Hacking 3DS Bricking Rumor

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The guy in the store where I bought it said it will brick if it detected flashcarts and you'll have to pay 150 bucks to get it fixed. I don't think he really knows what he was talking about, but still...

D

Deleted User

Try making a 3DS cart and barriers start going up; it is like enabling GBA pirating on the DS - no-one cares. So 3DS will not be bricked using regular DS Flashcarts, but there is a possibility that with new 3DS Flashcarts coming out; bricking may happen

ben1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Arras said:
The guy in the store where I bought it said it will brick if it detected flashcarts and you'll have to pay 150 bucks to get it fixed. I don't think he really knows what he was talking about, but still...

Ok, make it simple, he sold you a 3DS, then he hopes to sell games also you know, so of course he will try to scare you about using games copy.....

xXVisionZXx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welll if its happening/not happenings then whatever... thats the reason i kept my DSi XL and only use my 3DS to play the 3D games when i feel like it. This keeps me from stressing out if my 3DS is going to be bricked or not =/

Gh0sti

iOS Guru
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well a couple of possibility but which would be
1. this being illegal is the big update coming in May would have something that could load into a flash cart and render it useless thus bricking a flash cart, of course this would be illegal, but maybe possible?
2. Denying Services, Online Game content/DLC being denied or using Nintendo's servers to play other players in games e.x. SSF43DE, or denying the firmware updates or new features to the 3DS system and you must pay $150 to remove that ban or to get updates to the firmware again, this could be possible but idk how legality could play in this

kristymb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couldn't we Just Format System Memory to delete The logs before each update? It says "This will delete downloaded software and all save data."

donelwero

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Nintendo won't brick the console. I don't even think they are talkin about flashcarts, just imagine the ammount of consoles being bricked for using a flascart, that won't happen. if you think about it, allowing flashcarts to be used - they can sell more consoles, flashcarts users will "upgrade" their DS/DSi to buy a 3DS and continue to use their flashcarts for ds/dsi games but that's it, they will still have to buy 3DS games.

What Nintendo doesn't want it's a custom firmware.

Masterpaul

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The user agreements wont hold any grounds. Its a no win situation, if you dont update you cant play the latest games (thats why you brought the system). Nintendo practically forces you to update.Its pure blackmail.

If your system gets bricked and Nintendo is responsible for it, by implementing a code or manually bricking it. You can sue them.

Lets see what happened in past cases. Apple failed to win in court… Sony, I doubt they will manage to win the case and I think they realize this. If you analyze there tactic, there trying to Economically Choke Geohot, and win the case this way.

Either way… this can get really nasty for Nintendo. And i think they could apply the “its ok to jailbreak” law to 3DS.

Piracy is illegal, but bricking the 3DS is not the way. There other legal methods. Collecting data from hidden and encrypted 3DS logs, whenever the 3Ds connects online. if someone gets caught pirating a game for more then a certain amount of hours. They receive an warning, the 2nd time a billing note, informing them to pay for the pirated software or there online store account and access to online multi-player will be suspended. However they would still be able to play games offline and update your firmware.

newtkiller

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nikola987 said:
Piracy-System-Update.jpg

unsure.gif
Anybody else notice that this update uses the old "may" terminology?

ben1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
zzz92 said:
I understand that the 3ds is our property and we have paid for the features that comes with it. But seriously, what's stopping Nintendo from bricking our units? Sony has did it with thousands of psp units, what's protecting song from law suits? I really want to know what are your view on this! Why cant Nintendo brick your device and charge you a sum to get it fixed? You can do that with the psp, it just cost you more because you have voided their warranty.

What is your source to say that? I didn't hear about Sony voluntarly brick PSP with some update when people did something they dislike...

Something to keep in mind, brick of course can happen if you run some hack system on the firmware, for some reasons, hacker can't plan any cases, it's just like any other software which can include bug and so, of course, sometimes a brick can happen even it was not the will of the hack team or of the game station maker.
You'll always hear few people to say they brick it at hack moment, but simply, yes it always can happen.
If it is a huge number of units, two solutions, hack team made a major bug in their software they didn't see before release their update and unfortunately it brick the game station, or maker brick it after an update. But I never ever here about similar situation.

GreenBanana

Trophies
Website
noino.iwarp.com
XP
Country
Just do what I do and don't play any video games at all if you can't afford it. If they really cared for us to buy video games, they'd give us jobs, which is what people need to abide the law.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Croaker said:
Hum...

In France, the use of flashcards is legal. (Nintendo lost their lawsuit against flashcartds dealers last year)

This means Nintendo can't limit the use of the 3DS in France by bricking it or blocking the access to the online features just because people used flashcarts. If they want to brick/block/ limit the use of your 3DS because you violated the copyright, they have to prove that roms were booted on the flashcard, then that the booted rom is an illegal one because you do not own the original game. And that will be quite diffucult to prove without paying a visit (
biggrin.gif
) to every flashcart user: "Hey, I'm Regis Fils-Aimee, And I'm about kicking your ass cause you used a flashcart!"

So any attempt of Nintendo to brick/block/limit the use of your 3DS in France is totally illegal.

I think French flashcarts users are pretty lucky.

Legally, French users can use flash cards. Legally, Nintendo can disable whatever they want on their own system unless it's something they advertised. Considering flashcards are unofficial devices, they have legal rights to limit their use, if they choose to. It's not like what Sony did with removing OtherOS, something they offered to consumers.

What I say to people here is just use your DS cards on your DS. This way, you don't even have to care for the scare tactics and you won't complain if/when Nintendo figures out a way to prevent them from running on 3DS. Unless of course, you have no DS..

vandawn

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
ok so to /block every rumour possibly going around
here is the deal
as i told on the 3ds faq or something thread i used my flashcard(r4igold.cc) this one on my 3ds on the spot when i first opened my 3ds
then i just updated
the update was successful and i still could use my flashcard on it
so for the problem of the activity log
this is what i can report to you
as many ppl said you can delete the log of the game you used from the software library but not the daily records.
so i just have to report to you that i deleted my daily records by formating the system
also the update that i did before stayed on my system meaning i am still on ver. 1.1.0-1E
so cheers.

kristymb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vandawn said:
here is the deal
as i told on the 3ds faq or something thread i used my flashcard(r4igold.cc) this one on my 3ds on the spot when i first opened my 3ds
then i just updated
as many ppl said you can delete the log of the game you used from the software library but not the daily records.
so i just have to report to you that i deleted my daily records by formating the system
also the update that i did before stayed on my system meaning i am still on ver. 1.1.0-1E
so cheers.

WOOT exactly what i was Thinking, yet had not tried yet.. Thanks =-)

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goofy Time said:
Croaker said:
Hum...

In France, the use of flashcards is legal. (Nintendo lost their lawsuit against flashcartds dealers last year)

This means Nintendo can't limit the use of the 3DS in France by bricking it or blocking the access to the online features just because people used flashcarts. If they want to brick/block/ limit the use of your 3DS because you violated the copyright, they have to prove that roms were booted on the flashcard, then that the booted rom is an illegal one because you do not own the original game. And that will be quite diffucult to prove without paying a visit (
biggrin.gif
) to every flashcart user: "Hey, I'm Regis Fils-Aimee, And I'm about kicking your ass cause you used a flashcart!"

So any attempt of Nintendo to brick/block/limit the use of your 3DS in France is totally illegal.

I think French flashcarts users are pretty lucky.

Legally, French users can use flash cards. Legally, Nintendo can disable whatever they want on their own system unless it's something they advertised. Considering flashcards are unofficial devices, they have legal rights to limit their use, if they choose to. It's not like what Sony did with removing OtherOS, something they offered to consumers.

What I say to people here is just use your DS cards on your DS. This way, you don't even have to care for the scare tactics and you won't complain if/when Nintendo figures out a way to prevent them from running on 3DS. Unless of course, you have no DS..
Actually, they can't legally brick the 3DS. you bought that 3DS, it's yours, Nintendo doesn't own your 3DS but they do own the 3DS product in general, thus they can't brick it legally.

That would be like saying I can't put my own ketchup on a burger I bought from a fast-food restaurant because the people who made it would get mad. The ketchup is 3rd-party and technically unauthorized, and the restaurant is the "company", so to speak.

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vandawn said:
here is the deal
then i just updated
so cheers.
As ridiculous as the rumors are, your post puts nothing to rest.

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the problem is, they can still legally prohibit the use of their online service

if there is a game that requires you to update, but nintendo has added sth to your system that basically tells the game "hey i used flashcarts", they can prohibit the update thus the game won't work?
that's what i was wondering about

because if you can still update through a legit game while they blocked the online service you can still update and get all the other features of it while using homebrew/playing backup games

and for pirates, losing e-shop is not a big deal

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Regardless fuck bezos
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Agreed. Crazy how both seeking a job at Amazon, and subsequently quitting Amazon, are both some of the best decisions I've ever made
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did someone loose a leg? You're fired
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs 55gb patch for hogwarts legacy
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Teslas are prob running Windows XP to this day.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    sometimes I wonder where I went wrong and why I'm so dissatisfied with my life
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Then I find myself arguing with someone on reddit about how blatantly wrong their understanding of the USB Power Delivery specification is.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    At 1 AM.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Where did I go wrong, again? 😕
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Sicklyboy, What do you mean?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, always blame women
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Blame woke.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Blame society.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Woke isn't part of society they woke up from it
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    *spends years yelling "wake up sheeple"
    *acts shocked when they actually wake up
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Make up your mind.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You mean the government doesn't care? :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have no idea what you're talking about.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The government
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol jedi fallen order crashed on SteamDeck through ea play guess the deck doesn't have the force
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Well it's called the "fallen" order, not the "stable" order.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The "smooth running" order.
    Veho @ Veho: The "smooth running" order.