Hardware 3DS Charging Tips? To prolong Battery Life.

New3DSPlayer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you charge your 3DS? Because I charge my 3DS every time it goes half battery and fully charge it. That is what the Good Habits of Charging according to the Internet.

Some says to charge it when the light turns red in your 3ds. Which I think is making more damage to the battery.

So how do you prolong the battery life of your 3DS?

What is your opinion?

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
How do you charge your 3DS? Because I charge my 3DS every time it goes half battery and fully charge it. That is what the Good Habits of Charging according to the Internet.

Some says to charge it when the light turns red in your 3ds. Which I think is making more damage to the battery.

So how do you prolong the battery life of your 3DS?

What is your opinion?
The battery don't care, it'sa Lithium Ion so its life shouldn't be shorter if you charge it at 75 or 5%, only a full "cycle of charge" matter, and also,
Li-ion battery age even when not used, so, even when the 3DS have the hability to NOT use the battery when plugged and 100% charge, it will still age, maybe slower tho (the DSi do not have that IIRC, the battery is drained and the power shutted off or smth like this, so it's charge the battery again every XX minutes unlike the 3DS).
So yeah, using the power cable when the battery is charged may help.

Last edited by nolimits59, , Reason: layout

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Get a nice three-metres long cable and use it always plugged in when at home. :P
better yet, remove the battery, play with your imagination and it will work forever as long as your brain can still function

"cycle of charge" matter
how do you count a charge cycle when you don't fully discharge it? i always hear about this term "charge cycle" don't understand what it is exacly since most of people charge devices when the battery is close but not fully empty

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
better yet, remove the battery, play with your imagination and it will work forever as long as your brain can still function

how do you count a charge cycle when you don't fully discharge it? i always hear about this term "charge cycle" don't understand what it is exacly since most of people charge devices when the battery is close but not fully empty
the electronic (the monitoring is the exact term i think) in the battery count it IIRC, like it knows when a cycle has been done, example, you charge your battery when you hit 75 every time, then on the 4th charge it will know that a cycle has been done. This is a cycle. and Li-Ion battery are guaranted to last like 400-500 cycles IIRC.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
the electronic (the monitoring is the exact term i think) in the battery count it IIRC, like it knows when a cycle has been done, example, you charge your battery when you hit 75 every time, then on the 4th charge it will know that a cycle has been done. This is a cycle. and Li-Ion battery are guaranted to last like 400-500 cycles IIRC.
so, the electronics after the 500 cycles will throw the programmed obsolescence shit? even tough the battery is still function correctly?

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
so, the electronics after the 500 cycles will throw the programmed obsolescence shit? even tough the battery is still function correctly?
No? It will just tell you how many cycles the battery has. It is there just for monitoring (and charging and temperature), but not for limitation (except Apple).

Last edited by Kubas_inko,
Reactions: nolimits59

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The Monitoring is not just for cycles, it regulate a lot of stuff also, example, when the charge is complete, it shut down the incoming power for the power suply to direct it to the device itself, it should also protect the battery from being totally discharged, becasue that would make it totally unusable x).

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The "1"/2/3DS/i/Lite/XL/knuckles don't actually even have a cycle counter (or any charge level measurement system apart from measuring the voltage - while otherwise rudimentary, this method means it's not significantly fooled by varying 100% capacities and doesn't need "monthly calibration"), and the electronics in the battery itself are just voltage/current safety cutoffs*;

but a cycle is by definition "charging the battery by 100%", regardless of how many parts/sessions you take to add 100 times 1%

The "cycle" logic is fallacious in the first place, as time since manufacturing, time spent at certain charge levels (ideal storage is at roughly 40%, keeping in mind self discharge - definitely not full and not empty), charging pattern (voltage/current output by the console), charging pattern (the highest and lowest percentage ranges are the most stressful), and cell brand/quality are other significant factors too!

* Look carefully near the contacts of your O3DS/O2DS/WiiU Pro Controller (or most later Nokia phones) battery: there's a sticker you can remove to find 2 small round pins, these are direct connections bypassing all the safeties, if you really dare to revive that 0 volt overdischarged thing you found in a New Mexico landfill in 2050...

On the topic of percentage, remember that the official battery meter is (estimating, due to the above reason, and) displaying a very misleading value - that 4-segment icon is not made of 25% each!

Last edited by Ryccardo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-