360 Controller for Windows question

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by 1337, Oct 31, 2008.

1. 1337
    OP

1337 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2008
    United States
    I wanted to purchase a Xbox 360 controller for a few of PC games. Which controller must I buy for it to work with Windows XP? The one with the cord or does the wireless one also work out of the box also? Basically I don't want to buy anything else to make it work and I am not sure if the wireless one will work out of the box. Does it have wireless usb adapter or something or must I get the wired one?

Any help would be appreciated

2. jargus

jargus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    United States
    Think you need a wireless receiver for the wireless controller. But I know for a fact that you can plug and play with the wired ones. I speak from experience.

3. juggernaut911

juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

Jul 13, 2006
    United States
    they dont work out of the box (you need the drivers (vista comes with them)) and i'd go wired

you computer needs bluetooth (I think thats it) to support the 360 wireless controller

4. Lee79

Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

Jul 29, 2007
    ctf_2fort
  5. Prime

Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 7, 2007
    Under your bed
    You have a choice:

Wired - Just buy a wired 360 controller and plug it in. Drivers i guess are avaible on Microsofts website. Wired controllers are cheap.

Wireless - You must need a receiver to go wireless. This plugs into a usb port then you sync your controller up to it. There is a special pc pack which has the controller and reciever in it. I don't believe you need bluetooth so i don't understand what juggernult is on about.

Since you just want to buy one thing and not another thing to make it work I'd go wired if i was you.

6. Sir-Fritz

Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

May 4, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    You can buy a special pc version of the wireless controller that comes with the receiver also.

7. Prime

Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 7, 2007
    Under your bed
    Yes, that what I was saying in my post.

8. 1337
    OP

1337 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2008
    United States
    Thanks for the help everyone.

So wait are these drivers better than the Microsoft drivers?

9. 754boy

754boy :D

Banned
    Oct 24, 2002
    United States
    Mississippi

In some games they are. I use them for San Andreas but for stuff like Gears or R6 Vegas, the standard drivers are better.

10. 1337
    OP

1337 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2008
    United States
    I google'd for the Microsoft Drivers for the 360 controller for Windows XP but it never showed a link to microsoft site. Can anyone point me to the official signed drivers from Microsoft?

11. Lee79

Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

Jul 29, 2007
    ctf_2fort
    Here you go http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download...category=Gaming

Xpadder is also useful for some games http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System...s/Xpadder.shtml

Controller Images, Game Profiles, Themes and Drivers for Xpadder http://www.xpadder.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=28

12. 1337
    OP

1337 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2008
    United States
    Many thanks [​IMG]

13. Sir-Fritz

Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

May 4, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Sounded as if you were saying that you had to buy the reciever extra (of which you can, but i wouldnt), not that you could buy a bundle of both.