Hacking 3DS Flashcarts - News, Updates, and Support Thread

-Dazed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Official way worked! Apparently GW mode loads much slower under EmuNand than normal which threw me off a fair bit. Thanks for the help guys! Off to enjoy my retail Pkmn Y and Phoenix Wright :yaysp:

edit: also leaving settings after checking firmware seems to replace DS to normal system nand and it still can occasionally freeze.

Keoje

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I updated to v6.3 in emuNAND and only have connection setup there. I deleted the systemNAND connection beforehand. Have been DLing a few demos / updates and decided to check just in case...I don't know when but my systemNAND has wifi details set up again? Any idea how this happened? Luckily it's still v4.3 (for now :) )

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
edit: also leaving settings after checking firmware seems to replace DS to normal system nand and it still can occasionally freeze.

Yeah this is something inherent to the 3DS. Leaving the settings menu forces it to do a soft reset which drops back into the SystemNAND. This is why you want to be VERY CAREFUL when messing with the two... especially when trying to update your EmuNAND.

innercy

Trophies
XP
Country
Someone help me out here
I updated my emunand and have it running without any changes to realnand. I copied the saves etc once I had it updates so I can continue from where I left off in my games. The problem is I can run rune factory fine and continue but when I run bravely default it creates a new save?

same as me. i suspect it has something to do with new games (>4.5)

dagro

Trophies
XP
Country
same as me. i suspect it has something to do with new games (>4.5)
well that sucks once the new save is created it overwrites my old save and I can play fine from then on. Just lost alot of gameplay and cba to redo it again. If someone has bravely save on emunand any kind send me plz.

innercy

Trophies
XP
Country
well that sucks once the new save is created it overwrites my old save and I can play fine from then on. Just lost alot of gameplay and cba to redo it again. If someone has bravely save on emunand any kind send me plz.

i have it but i save earlier with less than 1 hour gameplay :D.

RJ Sly 95

Trophies
XP
Country
Today I'm going to buy a 3DS with 4.1 firmware. What do you suggest? Should I buy a gateway/other flashcard, taking the risk that it might become useless in the near future?

orcid

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Got my gateway today. Everything is working fine including emunand, but I can't save. I am trying to play paper mario. When I press the home button and close the game, the message "software is closing" (I don't know the exact words on an english ds) appears and nothing else happens. The 3Ds is stuck on this screen. I waited up to 30 minutes. Only a hard reset helps. I played till the first save point and tried saving with the gateway several times. Maybe someone can help me?!

aiat_gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
Got my gateway today. Everything is working fine including emunand, but I can't save. I am trying to play paper mario. When I press the home button and close the game, the message "software is closing" (I don't know the exact words on an english ds) appears and nothing else happens. The 3Ds is stuck on this screen. I waited up to 30 minutes. Only a hard reset helps. I played till the first save point and tried saving with the gateway several times. Maybe someone can help me?!

Huh, I have this problem every once in a while. When you press home, wait about 30 seconds and then press x and a.

Reactions: B4N5H33 and orcid

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I started a FAQ for 3DS hacking, and though it would be better to put it on Wiki (because I can't maintain it alone).

It's still the first draft, there probably miss a lot of informations and question, but if you know more questions (and answers), please contribute to that page.
Also, try to redirect new users to this page, it will prevent having 40 threads for the same things, and will prevent you answering 40 times the same thing. I'm sure you'll be thankful to have a single place with all the answers :P

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_hacking_faq

If possible, also link to GBATemp's thread/user's posts for sources and informations.

Edit:

Does the 3DS exploit have a name?
The DS profile vulnerability is the "NVRAM exploit", what about the 3DS Kernel mode?

Edit2:
Yeah, I did a lot of spelling/typography/grammar mistakes, sorry. I wrote it quickly and it's unfinished.

Reactions: n1ghty and Ryukouki

orcid

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Huh, I have this problem every once in a while. When you press home, wait about 30 seconds and then press x and a.
Thanks a lot. This worked. :yaysp:
It seems that the gateway writes the save file directly after pressing home and you are not allowed to press before it has finished. I pressed x too fast. (I thaught it saves after pressing x ...)

fiber0311

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello guys. I'm not sure it's the right place to post my question, but it's better than creating a new thread and cluttering the main page...

I've just ordered a Gateway card and I'm at a bit of a loss regarding sd/micro sd cards. Namely how many I "need".

If I understand correctly, I need :
- a "small" (1-2GB) micro-sd to use with the blue card, seing as it can play regular DS games
- a "large" (4-16GB) micro-sd to use in the red card, seing as it's where I'll put 3DS Roms and, hopefuly, we'll be able to put several games on a single micro-sd in future fw releases
- a "large" (4-16GB) regular SD card to put in the 3DS, for saves and/or Emunand ?

I'm not sure about the regular SD card. The one I use right now is the one with MH3U that I got when I bought the console in January. I don't really want to mess with it and risk losing my game and my 300h+ save...

Thanks for your help :)

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello guys. I'm not sure it's the right place to post my question, but it's better than creating a new thread and cluttering the main page...

I've just ordered a Gateway card and I'm at a bit of a loss regarding sd/micro sd cards. Namely how many I "need".

- a "small" (1-2GB) micro-sd to use with the blue card, seing as it can play regular DS games
- a "large" (4-16GB) micro-sd to use in the red card, seing as it's where I'll put 3DS Roms and, hopefuly, we'll be able to put several games on a single micro-sd in future fw releases
- a "large" (4-16GB) regular SD card to put in the 3DS, for saves and/or Emunand ?

I'm not sure about the regular SD card. The one I use right now is the one with MH3U that I got when I bought the console in January. I don't really want to mess with it and risk losing my game and my 300h+ save...

You're correct on all points. I still have my standard default big SD card in my 3DS and it has had no issues.

dagro

Trophies
XP
Country

Use the SD card you get with 3DS for your needs (or get MicroSD with adapter ~4gb)
for games you need max 3.2gb space on MicroSD so again ~4gb
you don't need a separate small card just use the one you get for games to install exploit and reuse it.

Atm I have 4gb SD card
MicroSD
2x 4gb
1x 8gb
1x 32gb
(I didn't buy them just had them lying around the house from phones etc)

EDIT: I don't suggest you buy like 10 4gb cards just get 2-3 seeing as multirom will come out so a big card would be useful then until then stick with 4gb if you can't afford higher.

fiber0311

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neat, thanks a lot for the answers. I guess lurking for weeks and reading about the GW card before buying paid off :P

I have a 2GB micro-sd card lying around, and I think a 16GB in my current DS flashcard. I'll just need to find a regular SD at around 4GB, shouldn't be hard to find...

Thanks again for the fast answers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I heard regular show is back