3DS Custom Code Execution?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Inuuto, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Gurjas

Gurjas Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2013
    Canada

Well not really I just really want to play imports have been dying to play bravely default for a year e.x troopers monster hunter 4 ace attorny 5 and ace attorny x proffesor layton

2. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    Well, in that case just using the Gateway card is probably your best bet. (Assuming you're on 4.5 or below)

3. DragonSky

DragonSky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 27, 2010
    Belgium
    They were probably using sort of scam email.
    Or mayby they are waiting if someone hacks 3ds.

But the notify me looks clearly spam.

4. Gurjas

Gurjas Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2013
    Canada
    Well i didnt buy a 3ds yet so when i do il probably get one during boxing day (Canadas black friday) and hope for a v4.5

5. Quicksilver88

Quicksilver88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 26, 2013
    United States
    Well now this is pretty exciting and if it is at all true then what it means is gateway will obviously be delivering us homebrew loaded from the red card, multirom menu, and other goodies in the not to distant future...

We do need to settle down as we aren't getting a CFW until the firware get decrypted which won't happen unless keys get leaked. In theory a upgraded CFW could be made much like the 3.55 ps3 or jtag x360 firmwares are made...which is they launch off the exploited firmware and then kind of basterdize in the newer firmware....still need a decrypted dump or keys to get to that.

I doubt you will see catridge roms running from the 3DS SD card any time soon as it seems like that would take a little more work, but maybe this will lead to downloaded eShop stuff running from the SD slot at some point....

My hope is if this is real these guys fed this stuff back to gateway because maybe that can help speed along them implementing more features. Even if they still want/need to run raw images from the red card maybe they could make a multi-rom creation tool with a little simple menu that simply pastes together the menu app and whatever roms you pick and then make a raw file that you write with winimage....sort of like the old multi-iso tool for GC did.

6. Quicksilver88

Jan 26, 2013
    United States
    Try to find one with a 2012 copyright on the box and it will have to be 4.5 or below....even most of them put out thru may of 2013 would be 4.5....might have a hard time if you are waiting until November but try going to a store that doesn't move a lot of stock and that will be your best bet to find and older one.

7. Gurjas

Gurjas Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2013
    Canada
    Well i might just go to the local drug store nobody buys games there since boxing day is the biggest sale week of canada and theres going to be hundreds of hundreds of people at my best buy

8. Gurjas

Gurjas Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2013
    Canada
    Btw to most people it may be hard to get to best buy at december 26 in my igloo

zfreeman likes this.
  9. Quicksilver88

Jan 26, 2013
    United States
    Wow they sell games at the local drug store....cool. I remember like way back in the day Hooks drug store used to sell Atari 2600 cartridges...shows you how long I have been gaming as Hooks got eaten up by Walgreens decades ago and the 2600 was the dawn of gaming.....I wish my local drug store had video games that would really give me an extra incentive to go pick up the wife's feminine products...lol

10. Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Banned
    Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    Please stop making assumptions that this video = no need for GateWay.

Technically, this was already possible. This changes nothing.

The exploit used for Gateway already takes advantage of kernel access. You can pretty much do anything within the 3DS' power with the current exploit which we already have. We just don't know how to take advantage of it properly, yet.

This isn't anything new.
    This won't lead to a modified firmware, any faster than the progress we've already made would.

Again, this changes nothing. We already have full access. However, as stated, we don't know how to take advantage of it yet. ​

11. Gurjas

Gurjas Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2013
    Canada
    Lol

12. Gurjas

Gurjas Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2013
    Canada
    w
    Would that mean that theres no more need for gateway?

mercluke likes this.
  13. TheBlueSky

TheBlueSky Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2013
    United States
    Gateway is not needed, no one should buy Gateway.

14. Gurjas

Gurjas Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2013
    Canada
    how would roms be played then?

cearp likes this.
  15. umdking

umdking Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2013
    Finland
    I wonder where this video comes from?From the GW team or someone has nothing to do with GW?
    Since GW haven't put this on their official site,if it was made by other people,that means someone have already reverse engineered GW's methods?Really impressive.

16. Arnold0

Arnold0 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 1, 2011
    France
    Vire, France
    I wonder why gateway can't do homebrew when they just use an exploit with kernel access? Just changing what is in the dat file on the SD card with any working 3DS code should work, shouldn't it?

17. Thirty3Three
    This message by Thirty3Three has been removed from public view by raulpica, Sep 3, 2013, Reason: Bickering -rp.
    Sep 3, 2013
  18. Thirty3Three

Banned
    Mar 22, 2013
    United States

Well, it can, but nobody's created an app for it. Nor do we really no how to as of yet.

And to the last part, nope

19. TheBlueSky
    This message by TheBlueSky has been removed from public view by raulpica, Sep 3, 2013, Reason: Bickering -rp.
    Sep 3, 2013
  20. Gurjas

Gurjas Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2013
    Canada
    i guess i should wait until christmas before spending 80 for no reason:hateit: sigh I wanna play BRAVELY DEFAULT RIGHT NOW

Thirty3Three likes this.
  21. Thirty3Three
    This message by Thirty3Three has been removed from public view by raulpica, Sep 3, 2013, Reason: Bickering -rp.
    Sep 3, 2013
  22. TheBlueSky
    This message by TheBlueSky has been removed from public view by raulpica, Sep 3, 2013, Reason: Bickering -rp.
    Sep 3, 2013
  23. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    Will this be the possibility of better emulators? With the way better hardware than the DS. SNES and GBA emulators?

24. Thirty3Three

Banned
    Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    We'll need to learn more about the software and hardware first. Also we'll need a very talented team to work on the emulator after we discover more about they system.

But even so, the most we'd be able to run on a 3DS (Most-likely) is SNES-gen. N64 likely won't even be possible, let alone PSX.