1. Brainbow

OP Brainbow Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Hello,

I recently reached the 300 Icon limit on my Wii U.
    So i searched for a workaround and found this thread: gbatemp.net/threads/300-limit-of-wii-u-games.472709/page-4

It suggests that you create multiple users to spread the icons of the installed games across them.
    To differ the shown Icons you have to change the file BaristaAccountSaveFile.dat for each user.

The question of which I couldn't find an answer to is:
    - How can I dump this file to edit it on my computer?
    - How can I reinject it into the console?
    - I guess I could figure it out myself, but any tips how I should edit the file?

Any help would be appreciated.

PS:
    - The icon limit problem can not be solved by dragging the icons in custom folders on the wii u. Nintendo just put a hard limit on the console even if there are still empty spaces.
    - Please don't suggest deleting games I wouldn't play. I just like to have them anyway.
    - Please don't suggest moving the games from the console to an emulator. I tried several ones but they don't work like I would want them to.
    - Please don't ask how I could get this amount of games. There are many ways to get and inject them with extra tools to the console.

CORE likes this.
  2. CORE

CORE 3:16

United Kingdom
    I posted a similar question the other day convenience or what lol.

I know each folder has a 60 Title Limit. I would like to increase this for my Wii Games in particular. More Custom Colors for Folders.

Disc Icon cant be moved into a Folder.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Instead of putting every Wii game into one folder why not categorize them alphabetically? Wii A-M, N-Z for example. It makes it easier to find what you're looking for as well :)
    Have you tried RetroArch? What didn't you like about it?
    Homebrew emulators have far more features than Virtual Console, and don't have some of the annoying "features" of Virtual Console like the darkening filter applied to all N64 games. I don't understand why people insist on using VC.

jeannotte and CORE like this.
  4. CORE

United Kingdom
  5. Brainbow

OP Brainbow Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    90% of my injections are DS, GC, Wii and Wii U games. I don't think retroarch cover these?

I also tried USB Loader GX and WiiFlow Lite for GC and Wii Games.
    I definitely want to control the games with the Wii U Gamepad. So I injected the emulators on the Wii U.
    GC games are working fine, but Wii games are a problem.
    USB Loader GX can only load Wii games from USB. But if the emulator is injected to the Wii U, it can not initialize the USB Hard Drive.
    WiiFlow Lite can technically load Wii Games from the SD card, but if you want to start the game, there is an error message, that you need to be in vWii Mode to start the game.

And I don't want to use Loadiine for Wii U games...

Still have high hopes for manipulating the BaristaAccountSaveFile.dat

CORE likes this.
  6. CORE

United Kingdom
    Loadiine is good for DS/N64 Injects. Save some HDD Space and easier to tweak settings or for testing purposes.
    Not64/Wii64/WiiVC Compatability pretty much identical which is a real bummer.

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    That's a good point. One of the few great uses of Loadiine is VC injects. It just makes it so easy to add more games, literally copy+paste a folder, edit the icon and title in meta.xml, and replace the ROM file. Which could all be done automatically with a small batch file or a specialized application. And since the games are small and have no online functionality, the two main drawbacks of Loadiine (slow load times and no online support) are not an issue.

CORE likes this.
  8. CORE

United Kingdom
    I have custom Carts instead of Cover for Artwork looks awesome carousel.

9. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I can tell you to edit a .dat file you can use Notepad++ and if you want to extract and reinject the file from and to your Wii U, you can use ftpiiU, however, be careful, editing system files of the Wii U can absolutely lead to bricks if you make even a small mistake.

10. Brainbow

OP Brainbow Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Thank you for your reply.
    Maybe I am doing something wrong, but i do not have access to the Wii U files via FTPiiU, I can only access my SD card.
    But I found the App "FTPiiU Everywhere", which functions like you said.

Before i edit the BaristaAccountSaveFile.dat I have to make sure I can restore my Wii U, if it bricks.
    Then I will test to reinject the edited file.

11. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Sorry I should have specified you need the Everywhere version, that is correct. If you brick, the only way you can restore is with a hardmod, so be careful and make sure you have a NAND backup in case you do have to go down this route.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  12. freshgoatmilk

freshgoatmilk Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    There's a work around for the 300 limit on the 3DS (3DSBank by Robz8), I was wondering if the same can be applied to the WiiU?

13. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    there's already a way to go beyond that limit through system config tool, but you may be nagged about having too many games on the home screen unless some are deleted.

14. Brainbow

OP Brainbow Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    System Config Tool is a good way to get around the limit, unfortunately I couldn't find that app anywhere to download.
    But it isn't the prettiest solution in my opinion, when you have to select a game in a giant list.
    I'd rather work with the wii u folder, where I sort all my games alphabetically in folders and have icons for a short preview what the games are about.

Also the nagging about having to many games would be annoying.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  15. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I know of no other way. you might be able to do it with redNAND though, and a button press. never tried it.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Workaround, multiple, question