware from their website to update the blue gateway card I mean they are the same card so I didn't know if that would cause issues. or will gateway release their own firmware update.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries