Not open for further replies.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Why is there all this talk of old PS3 eboots and shit instead of what the topic is about? Who gives a shit about PS3 stuff, there's a PS3 section where you guys can talk about that shit.
Because people are thinking of the possibility of using those methods on a 3ds.
Yup, any day now there is going to be a 3DS dongle released that will plug into the 3DS's USB port and allow you to play specially hacked PS3 EBOOTs, naturally leading to 3DS homebrew...

On a serious note, the topic has gone off topic because there is nothing of note to discuss "on topic" and people started talking about PS3/PSP keys etc.

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Why is there all this talk of old PS3 eboots and shit instead of what the topic is about? Who gives a shit about PS3 stuff, there's a PS3 section where you guys can talk about that shit.
Because people are thinking of the possibility of using those methods on a 3ds.
Yup, any day now there is going to be a 3DS dongle released that will plug into the 3DS's USB port and allow you to play specially hacked PS3 EBOOTs, naturally leading to 3DS homebrew...

On a serious note, the topic has gone off topic because there is nothing of note to discuss "on topic" and people started talking about PS3/PSP keys etc.
I thought he was being sarcastic, so i kept going with it, my bad.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Like he said, there's nothing to talk about 3DS. and PS3/PSP encryption was related to the way the 3DS encrypt/sign things.
I can move all PS3 talks to a new "TB hack" topic, we don't have one and it's interesting. (personally more interesting and more concrete than 3DS firmware supposedly decrypted, but accessible to only one person)

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Like he said, there's nothing to talk about 3DS. and PS3/PSP encryption was related to the way the 3DS encrypt/sign things.
I can move all PS3 talks to a new "TB hack" topic, we don't have one and it's interesting. (personally more interesting and more concrete than 3DS firmware supposedly decrypted, but accessible to only one person)
For the record, neimod does have access to the decrypted firmware, but now how people think; he doesn't have the common key, but he can use hardware to decrypt stuff for him. Nothing in the slightest bit useful to anyone other than him and a few others that he has probably already shared stuff with, at the very least he's probably shared any info required to replicate his work. Others to whom it is useful could probably figure it out themselves anyway.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, 'cause we all know that the 3DS and PS3 have absolutely no technology or security methods in common whatsoever.

Oh wait.

The 3DS uses RSA for games and AES for the Nand. The PS3 used uncorrectly implemented ECDSA. So you are right, they do "have absolutely no technology or security methods in common whatsoever".
RSA and AES, in contrast to ECDSA, are idiot proof.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
How do you get homebrew again then?
1 - The encryption key to officially sign content. Like never happens.
2 - Take advantage of a bug to make the system think that content is signed when it's not (like for the Wii).
3 - Some sort of exploit or system mod that skips the whole signature check entirely (hacked system, custom firmware, stuff like that).

JamesWames

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
How do you get homebrew again then?
1 - The encryption key to officially sign content. Like never happens.
2 - Take advantage of a bug to make the system think that content is signed when it's not (like for the Wii).
3 - Some sort of exploit or system mod that skips the whole signature check entirely (hacked system, custom firmware, stuff like that).

K thanks. Sounds like its a long way off then.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
What does the common key do and why does everyone even know it exists?
http://hackmii.com/2008/04/keys-keys-keys/

And people know it exists because people won't shut up about it because they don't know exactly what it does, only they know it's somehow remotely linked to them being able to play free games, so they get all excited about it and bring it up randomly, like you just saw.

Reactions: 5 people

JamesWames

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Honestly, Id just like to play GBA games, and like everyone else has said, imports on my 3DS. I wont download 3DS Roms though because a. I wouldn't have the SD card space to hold them and b. I actually do want to support Nintendo and buy their games. I personally think every console should have an app store like Android Market nowadays, with emulators and everything.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, Id just like to play GBA games, and like everyone else has said, imports on my 3DS. I wont download 3DS Roms though because a. I wouldn't have the SD card space to hold them and b. I actually do want to support Nintendo and buy their games. I personally think every console should have an app store like Android Market nowadays, with emulators and everything.
Then they couldn't make money off the games still. That's why there's Virtual Console, so they can make money off each game put there, like they'd normally make money with sales (per-game).

The issue with VC is often the limited availability.

JamesWames

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Well, seeing as some old Gameboy games are like 4-5 a pop on the eshop, I wouldn't say I'm happy with their pricing. The games without a manual and box are only worth like a dollar each anyway lol. Not saying I'm a big Rom downloader, but can understand why some people are interested.

Plus they should sell the emulator and make money that way instead of the extortionate rates the eshop charges. Part of the reason retro gaming is so popular is BECAUSE of emulators.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually cant wait, I would love to work on CFW and Homebrew when it gets hacked. While this looks neat I have a few doubts about neimod actually finding out something like this and then not sharing its methods or even offering a service for it. Plus its pretty useless for anything other then (correct me if I'm wrong) moddifing the applications and features already built into the 3DS. In other words, nothing a Action Replay or Gameshark couldn't normally do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr