Hacking 3DS - Emulators

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if anyone had tried running any of the emulators for the DS/DSi on the 3DS. I was hoping the 3DS might offer some performance boosts despite the fact the emulators would be running in DS/DSi mode.

I was specifically interested in MAME DS and neoDS

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mantis41 said:
I was wondering if anyone had tried running any of the emulators for the DS/DSi on the 3DS. I was hoping the 3DS might offer some performance boosts despite the fact the emulators would be running in DS/DSi mode.

This is a good question, since the 3DS emulates it, it has to be higher power than a regular DS.
Can someone try a SNES emulator for me too?
tongue.gif

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i am assuming that they had to limit it so it did not run games to fast.
does over clocking affect ds emulators?
i didnt think it did.
im sure its limited to the ds clock speed and im not sure if the 3ds emulates for ds games

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Xuphor said:
Mantis41 said:

This is a good question, since the 3DS emulates it, it has to be higher power than a regular DS.
Can someone try a SNES emulator for me too?
tongue.gif

The 3DS doesn't "emulate" it. The CPU is downclocked to match the specifications needed for DS games to operate properly, and other hardware set a certain way to match what DS games need, just like it's predecessors before them handled backwards compatibility. If it were actually emulating it, then the battery life would suffer just as badly when playing DS games as when playing 3DS games.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Mantis41 said:
This is completely ridiculous
wink.gif
It's like to expect that DS games will magically work in stereoscopic 3D, have texture filtering and shaders.

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:
Mantis41 said:
This is completely ridiculous
wink.gif
It's like to expect that DS games will magically work in stereoscopic 3D, have texture filtering and shaders.

It's completely different.
If the 3DS really does emulate any part of the DS, it HAS to be more powerful than the DS. If the homebrew emulator was programmed to just work as best as it can, it'll take full advantage of the 3DS's DS mode emulated speeds.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
I think what they meant was not "emulating" the DS, but the 3DS in DS mode "emulating" systems such as the NES, in the case of nesDS

And the answer to that is that they will perform the same as if you were running it on a DS, as the 3DS would be running in DS mode.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
that was the entire argument

the idea is that they were expecting a preformence to be better since they believe the 3ds emulates the ds games.

but the fact is that it does not as far as we know and the ds games would run like a ds game to prevent games running too fast

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mantis41 said:
Yes, But doesn't moonshell perform better on a DSi than it does on a DS?
not the way you think
moonshell in dsi mode runs better
not ds mode
there is no difference in moonshell preformance from a dstwo in a dsi and a dstwo in a lite

elenar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ZeroDeception said:
So are we saying that their is no difference at all in terms of frames per second on the 3DS...

DS mode on the 3ds isn't different from DS mode on the DS, Running anything intended for use on the DS in the 3DS will perform exactly as it would have on the DS. If it were any other way, backwards compatibility with DS titles on 3DS would be catch-as-catch-can, and not 100%.

The only difference between running any DS software - either homebrew or professional - on the DS and the 3DS is that it will be stretched to fit the larger resolution screen of the 3DS (unless, of course, you hold Start+Select while booting the software, in which case it will run in DS resolution on the 3DS screen).

If the iEvolution gets DSi mode working on 3DS (sadly not working yet, just had to reflash my bootstrap :| ) then DSi mode emulators should get that performance boost some DSi mode homebrew has (_if_ those emulators are designed for DSi mode, of course), but it shouldn't be any different than DSi mode on a DSi, or DSi game backwards compatibility would be touchy instead of perfect.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, hi