Hacking 3DS Flashcart

bsarmini

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so we may all have heard of the 3DS that is the next in the Nintendo franchise. And if anyone has seen the videos of the games for it then you can probably tell they are going to be a lot of gigs. That and Nintendo may be patching flashcarts for it. Does anyone know if it is possible to have flashcarts for it. Yes I know it didn't come out yet but I was wondering if anyone knew

C175R

GBAtemp Pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't know.
but i know someone who knows.
you can go ask to the people who are making the 3DS right now.
I'm pretty sure they'll know how to hack it and everything.
smileipb2.png

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
C175R said:
I don't know.
but i know someone who knows.
you can go ask to the people who are making the 3DS right now.
I'm pretty sure they'll know how to hack it and everything.
smileipb2.png

If they knew that, they wouldn't just leave a hole in security...

iggloovortex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the intent is to not leave any holes, nintendo whole heartedly believes that it will be impossible to hack the 3ds. and who knows? they may be right, or at the very least it will be unhackable for a year or so

BedtimeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
why are people so hung up on the concept of a flashcart for 3ds?? just because it was that easy with the ds doesn't mean it will be the same for 3ds. if i'm correct, the original ds just ran whatever code was on whatever cart you put int here, hence flashcarts, but with the wii, it has it's own firmware with security measures and ways to check that the cart has a signature from nintendo. the same goes for the dsi. the 3ds will be like the psp, in that you need a custom firmware for piracy, or like the wii in that you will have to mess around with it's system files in order to get it to run unsigned code.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And you are wrong.

DS games arm 9 bins are all encrypted, but a hole in the original DS' firmware allowed for the dumping of the public encryption key.

Before that, it was necessary to use a pass through with an original DS game. The pass-through then redirected read commands from the slot-1 to the slot-2 (gba).

Later it was possible to overwrite the DS firmware to automatically redirect straight to GBA... Only after about a year was the encryption finally dumped and cards could be used in Slot-1 with unmodified hardware.

The only difference is that DSi and 3DS will have updatable firmware so it'll be a game of catchup... just like PSP.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so it's possible that, if and when this system is hacked, a flashcart will not be needed for the running of roms and the like.

The only problems are that it will be some time before the hacking takes place, and the firmware will be updated via Wi-Fi.

Kaero

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I personally think the flashcards will be memory cards you'll use for the VC and stuff. It'll take some time though. There's that statement from the DSTWO team that their flashcard will work instantly thanks to the card's CPU, but w/e.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kaero said:
I personally think the flashcards will be memory cards you'll use for the VC and stuff. It'll take some time though. There's that statement from the DSTWO team that their flashcard will work instantly thanks to the card's CPU, but w/e.
They said that the cart would work with the 3DS instantly?

Kaero

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well if I remember correctly. Might want to check that, though. I remember it being posted on GBATemp's frontpage sometime ago.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Costello said:
  • first, and this is good news for all supercard dstwo owners, the supercard team is extremely confident that their cart will work on the nintendo 3ds-- in ds mode, that is. they believe that even though the 3ds will feature new anti-piracy protection mechanisms, the possibilities offered by the scdstwo's embedded cpu will allow them to find a workaround quickly, just like they did for the recent dsi 1.4.1 fix.

shadowsfm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm thinking some day we can run games on sd cards instead of needing to buy a flashcard adapter. and i'm going to keep my wifi switch on the off position. i'm sure roms will have its firmware installer removed and ap removed

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CrimzonEyed said:
I hope there won't be a flashcart for 3DS that can play roms. (only homebrews maybe)
Fix'd

Why is that? Do you really think that flashcart companies can make profits if they disabled roms loading?

Rest assured there will be a 3DS flashcart. It is just a matter of time.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Ya sure 'bout that trumpet? You seem to assume that any cartridge hacked to work on there will load ROMs, and the only reason a homebrew only cart would arise is because the devs crippled it. What if the ROM files themselves are somehow encrypted? There could be many reasons why ROM loading might not work work.

I'll leave your nonsensical "Fix'd" alone.

Also edit:
QUOTE said:
Rest assured there will be a 3DS flashcart. It is just a matter of time.
Uh huh. Source pl0x. I'm sure it'll be hacked at one point, but how do you know it'll be a flashcart? You seen the PSP recently?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
Uh huh. Source pl0x. I'm sure it'll be hacked at one point, but how do you know it'll be a flashcart? You seen the PSP recently?
I don't have source on my comment, it is more of some guess works.

First, PSP is using UMD, which is optical storage media. It is not economical to produce blank UMD and let people burn it (one time burn BTW). In fact doing so will only get Sony pissed and went after them. That is why hacker went with memory card approach.

Second, 3DS will feature 3DS, DSi and possibly DS mode depending on the game. Thing is that SD card slot is only accessible in DSi or 3DS mode. No one has fully cracked DSi mode yet, and we don't even know how 3DS game will run. Unless Nintendo excludes DS mode in 3DS (which is possible, since old DS game can run in DSi mode), flashcart will continue to exist until DSi mode or 3DS mode is cracked, allowing SD card slot access.

Third, I'm confused by your statement.

QUOTEYou seem to assume that any cartridge hacked to work on there will load ROMs, and the only reason a homebrew only cart would arise is because the devs crippled it. What if the ROM files themselves are somehow encrypted? There could be many reasons why ROM loading might not work work.

My previous post meant that if there is a group of people producing flashcart, it is unreasonable to exclude ROM loading. Doing so will eliminate a lot of interested buyers. You want more people to buy stuff, not less. You seem to interpret my post as technical possibility.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: