3DS Black Line on top-screen problem

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by FPSrad, Mar 21, 2014.

1. FPSrad
    OP

FPSrad Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2013
    Hey,
    First of all sorry if this might not be the right topic to discuss some hardware issues but it does sort of relate to gateway I guess.
    While playing Pokemon recently I noticed my 3DS now had a thin vertical black line of what looks like dead pixels on the top-screen as shown in the image below:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    I have had this 3DS for nearly a year now (bought last summer) and it has never had any issues nor did I drop it or anything like that to warrant this kind of screen damage. This problem is definitely not unique as I've seen a few other posts of people having it happen to their touchscreens.

The line itself will not disappear at all and its visible everywhere including in the main menu, in-game, etc so it looks like I will have to send it back for a repair as it's still under warranty.
    My problem with this is that I run the game (Pokemon) in GW's emuNAND 7.x and knowing Nintendo even if I do restore everything to 4.X via formatting the emuNAND and clearing the SD card they will most likely update it to the latest firmware during the repair and then I won't be able to use my game's save as well as the gateway card itself.

As much as I wouldn't mind giving up with Gateway (lack of updates and support of features such as nand saves and pokebank) I have already gone through with it all and have the GW3DS hardware so it would be a huge waste to stop now, including the fact I still have to wipe my game save.

The other option is just keeping it as it is and maybe looking into screen repairs though I don't know where to even begin with such a thing.

What would you guys do in this situation? any recommendations?

2. alexenochs

alexenochs GBAtemp Fan

Aug 30, 2010
    United States
    Backup your 4.x band send it into Nintendo then if its updated send it to someone along with your backed up 4.x band to have it downgraded the only issue with this is if Nintendo decides the motherboard has a fault as well they will swap it out and u will be screwed

3. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yeah as alexenochs said best bet is to backup your nand, then send it for repair and downgrade when you get it back (assuming they don't replace the whole console or motherboard)

if they do replace it you could always then sell the repaired console and get a 4.x console again

4. lambstone

lambstone No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.

Banned
    Aug 14, 2011
    FPSrad

I would do something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Upper-T...375?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e7ee51d6f instead.

Chances are Ninty would fix the screen and then once they are done they would likely run a fully diagnostic array to make sure everything works fine and I strongly believe that updating to 7.1 is one of they thing they would do. Or they might just simply swap out your damaged 3DS with a refurb unit to expedite the process.

5. FPSrad
    OP

FPSrad Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2013
    Thanks for the replies. I will look into both ideas.

6. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Reminds me of my original 1989 Gameboy. I don't suppose pressing on the unit right under the screen will help here, though.

7. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    If pressing on it in certain spots, then it's more than likely the ZIF connector, not the screen. If it is the screen then it's the flex cable, and you can visibly see the error.